talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real Madrid (6) aet3-1 (5) Man City - Wednesday 4th May, 2022

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, MUFC said:

Also he was up against a top Dortmund side. I actually think that Bayern went backwards under Pep.

This has been a debate for years, its an interesting discussion point. The one thing I can say with absolution is that team under Pep was absolutely unstoppable in the league. Ive never seen a Bayern side dominate like that for 3 straight seasons without falter and while rotating too. That being said Pep's tinkering got us shit canned in two of three CL semi's. That Heynckes team was humming though and maybe the best side we've had in recent years anyways so honestly I dont even know its hard to gauge, also my memory from 10 years ago etc. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I don't think that all the players he's had in the last decade are individually mentally weak players who crumble under pressure, so it must be something to do with the preparation. 

I don't think they're mentally weak. Look at how they dominate the league... also you can't really play like that against a side like Real Madrid if you're not a very good team that's strong mentally.

But I think even good teams that have a winning mentality in the league can really struggle in knockout tournaments - especially the CL - if something happens off script and they let themselves think "oh no, not again." Like Barca those 3 years they were knocked out after big comebacks in the second leg recently - or City here after the first goal went in... but ESPECIALLY... after that second goal went in immediately after. They just seemed deflated going in right before extra time.

And if you start thinking like that against a side like Real Madrid, who've got an incredible "never say die" attitude, perhaps they can feel the City heads drop and they feed off that.

I like to laugh at Pep and City for constantly bottling... but Real Madrid going through, imo, says more about Real Madrid's mentality than City's. Against City and Chelsea they were outplayed, but it didn't matter because they had the attitude and ability to get through - there's something to be said about sides that can seemingly just will their way to get through ties where on the pitch they haven't looked the better side.

And I'm not really surprised - you can never, ever, rule out a side like Madrid in Europe.

I think the absolute shite that has won the Champions League before did it off the back of luck. I see no reason why someone good falling short can't also be a case of luck, the bad kind. It doesn't always have to be an approach problem.

4 hours ago, Honey Honey said:

I think the absolute shite that has won the Champions League before did it off the back of luck. I see no reason why someone good falling short can't also be a case of luck, the bad kind. It doesn't always have to be an approach problem.

100% you need luck in cup competition's 

17 hours ago, Stan said:

Whose arm is he going to break? 

That Real twat who rolled him over injuring his shoulder.

I've avoided joining in commenting in citeh as all the main streams have already done so.

I still don't think we'll take the premier league title but I do think we'll do the treble.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, patoriku66 said:

That Real twat who rolled him over injuring his shoulder

The one that now plays for PSG? 

On 04/05/2022 at 22:03, DeadLinesman said:

I really really really hate Real Madrid, but my erection is huge right now.

Did it go up to the full 4 inches :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Milan '93-94 and Barca '10-11 for me. 

I couldn’t disagree. I don’t know enough about how they played. Was this before lr after the offside rule was changed ?

• Administrator
18 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

How can you win the treble without winning the league?

Cup treble he means. League Cup, FA Cup and CL. 

On 05/05/2022 at 13:07, Tommy said:

Absolutely. Especially if it's someone with no ties to club and city whatsoever. 

This is why Brentford FC are the greatest club in England.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Cup treble he means. League Cup, FA Cup and CL. 

They'll have to get past Sergio Ramos' Madrid first though :ph34r:.

But seriously, it would still be a huge achievement and show just what Klopp has formed them into. Simply fighting for.all 4 by this stage of the season is nothing to look away at itself.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

They'll have to get past Sergio Ramos' Madrid first though :ph34r:.

But seriously, it would still be a huge achievement and show just what Klopp has formed them into. Simply fighting for.all 4 by this stage of the season is nothing to look away at itself.

Definitely. Monumental achievement in any sense. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived