talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real Madrid (6) aet3-1 (5) Man City - Wednesday 4th May, 2022

You cant blame Pep for what happened in both legs of this semi, we missed 9 clear chances to score in the first leg and last night Real only had 1 shot on target in 90mins before the 2mins of pure voodoo curse hit us. losing Walker is not Peps fault, maybe he subbed De Bruyne and Mahrez off too early but we was 2 goals up at that stage and Madrid hadn't even had a shot on target at that point and we have the Premier League still to win

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm surprised how many people are just assuming that Liverpool would rather play Real Madrid in a European final than Man City. It's a toss up for me. City clearly have a better team than Real Madrid but we've just seen last night a massive reminder of how likely they'd be to bottle it in the final. The counter-argument is that Man City might fare better against another English team in a Champions League final but it didn't help them last season.

After his comments the other night and the below, I think it's fair to say Mo Salah wanted Madrid :D

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

That team though. You truly realise  how great it was when looking back now.

Iconic and legendary really. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

This isn't Peps fault, that isn't Peps fault blah blah blah

He is failing miserably at delivering what the owners of City wanted from the start. 

Not fit to lace Klopps boots.

It's one person saying it wasn't Pep's fault? 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

After his comments the other night and the below, I think it's fair to say Mo Salah wanted Madrid :D

Whose arm is he going to break? 

4 hours ago, Toinho said:

More proof that Pep is overrated. Sure, he has tactically made his mark on recent football, but wow, not even in the same category as Klopp for me.

I think Pep might be the best coach from a technical perspective, and that brings consistent league dominance, but he's not the strongest coach in terms of mentality, where Klopp is better, and that is more of a factor in the biggest cup competition.

Pep builds great teams and great teams win the league.

Pep is not a master technician in a one-off match and this is where he falls down.

It is for me why he will never win the Champions league because you normally come against master technicians once it reaches the knockout phase.

To put it simply.. if I woke up tomorrow and heard Klopp had gone to Man City with Pep coming here... I'd genuinely be upset because I'd feel we had lost something. 

For me (and I don't even think it's debatable), Klopp is the best manager around today. Possibly one of the best of all time, and I honestly mean that.

What he has done for this club is massive.

• Subscriber
51 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

To put it simply.. if I woke up tomorrow and heard Klopp had gone to Man City with Pep coming here... I'd genuinely be upset because I'd feel we had lost something. 

For me (and I don't even think it's debatable), Klopp is the best manager around today. Possibly one of the best of all time, and I honestly mean that.

Klopp has proved more at Liverpool than Pep has at any of his clubs since Barcelona. Obviously even then he had a stronger starting position than Klopp had at Liverpool but he deserves credit for coming up with a tactical setup that revolutionised what was possible with possession football.

I think in terms of tactics and being able to win, they are the equal of each other, but Klopp has certainly shown a better ability to elevate a club over a number of years. I don't think Pep should necessarily be judged on his record in the Champions League because it is still only a knockout competition with so many more variables that can affect the outcome than a league campaign. He refreshed Barcelona, Bayern and Man City to restore them to their natural positions in those leagues and instil a ruthless consistency and efficiency in his teams which turned them into title-winning factories. I'd like to see how he'd cope going to a team in a position like Liverpool were when Klopp arrived. It would genuinely be interesting to see whether he could do something similar.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Klopp has proved more at Liverpool than Pep has at any of his clubs since Barcelona. Obviously even then he had a stronger starting position than Klopp had at Liverpool but he deserves credit for coming up with a tactical setup that revolutionised what was possible with possession football.

I think in terms of tactics and being able to win, they are the equal of each other, but Klopp has certainly shown a better ability to elevate a club over a number of years. I don't think Pep should necessarily be judged on his record in the Champions League because it is still only a knockout competition with so many more variables that can affect the outcome than a league campaign. He refreshed Barcelona, Bayern and Man City to restore them to their natural positions in those leagues and instil a ruthless consistency and efficiency in his teams which turned them into title-winning factories. I'd like to see how he'd cope going to a team in a position like Liverpool were when Klopp arrived. It would genuinely be interesting to see whether he could do something similar.

Bit unfair on Heynckes considering he won the triple the season before Guardiola arrived.

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Bit unfair on Heynckes considering he won the tribble the season before Guardiola arrived.

Also he was up against a top Dortmund side. I actually think that Bayern went backwards under Pep.

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Pep's City has absolutely hammered Klopps Liverpool a few times, Klopp has never been able to hammer Pep's City because Pep has his number

4 hours ago, Stan said:

I think he has to shoulder some of the blame for taking off two of his most influential players (De Bruyne & Mahrez). De Bruyne, especially. He controls games for Man City. It was almost some kind of mental block that had been lifted for Real the moment he left the pitch. 

It's a shame Walker had to go off as they looked pretty solid - not saying that's Pep's fault though. 

City should of won that game and had them dead and buried first leg cut yeh he makes some odd changes at times to me kdb looked knackered. Anchelotti subs worked a treat. 

French kid worked his bollocks off and the Brazilian kid did the trick with his goals. 

My boss is a city fan and she was posting about flights to Paris 😂 ✈ I screen shot it and resent it when she deleted the post 

13 hours ago, Tommy said:

Yea, I get that. It feels really weird to me that most of English football just sell their souls to the highest bidder. It is not at all what football should be all about. 

And yet we have Red Bullshit Leipzig terrorizing our league. Luckily with little success so far. 

Would you be against an extremely wealthy new owner taking over Fortuna Dusseldorf? An owner who was willing to spend a lot of money to bring in better players?

3 minutes ago, Michael said:

Would you be against an extremely wealthy new owner taking over Fortuna Dusseldorf? An owner who was willing to spend a lot of money to bring in better players?

Absolutely. Especially if it's someone with no ties to club and city whatsoever. 

33 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Pep's City has absolutely hammered Klopps Liverpool a few times, Klopp has never been able to hammer Pep's City because Pep has his number

There has been two off the top of my head. The one where Mane was sent off early and the one where Liverpool were still pissed after winning the league. 

I'd class 5-1 on aggregate in the Champions League in 2018 as a hammering.

56 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Absolutely. Especially if it's someone with no ties to club and city whatsoever. 

Fair enough, but I know a lot of fans of clubs who would welcome a wealthy owner. The prospect of a new owner coming in to improve the club is appealing among many a football fan. I guess here in England this type of culture is much more accepted than it is in Germany though.

I still standby the fact that I think Pep suffers from Biesla syndrome of being incredibly elaborate and detailed and not being able to disseminate all of the information to his players. People get very tunnel visioned with Guardiola, since he has known only success people magnify any of his failures, people also readily dismiss how much he changed Barcelona and Bayern, especially the former.

. Barcelona 10-11 was the greatest team ever.

My guess is that the basic issue with Pep is that his approach is in a sense too thorough. 

The more information and the more detailed your instructions are, the more shocking it must be for the players when they are confronted with the unexpected and they aren't able carry-out the instructions. 

It would go some way to explaining why slight setbacks seem to so quickly turn into disasters for City. When things aren't working, it's too difficult to change things without his input. 

I don't think that all the players he's had in the last decade are individually mentally weak players who crumble under pressure, so it must be something to do with the preparation. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived