talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Season Review

Favourite 'Fuck me, get in there' Goal of the Season for your team?

Favourite 'Have that you bastards' Goal of the season not involving your team?

Favourite 'I am absolutely buzzing I'm gonna watch those highlights again' Match of the Season, involving your club?

Favourite 'Fair play, I enjoyed that' Match of the Season not involving your club?

The 'That's it, everyone and everything can just fuck off' lowest point of the Season?

Favourite 'Inject that into my vains' moment of the Season?

Biggest 'Fuck, I didn't see that coming' surprise/shock of the Season?

That one game that really pissed you off you wish you could replay, that could have made a difference to your season and why?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
27 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Tielemans vs Brentford - thunderbolt on the half volley. Flew in to the back of the net. 

Mo Salah vs Man City - the incredible footwork and speed to create the goal. Messi was a master of it for seasons, Salah encapsulated that same feeling to just recreate that kind of magic in one of the biggest games of the season. 

Favourite 'I am absolutely buzzing I'm gonna watch those highlights again' Match of the Season, involving your club?

Leicester 4-2 Man Utd - I don't think we were in the best of form at the time but over the past few seasons, we've actually got a very good record over Man Utd. We went 1 up through a cross-shot from Tielemans which looped over De Gea. Man Utd equalised through a cracking Greenwood goal (ugh) and only 20 mins had been played. Despite the entertaining nature of the game, it wasn't until the final 15 mins when the next 4 goals were scored. Soyuncu got us back into the lead, but Leicester never do things easy and Rashford equalised for Man Utd again. But, straight from kick-off we were back in the lead. Castagne gets chopped down, referee plays on, Perez crosses for an unmarked Vardy and he finishes past De Gea. Daka rounded off the victory in stoppage time.  

Favourite 'Fair play, I enjoyed that' Match of the Season not involving your club?

Man City 2-2 Liverpool - whether you supported either club or not, it felt like everyone just came away from that match grateful to be able to watch two exemplary sides play such free-flowing attacking football. Everyone just seemed to enjoy it and because the title pretty much rode on the game if Man City did win, it had that added level of nerves no doubt for both sides. As a neutral, it was thrilling.  

The 'That's it, everyone and everything can just fuck off' lowest point of the Season?

Forest 4-1 Leicester in the FA Cup. Enough said, really.  

Fofana scoring against Rennes. His season was pretty much fucked the moment his leg got broken in pre-season. The expectation is that he would miss the whole season. Shortly after signing a new contract, he makes his return in the Europa Conference League play-off 2nd Leg game. Scores tied at 2-2 on aggregate. Fofana leaps highest to head in from a corner just after half-time. Absolutely buzzing seeing the joy and happiness on his face. We've all felt it - seeing a player cruelly miss several months of the season through no fault of their own. There's only so many words that can describe the elation you feel seeing that player not only make a return to the pitch, but to score such an important goal in such a pivotal game of the season. 

Leicester going about 6 or 7 games not conceding from a corner...

That one game that really pissed you off you wish you could replay, that could have made a difference to your season and why?

Where to start xDOne game earlier in the season against Brighton where we had two goals disallowed due to bizarre VAR interpretations. 

The one that stands out (other than the Forest game) was the Leicester 2-3 Spurs game. 2-1 up in the 95th minute. And we lose. Never felt so sick. Even when they score the equaliser to make it 2-2 we should have just seen the game out. But straight from kick off Tielemans gives possession away and because we'd committed players forward to go for the win, they broke and Bergwijn scored again. 

We had a real trouble with game management this season. Conceded several late goals which denied us valuable points. That game, West Ham, Newcastle, Everton away. 11 points dropped there from where we were winning/drawing and we've conceded in stoppage time. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Probably Mo Salah's vs City earlier in the season. Ridiculously good goal. Either that or the equaliser against Villareal when it looked clear that we'd killed any hope of them having a comeback in the tie.

It's not in the league but... when Young Boys scored the winner against United in stoppage time.

Pick one of the times we played United in the league this season. Humiliated the twats with performances that can only be described as erection inducing. TWICE.

Brighton 4 - 0 Man United.

Villa conceding that third to City. Useless cunts.

That or the draw to Spurs, thought that was pretty poor. Or the loss to West Ham. Weirdly the draw to Spurs felt worse - probably because that was truly the moment we lost the league.

So many tbh, honestly what a crazy year to be a Liverpool fan. Take your pick from smashing United twice, Everton once, or each semi-final victory that took us to 3 fucking finals.

Or Harvey Elliot scoring on his return after that really shit injury.

Us making 3 finals while simultaneously making City actually work for a title.

That last draw to Spurs. We could have beat them and if we did, I think we'd have won the title.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Conor Gallagher's late goal against Manchester City to make it 2-0. Essentially guaranteed the win.

Kevin de Bruyne's fourth goal for Man City against Wolves. Purely for FPL purposes.

Manchester City 0 - 2 Crystal Palace

Manchester City vs Liverpool.

Maupay's last minute equaliser.

Beating Man City.

Drawing to Man City.

Losing to Everton cost us 9th place.

Favourite 'Fuck me, get in there' Goal of the Season for your team?

Jack Harrison at West Ham to make it 3-2. It was classic Leeds under Bielsa, lethal, swift counter attack with Raphinha laying a deadly ball through for Harrison to elegantly chip over the keeper and into the net for his hat-trick.

Favourite 'Have that you bastards' Goal of the season not involving your team?

Probably have to say Kovacic v Liverpool. It was just a stunning goal and Neville gave one of his little orgasm noises that probably emphasised the quality of it that little bit more.

3-2 win at Wolves. The comeback from 2-0 down to injury time winner, in the situation we were in was the stuff of dreams.

Favourite 'Fair play, I enjoyed that' Match of the Season not involving your club?

Ironically, all three in the league I'm thinking of involved Liverpool. The 3-3 at Brentford was excellent end to end stuff and the Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool was a brilliant watch but I'd have to say the Spurs 2-2 Liverpool was an absolute belter for me.

City 4-3 Real was without doubt my ultimate fave though. Just a fantasy game that.

I think seeing Bielsa go was absolutely horrible, especially watching all the videos of fans flocking to say their goodbyes to him. He was visably crushed, heartbroken such was his love for the club and that stung. I also thought that was the point we were going down.

Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool and captaining Salah for FPL in said game. I didn't want that 1st half to end. 

Biggest 'Fuck, I didn't see that coming' surprise/shock of the Season?

Chelsea 1-4 Brentford. That really shocked me as it came out of the blue given the form Chelsea were in and given Brentford were in the relegation battle, you kinda assumed they wouldn't get any points there, let alone three. 

Everton away. It was such a big game for them and we just didn't turn up and rolled over for them. If we could have got a result there, I think we would have saved ourselves a lot more pain down the home straight and psycholigically hurt them.

Favourite 'Fuck me, get in there' Goal of the Season for your team? Salah v Man City 

Favourite 'Have that you bastards' Goal of the season not involving your team? The ones that come to mind immediately were all scored by teams I can't stand, so I'll pass.

Favourite 'I am absolutely buzzing I'm gonna watch those highlights again' Match of the Season, involving your club? Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool

Favourite 'Fair play, I enjoyed that' Match of the Season not involving your club? Tottenham's comeback at Leicester was pretty special.

The 'That's it, everyone and everything can just fuck off' lowest point of the Season? Has to be the last day given how it panned out 

Favourite 'Inject that into my vains' moment of the Season? So many. I'll go with Origi's injury time winner at Wolves. Wasn't even watching as it was a 3pm kick off and I was out that day. Great moment seeing it pop up on Soccer Saturday and the pub erupting though.

Biggest 'Fuck, I didn't see that coming' surprise/shock of the Season? Watford twatting Everton and Man Utd, their only two wins under Ranieri if I recall xD

That one game that really pissed you off you wish you could replay, that could have made a difference to your season and why? Tottenham away. Aside from the awful refereeing performance, we went there without Van Dijk, Fabinho and Thiago (all Covid if I recall) and Tyler Morton in midfield. Around a time teams were getting games called off on the regular. 

• Subscriber

Tielemans v Brentford. Just an unbelievable strike. It's extra funny given it was against Brentford because they're the most openly data driven club going and this was a huge anomaly. The fact Tielemans had the audacity to score from distance against Thomas Frank was funny.

Salah v Man City springs to mind. Really was a brilliant individual goal.

I think probably Manchester United at home. That was the most fun 90 minutes of the season. We were pretty disappointing for the most part but we were good in that game, they played right into our hands and we punished them.

Favourite 'Fair play, I enjoyed that' Match of the Season not involving your club?
Brentford 2-0 Arsenal. I don't think this was the best game as such but I really don't think you could've had a much better opening day to start a season where football felt back to normal again. It was the return of full stadiums done absolutely brilliantly. I associate hey jude with them now and we bloody sing it ourselves.

Very very easy for me. Going to Forest and losing pathetically like that, while a league above them, as holders of the FA Cup was absolutely disgusting. One of the worst afternoons I've ever had following us. We all quietly suspected it would go wrong but I don't think even the most pessimistic Leicester fan could've seen it going quite that badly.

I think beating Liverpool at home. I gave us absolutely no chance having just played Man City two days before and having named an XI I'd expect to stumble against Norwich.

I think Everton probably have to take this. I don't see any major shocks in the league bar them. I knew they could be rubbish but it went into overdrive this season and they went as short as 4/9 for the drop I believe. What's largely forgotten with them is they actually had 10 points after 4 games and 13 after 6. I'd love to know what price you'd have got on them to drop at those points.

Tottenham getting Conte shocked me a bit as well I think. Bodo/Glimt beating Roma 6-1 another.

Tottenham at home is the obvious one for me. An utter embarrassment to be winning the game in the 95th minute and lose. We broke the record by four minutes!!! I'd become numb to us conceding silly goals but even in that game, despite it being relatively dead rubber (feeling) I was absolutely gutted, genuinely gobsmacked at how we managed it. I think I was just stood there hands on my head, jaw-dropped at what I'd just witnessed.

A dark horse for this though is losing 4-1 at West Ham on the 2nd day. To get thrashed like that against probably our nearest rivals on the pitch set a really, really bad tone for the season. I kind of knew after just two games it wasn't going to be good.

Callum Wilson overhead kick vs Crystal Palace in October 

All 934 goals conceded by Man United.   James Rodriguez goal vs Man United for Burnley. 

Newcastle v Arsenal beat out Newcastle vs Everton

Every game Man United played against Man City and Liverpool.   The mental meltdown was real. 

August to October 2021

3-1 win at St James Park vs Everton on 1 February which turned the season around,  the team was off a hold on for life win vs Leeds and Everton was a must win 6 pointer.   That result lifted everyone. 

Everton beating Chelsea

Chelsea (A) and Everton (A),  two games we didn't deserve to lose and had enough chances to win.   If we win them or take at least 4 points we finish in the top 10 which ultimately was the second half of the season goal. 

Leon Bailey vs Everton. The o.g corner & the goal. Sadly his only goals of the season.

I'm struggling to be specific. I enjoyed Brentford being so competitive. Felt rather envious of what West Ham were doing in the league for so long & in Europe. And Rangers too for that matter. 

Bailey vs Everton or Ings vs Newcastle.

Liverpool 2-2 Man City

Losing 2-3 to Wolves after being 2 up. Then 3-1 at Arsenal. Followed by 1-4 to West Ham. Followed by Dean Smith being axed. Felt like relegation was on the menu rather than mid-table, and perhaps even sniffing around European possibilities.

The manager change perhaps confused people at the time. Some seemed rather 'yeah, but know your place' about it. Including the Toffee-Fox-Hotspur guy from Match of the Day. But it was bad. As Steven Gerrard will now describe to anyone who wishes to hear it. Yes, even Mr Nice Guy Walkers snack crisps was kind of fucking me off at that stage.

Bailey vs Everton or Ings vs Newcastle. Or dismantling Southampton 4-0.

Calum Chambers mid range curler vs Leeds.

The Wolves game when Villa gave up a 2 goal lead.

Or the West Ham 1-4.

• Subscriber

Stan mentioning that Tielemans goal against Manchester United has just reminded me our reprobate fans voted that goal of the season over his Brentford goal. Absolutely bonkers.

• Subscriber

Has to be the obvious one, Dominic Calvert-Lewin vs Crystal Palace. Honourable mentions have to go to Alex Iwobi vs Newcastle, Demarai Gray vs Arsenal and Vitalii Mykolenko against Leicester. In a season like this, there are so many goals you could take away that would have ruined your season if they didn't happen.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of one. Tried to think of one that Watford, Leeds or Burnley conceded but I genuinely can't. Perhaps the one that Teemu Pukki scored against Burnley that helped us out. Instead I'm going to cop out with one that fits the category if not the name of this award. Christian Eriksen vs Chelsea.

I can't look past Everton 3-2 Crystal Palace. Hate to use it twice but most games we've won this season have been horrible one goal survival missions which I'd sooner forget. Honourable mention for Everton 3-0 Leeds as that's probably our most dominant and enjoyable win of the season.

Genuinely can't remember. I was so done with football for most of the season that I didn't watch much of other teams. The back end of Man City 3-2 Aston Villa is the only thing I can think of because it was only a few days ago.

The penalty we weren't given against Brentford which should have been and then also culminated in a red card for one of our defenders due to play carrying on. An absolutely horrible feeling going from leading in a game that would have secured safety with two games to go to then being back in the mix. Also when Ayew scored against us in the following game moments after a clear red card wasn't given. Add this to the infamous Rodri handball incident and it says a lot that the Gordon penalty claim at Anfield doesn't even make the top three of biggest grievances we've had with the officiating this season. Not just the season either, all of these incidents came during Lampard's tenure which is February onwards. This was not the year that we could do with so many decisions going against us in key moments.

I'll be honest, it's Palace again. But I'll choose something different this time and go for the scenes in the away end after Leicester 1-2 Everton and knowing that at that point, only a disaster could send us down.

Hearing that Burnley had gone 2-1 up at Watford a few weeks ago on the radio in the car when last I'd checked they were 1-0 behind with 10 minutes left was a gut punch at the time.

Burnley 3-2 Everton. We were 2-1 up in that game knowing that if we held on we'd be 10 points clear of relegation. Made life so much harder for ourselves bottling that although it arguably also acted as the catalyst to turn things around in the games that were left.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I'll be honest, it's Palace again. But I'll choose something different this time and go for the scenes in the away end after Leicester 1-2 Everton and knowing that at that point, only a disaster could send us down.

They were pretty special to watch to be honest - guess it's relatable considering it wasn't that long ago we were in the same position.

Been a long time where fans have just sang non-stop since half-time and then carried on after full-time at King Power. 

Back to back titles with no striker and an injury crisis towards the end of the season, not bad. only complaint is we shouldn't of lost to Real Madrid in that freak away loss with that injury time madness, we should of won the CL this year  ..now we have Haaland & Alvarez and midfield reinforcements on the way, next season should bring more silverware B|

5 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Back to back titles with no striker and an injury crisis towards the end of the season, not bad. only complaint is we shouldn't of lost to Real Madrid in that freak away loss with that injury time madness, we should of won the CL this year  ..now we have Haaland & Alvarez and midfield reinforcements on the way, next season should bring more silverware B|

Ah, sounds pretty boring to me mate, no wonder no one wants to go and watch wins all the time. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Ah, sounds pretty boring to me mate, no wonder no one wants to go and watch wins all the time. 

It did get boring fast tbh, glad we gave Villa a 75minute head start on the final day to make it interesting :4_joy:  ..cant wait to see Haaland & Alvarez in this team though B|

5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

There was one man who you couldn't beat in England this season...

C4n690JWYAEWb8F.jpg

• Subscriber
37 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Yeah but you couldn't hold down a manager for both games.

Maybe if you’d changed managers you might have beaten them twice instead of a pathetic 4 points 

Archived