talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do you hate Liverpool ?

football forum

Are they paranoid or Liverpoolophobia is a thing ?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are they paranoid or Liverpoolophobia is a thing ?

• Rival of Liverpool, yes I do
    • English footy follower, yes I do
    • English footy follower, no I don't
    • Non follower, yes I do
    • Non follower, no I don't
    • I don't care about them

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really care about them.  If a meteorite hit anfield and destroyed all record of Liverpool FC and cosmic fumes made Liverpudlians oblivious to the existence of LFC,  wouldn't really care.   It's all just banter,  much like Man United fans are having to pay the toll for the arrogance of their past.  

Liverpoolaphobia is a load of tosh. 

It's not hate, and I think I can speak for the majority of people who are not Everton fans. 

Liverpool are a massive club with a large fan base and decades worth of success. Since the majority of our lifetime, they bragged how big they were as a club during their league title drought, and now that they are winning again, their ego has inflated. 

I think people want Liverpool to fail due to the sheer amount of respect they have for the club. When they win, it means something. 

I don't hate any team really. If Liverpool disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't affect my life or view of the sport in any manner. I just like taking the piss, and for some reasons some fans of Liverpool and Everton online tend to take nearly every dangle of bait, I don't know why, maybe they feel defensive for some reason, maybe because both teams are very popular and share a city. It's fine though, till you can tell they are sincerely upset, then it is just awkward.

I do hate English football though, but not for typical reasons, because it's a corrupt circle jerk of powerhouse teams financially backed by foreign owners that the fans wank  themselves over the weirdest shit.
'MY TEAM BOUGHT A TITLE WITH X MONEY NOT Y MONEY'
'MY TEAM IS AMBIGUOUSLY BIGGER THAN YOUR TEAM'
'MY TEAM HAS BETTER FANS EVEN THOUGH OUR TEAM DERIVES OUR LOCAL FANBASE FROM A POPULATION OF SEVERAL MILLION INSTEAD OF SEVERAL THOUSAND'
'I'M A REAL FAN AND YOU ARE NOT BECAUSE YOU LIVE 2km EAST IN THE TOWN OVER'
It's an national cope, and it is very tiring seeing English people talk shit about each other's home town, as if there is a massive cultural divide. I don't get it, but hey you guys seem to love it, so go nuts.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

It's not hate, and I think I can speak for the majority of people who are not Everton fans. 

Liverpool are a massive club with a large fan base and decades worth of success. Since the majority of our lifetime, they bragged how big they were as a club during their league title drought, and now that they are winning again, their ego has inflated. 

I think people want Liverpool to fail due to the sheer amount of respect they have for the club. When they win, it means something. 

There is a massive dislike/hatred for scousers in England, decades upon decade of misinformation spread about Hillsborough that has informed loads of bad takes on what happened. On top of that it is a staunchly Labour city and that doesn’t really go down well in a lot of Tory voting areas. Liverpool FC being the biggest club in Liverpool, alongside Hillsborough, means that they are targeted the most with anti-scouse rhetoric. Bin dippers, never work again, thieves, victims etc. Its a level of abuse that’s so specific to being Scouse and supporting Liverpool that doesn’t really exist anywhere else.

That is where most of the dislike for Liverpool comes from, them being a club that are winning atm just inflates that.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

There is a massive dislike/hatred for scousers in England, decades upon decade of misinformation spread about Hillsborough that has informed loads of bad takes on what happened. On top of that it is a staunchly Labour city and that doesn’t really go down well in a lot of Tory voting areas. Liverpool FC being the biggest club in Liverpool, alongside Hillsborough, means that they are targeted the most with anti-scouse rhetoric. Bin dippers, never work again, thieves, victims etc. Its a level of abuse that’s so specific to being Scouse and supporting Liverpool that doesn’t really exist anywhere else.

That is where most of the dislike for Liverpool comes from, them being a club that are winning atm just inflates that.

Yeah but this is an international website and the Premier League is no longer England's league, it is the most watched league in the world, most people aren't exposed to that information. Half the posters in this thread aren't even from the UK.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

@Danny never mind I speed read and missed 'In England' xD

All I would say is if you are a foreign fan you are quite likely to get involved with types of "banter" that already exists. Say if you support Chelsea and you are from Sydney and you see Chelsea fans making jokes about scousers that fall into the bracket of what I mentioned above you might think it's just general football banter and the underlying socioeconomic reasons behind a lot of those types of comments might be irrelevant to you. But the comments themselves come from something far more serious. Which I think is one of the reasons, and not to bring this up again but just an observation, as to why @LFCMikegot so angry the other night.

Because there were a lot of comments about Liverpool fans on the night jumping fences, arriving without tickets, causing crushes and bottlenecks and thats a stigma that has been wrongly associated with the club and it's fans for decades after they were wrongly blamed for Hillsborough. I'm not saying this relates to you directly, but it's just a good example of how even being a foreign fan with no real connection to Liverpool as a city or the politics that has surrounded it you could end up jumping on those stereotypes without even realising you're doing it. And fuck it, you could just be some kid in England in Bristol or Darlington who has no real understanding of why the comments are made but jump on them the same because everyone else does.

That was much longer than I wanted it to be lol, but I couldn't find a succinct way of trying to say that.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

All I would say is if you are a foreign fan you are quite likely to get involved with types of "banter" that already exists. Say if you support Chelsea and you are from Sydney and you see Chelsea fans making jokes about scousers that fall into the bracket of what I mentioned above you might think it's just general football banter and the underlying socioeconomic reasons behind a lot of those types of comments might be irrelevant to you. But the comments themselves come from something far more serious. Which I think is one of the reasons, and not to bring this up again but just an observation, as to why @LFCMikegot so angry the other night.

Because there were a lot of comments about Liverpool fans on the night jumping fences, arriving without tickets, causing crushes and bottlenecks and thats a stigma that has been wrongly associated with the club and it's fans for decades after they were wrongly blamed for Hillsborough. I'm not saying this relates to you directly, but it's just a good example of how even being a foreign fan with no real connection to Liverpool as a city or the politics that has surrounded it you could end up jumping on those stereotypes without even realising you're doing it. And fuck it, you could just be some kid in England in Bristol or Darlington who has no real understanding of why the comments are made but jump on them the same because everyone else does.

That was much longer than I wanted it to be lol, but I couldn't find a succinct way of trying to say that.

Not gonna lie, I thought the jumping fences was in relation to the recent pitch invading and not Hillsborough.

30 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don't hate any team really. If Liverpool disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't affect my life or view of the sport in any manner. I just like taking the piss, and for some reasons some fans of Liverpool and Everton online tend to take nearly every dangle of bait, I don't know why, maybe they feel defensive for some reason, maybe because both teams are very popular and share a city. It's fine though, till you can tell they are sincerely upset, then it is just awkward.

I do hate English football though, but not for typical reasons, because it's a corrupt circle jerk of powerhouse teams financially backed by foreign owners that the fans wank  themselves over the weirdest shit.
'MY TEAM BOUGHT A TITLE WITH X MONEY NOT Y MONEY'
'MY TEAM IS AMBIGUOUSLY BIGGER THAN YOUR TEAM'
'MY TEAM HAS BETTER FANS EVEN THOUGH OUR TEAM DERIVES OUR LOCAL FANBASE FROM A POPULATION OF SEVERAL MILLION INSTEAD OF SEVERAL THOUSAND'
'I'M A REAL FAN AND YOU ARE NOT BECAUSE YOU LIVE 2km EAST IN THE TOWN OVER'
It's an national cope, and it is very tiring seeing English people talk shit about each other's home town, as if there is a massive cultural divide. I don't get it, but hey you guys seem to love it, so go nuts.

Super petty stuff,  good thing it means nothing to me. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Not gonna lie, I thought the jumping fences was in relation to the recent pitch invading and not Hillsborough.

The jumping the fences part is more in relation to how ticketless Liverpool fans on the day were being blamed for getting into the stadium and causing the bottleneck. As a side to that there's probably a mental image too of Liverpool fans having to climb the fence in the game to avoid the crush, which they were blamed for causing.

Obviously there will be natural rivalries with Everton or United where the rivalry stays sporting, but most comments you will hear against Liverpool fans and scousers in general will have some relation to Hillsborough or the poverty the city suffered at the hands of the Tories.

3 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Super petty stuff,  good thing it means nothing to me. 

It is petty, but I guess it is a natural conclusion to a close circuit success. It's not like a team can just turn things around with hard work and talented individuals without being a mulit-million pound entity.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

The jumping the fences part is more in relation to how ticketless Liverpool fans on the day were being blamed for getting into the stadium and causing the bottleneck. As a side to that there's probably a mental image too of Liverpool fans having to climb the fence in the game to avoid the crush, which they were blamed for causing.

Obviously there will be natural rivalries with Everton or United where the rivalry stays sporting, but most comments you will hear against Liverpool fans and scousers in general will have some relation to Hillsborough or the poverty the city suffered at the hands of the Tories.

I didn't even know there were issues with tickets and all that stuff, I don't pay attention to any of it, fuck I didn't even watch the game. Partly the reason I brought up pitch invasions is because I'm against it for the most part. It's all fun and games till the field gets bumrushed and some kid or anyone gets knocked over and trampled. It happens, don't think this isn't a possibility, it's all fun and games till someone dies for the stupidest reason.

29 minutes ago, Danny said:

I wouldn't go so far as calling them bin dipers,  even though some of our fans do on our fan sites,  I find it ironic that because Newcastle is also a labour town.  

I do agree their recent success and the level of smugness has built up the same levels of irk that the old Man United fans had.  People can see when a team is good,  we don't need to get told about the glory and magnificence of x and y.   

Most of the time is it just football banter. 

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I didn't even know there were issues with tickets and all that stuff, I don't pay attention to any of it, fuck I didn't even watch the game. Partly the reason I brought up pitch invasions is because I'm against it for the most part. It's all fun and games till the field gets bumrushed and some kid or anyone gets knocked over and trampled. It happens, don't think this isn't a possibility, it's all fun and games till someone dies for the stupidest reason.

Yeah again not saying it was you specifically as I didn’t really keep up to date with a lot of what was being said in the thread, just adding context to this topic

• Subscriber

Hate probably isn't the word to get an idea of what you're asking really. I mean I don't even "hate" them. In football terms, obviously I dislike them more than any other team, but to actually go out there and say you genuinely hate a football team... a bit much, isn't it? 🤷‍♂️

Certainly don't hate them or see them in a negative light despite some peoples assumptions otherwise... 

I think a lot of the dislike comes from their previous successes as is par for the course with most sports, If one team/individual dominates above the others it tends to bring out the envy/jealousy monster in people as they stop seeing the achievements and focus on the repetition all the time but that happens to all teams not just Liverpool... United had it, City & PSG get it, we have it and it's nothing new.. Everyone has a team they hate for whatever reason.. xD

Also I think that some of their fans tend to bite down hard on anything they see as a negative towards the club no matter what it is and it all gets a bit over emotional.. I can understand defending something that's plainly wrong but even some of the daft rivalry and jokes tend to get out of hand on occasion and I never understand why some people want to waste energy on it.. 

If your team is playing good football and winning things what more could you want... What everyone else thinks is immaterial really... 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Also I think that some of their fans tend to bite down hard on anything they see as a negative towards the club no matter what it is and it all gets a bit over emotional.. I can understand defending something that's plainly wrong but even some of the daft rivalry and jokes tend to get out of hand on occasion and I never understand why some people want to waste energy on it.. 

Definitely this. They get very touchy.

I don't hate any team. Beating Liverpool 7-2 felt more satisfying than Wimbledon 7-1.

I remember being fascinated as a kid reading up on the list of previous champions, league, FA Cup, etc, etc. Enjoying the variety. How it seemed so many clubs could potentially come good & do well. And then a growing sense of deflation when it was Man United, Man United, Man United. Getting there now with Man City, though I did take them as a breath of fresh air, like Wengers Arsenal used to be.

On Liverpool, there is maybe a sort 'we're the good guys' feeling around the club. There is TV footage to find on YouTube of a Liverpool fan being pulled into the old Wembley for a 1980's Liverpool vs Everton FA Cup final.. seriously dangerous, life threatening escapade. And that did happen. Just as much as Hillsborough. And they are free to boo the national anthem as much as they like, but it's the same as someone down talking them, their club & their city.

Archived