Wesley Fofana Signs for Chelsea

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Ffp still doesn't include Chelsea then?

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

We are like Barcelona and Man City.. Untouchable 

Not Barcelona or Man City untouchable, just that the new FFP rules took place in June and are allowing clubs 3 years to implement them. 

Much like summer window following the transfer ban, timing was on our side here. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Not Barcelona or Man City untouchable, just that the new FFP rules took place in June and are allowing clubs 3 years to implement them. 

Much like summer window following the transfer ban, timing was on our side here. 

I prefer the word 'Untouchable' as it ruffles more feathers... 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

The only consolation here is Chelsea's ability to turn great players into not so good one's and then flog them on the cheap.

Fofana is a big waste if that happens to him :(

I'd genuinely be gutted for him if that happened to him. 

• Subscriber

Bottom half this season. There is such a negative aura about us now.

Schmeichel gone. Fofana going. Tielemans wants out. Maddison will be next to want out. He's better than what we're likely to serve up this season. I don't think you can massively blame Fofana. When the fans themselves can't get up for a new season you can hardly be surprised when a player of his ability wants out with what else is going to be on offer. I was hopeful of another year but I'm not now. This is the worst summer since I can properly remember. People massively coping when they say summer 2013 was shit too. This is a whole new level.

Fofana is worth it. He'll be considered their best defender in a year.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't think you can massively blame Fofana. When the fans themselves can't get up for a new season you can hardly be surprised when a player of his ability wants out with what else is going to be on offer

I think he's hardly going to be worried what fans are saying. 

He wants to move because it's more money and Chelsea are a more attractive proposition. They're a bigger club than us. He did the same at St Etienne when he was linked with us and now he's doing the same to us. 

I've made peace that we're in a bit of a transition period now this season influenced by off-field financial matters. Not much players can do about it. Even less us as fans can do. 

The positives - if Fofana goes within next few days, there's still time to get replacements in and around the squad. There'll be money to spend and wages freed up. Also if Fofana goes, Maddison stays. There's no way we'll sell the one big player followed by another - that's just not our strategy. 

The only shit thing that hurts really is that we've seen so little of him due to covid and injuries. But we have no control over it which also probably hurts a lot of fans too. 

What I don't want is fans carrying the miserable thoughts of it all into the game on Sunday. That's when players will start to feel it. Counter-intuitive to what we want then to do.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Stan said:

I think he's hardly going to be worried what fans are saying. 

He wants to move because it's more money and Chelsea are a more attractive proposition. They're a bigger club than us. He did the same at St Etienne when he was linked with us and now he's doing the same to us. 

I've made peace that we're in a bit of a transition period now this season influenced by off-field financial matters. Not much players can do about it. Even less us as fans can do. 

The positives - if Fofana goes within next few days, there's still time to get replacements in and around the squad. There'll be money to spend and wages freed up. Also if Fofana goes, Maddison stays. There's no way we'll sell the one big player followed by another - that's just not our strategy. 

The only shit thing that hurts really is that we've seen so little of him due to covid and injuries. But we have no control over it which also probably hurts a lot of fans too. 

What I don't want is fans carrying the miserable thoughts of it all into the game on Sunday. That's when players will start to feel it. Counter-intuitive to what we want then to do.

He isn't going to be worried what fans are saying, correct, but what you've put in the last paragraph is what I'm getting at - I don't want an overall negative vibe spilling out at that place on the opening day yet I'd not be surprised if it does.

I think it's a bit of a domino effect. When Fofana goes I think that instantly plants seeds of doubt in Maddison's head, if they aren't there already. Not to Newcastle but I still have a feeling Tottenham may come in and I can see him wanting it now as our case to hold on for a year has gotten weaker.

With selling Fofana we need to absolutely fleece them. He's on a massive contract which he's just signed. The sale of Fofana will at least get the ball rolling for our own incomings and it should take some pressure off having to sell the others too (albeit this still needs to happen), it strengthens our hand in that regard. The problem is everyone knows we're desperate and knows we have money to splash. I can't see a scenario where we get Colwill on some generous deal even though that's probably the best deal for us now. I can see us buying somebody like Tapsoba (who I'm reliably informed we wanted in January 2020) and having to break a club record to do it.

I really don't want us to have to loan out the wantaways. We should've sold Soumare and Vestergaard if the Monaco and Fulham interest was legitimate. Don't see the point of haggling, particularly for the latter.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

He isn't going to be worried what fans are saying, correct, but what you've put in the last paragraph is what I'm getting at - I don't want an overall negative vibe spilling out at that place on the opening day yet I'd not be surprised if it does.

I think it's a bit of a domino effect. When Fofana goes I think that instantly plants seeds of doubt in Maddison's head, if they aren't there already. Not to Newcastle but I still have a feeling Tottenham may come in and I can see him wanting it now as our case to hold on for a year has gotten weaker.

With selling Fofana we need to absolutely fleece them. He's on a massive contract which he's just signed. The sale of Fofana will at least get the ball rolling for our own incomings and it should take some pressure off having to sell the others too (albeit this still needs to happen), it strengthens our hand in that regard. The problem is everyone knows we're desperate and knows we have money to splash. I can't see a scenario where we get Colwill on some generous deal even though that's probably the best deal for us now. I can see us buying somebody like Tapsoba (who I'm reliably informed we wanted in January 2020) and having to break a club record to do it.

I really don't want us to have to loan out the wantaways. We should've sold Soumare and Vestergaard if the Monaco and Fulham interest was legitimate. Don't see the point of haggling, particularly for the latter.

Not sure about Maddison to Spurs. At least not this summer. No idea what they're financial situation is like (or FFP implications - @Storts?) but they've just spent a fuck load on Richarlison, Bissouma and Spence collectively.

So if not this summer, then perhaps next summer he's probably off. I wonder if he'll sign a new contract and there's some kind of provision that if he does, and if a genuine worthwhile offer comes in next summer we'll give him the opportunity to do so. It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Man City came in for him next summer as well especially if his form of last season is repeated - Mahrez isn't getting any younger, Gundogan and Silva may leave before then. Who knows. Might be weird but I can imagine him playing for them. Adds to their English player quota too...

Fofana will be sold - I spoke to Ashley (FT) last night and he reckons he's finished here, the value has been met and he's on his way out. If we get close to £100m I'll be happy. It'll be absolutely incredible that we've sold the 2 highest-priced defenders in PL history so far for approx £160-180m if so. 

Colwill is apparently already at Brighton so can't see that happening. Given our recruitment record we're bound to have targets lined up - no doubt we've lost out on some through the summer but only time will tell if who we buy is the right person. I feel like we've learnt from the Vestergaard/Bertrand situations. Hopefully. 

Agree on Soumare/Vestergaard - should have cut our losses and got rid. Not worthwhile keeping them. Those 2, Amartey, Choudhury, Perez are your typical deadline-day signings to and from a club. No big losses if they do leave but good luck to them. Even if there are departures on deadline day, it makes January interesting as we'll have a fair bit of money to spend. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not sure about Maddison to Spurs. At least not this summer. No idea what they're financial situation is like (or FFP implications - @Storts?) but they've just spent a fuck load on Richarlison, Bissouma and Spence collectively.

So if not this summer, then perhaps next summer he's probably off. I wonder if he'll sign a new contract and there's some kind of provision that if he does, and if a genuine worthwhile offer comes in next summer we'll give him the opportunity to do so. It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Man City came in for him next summer as well especially if his form of last season is repeated - Mahrez isn't getting any younger, Gundogan and Silva may leave before then. Who knows. Might be weird but I can imagine him playing for them. Adds to their English player quota too...

Fofana will be sold - I spoke to Ashley (FT) last night and he reckons he's finished here, the value has been met and he's on his way out. If we get close to £100m I'll be happy. It'll be absolutely incredible that we've sold the 2 highest-priced defenders in PL history so far for approx £160-180m if so. 

Colwill is apparently already at Brighton so can't see that happening. Given our recruitment record we're bound to have targets lined up - no doubt we've lost out on some through the summer but only time will tell if who we buy is the right person. I feel like we've learnt from the Vestergaard/Bertrand situations. Hopefully. 

Agree on Soumare/Vestergaard - should have cut our losses and got rid. Not worthwhile keeping them. Those 2, Amartey, Choudhury, Perez are your typical deadline-day signings to and from a club. No big losses if they do leave but good luck to them. Even if there are departures on deadline day, it makes January interesting as we'll have a fair bit of money to spend. 

I don't think we'll necessarily sell Maddison and I think doing so would be suicidal but I think he'd probably want out maybe next summer, and next summer is also likely to be quite bumpy for us with the contract situation. We've still solved nothing with Tielemans & Soyuncu. If we're lacking wiggle room because of the number of players who need to go then I really can't understand the haggling over players like Vestergaard who we just need out the door.

I want to think we'll have something decent lined up but Colwill's going, Niakhate was another option and he's gone. I'll be interested to see what is lined up but you feel already like how late it's been left has put us into a tricky position. Another long shot suggestion here for me is Attila Szalai from Fenerbahce. Supposedly open to a sale after being knocked out of the CL, left sided, decent age, highly rated, actually think he'd be a quite good addition from what I've seen.

15 hours ago, True Blue said:

With Cucurella official and Dave staying i don't see us signing Fofana now.

clubs must not buy any of Leicester's players.  let Tielemans leave on a free and Maddison will be in the same situation next season.    

I hope we don't loan them debravka either, why help them improve.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Correct! Well, certain assets anyway. 

I don't really understand how Leicester are financially in problems given that they have sold players like Mahrez, Mcguire and regularly finished high up the table,  so this money thing is a bit strange to me.

That said,  Tielemans is going to leave one way or another and its best for clubs to just let him run down his leicester contract and sign him by January when the 6 month trigger starts,  that way you don't help a team get any money back for him and you get him on a free transfer.    Maddison will be in a similar position next season,  his agent says he wants to go to Spurs or Arsenal but again it is worth running down his contract and making leicester desperate to sell him for a cut back return,  that way again you are hurting leicester funding replacements.

Fofana is their long term.

The lack of business done and the fact that it is the same team as last season should be a major concern,  a bad season can be disasterous let alone any reset which to me doesn't appear like Leicester have cut the payroll or made money and they are out of Europe this season so its going to be considerably less money. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

don't really understand how Leicester are financially in problems given that they have sold players like Mahrez, Mcguire and regularly finished high up the table,  so this money thing is a bit strange to me

It's our wages. We're at 105% of our turnover spent on wages. It needs to be 90% by next season. 

We have the money in terms of transfer fees. But not wages. Hence needing to get rid of a few players first (hopefully deadwood) before our big assets. Kasper leaving has helped somewhat. Fulham had bid for Vestergaard which will help too if he moves. Tielemans may well leave. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

money back for him and you get him on a free transfer.    Maddison will be in a similar position next season,  his agent says he wants to go to Spurs or Arsenal but again it is worth running down his contract and making leicester desperate to sell him for a cut back return,  that way again you are hurting leicester funding replacements.

Now you seem to have a big gripe with Leicester just because you didn't get what you want xD

Maddison is apparently on verge of signing a new contract. I feel for you if you are believing what agents say. He may well end up getting a move to a bigger club than Newcastle but we'll definitely get a fee for him regardless. 

I'll give you the point about the transfers. It's concerning, but it's hardly world-ending and meaning we'll suddenly drop off the face of a cliff. Again, that's probably what you want because it improves your chances of finishing higher but it may not actually be what will happen... 

• The title was changed to Wesley Fofana Signs for Chelsea

Archived