• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool sign Gakpo

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

its more a sign that man United can't get deals done unless they are uncontested overpay.

I would start getting concerned

How do you prove that?

Just because the media report we are in for a player doesn't mean we've actually made a concrete offer.

If that was the case we must be absolutely useless as we get connected to 100's of players every transfer window.

3 minutes ago, Devil said:

Strange one this really, do Liverpool need another attacking player. 

Diaz, Salah, Nunez, Jota, Carvalhio, Firmino and now Gakpo.

Surely a centre midfielder would have been the bigger priority. 

Diaz is out until March. Jota until Feb (and can’t seem to stay fit) and Carvalho is very raw. Firmino has been great for us this season, but relying on him for a good chunk goals for the rest of the campaign would be a risk. 

We needed this signing, but we also desperately need a quality midfielder. I hope the club have a plan, even if it is temporary until summer if it’s true we go in big for Bellingham/ Fernandez. 

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

Diaz is out until March. Jota until Feb (and can’t seem to stay fit) and Carvalho is very raw. Firmino has been great for us this season, but relying on him for a good chunk goals for the rest of the campaign would be a risk. 

We needed this signing, but we also desperately need a quality midfielder. I hope the club have a plan, even if it is temporary until summer if it’s true we go in big for Bellingham/ Fernandez. 

What's the long term plan once they are fit then?

Surely addressing the midfield issues first will solve majority of the problems anyway.

To me it makes zero sense, once all are fit your left with a bit of a headache. The only logical reason I can think is Firmino possibly goes in the summer and Klopp has realised Nunez isn't the player he thought he was. I doubt that's the case though, I'd be amazed if he gave up on a player that quickly.

Just now, Rick said:

I think that Bobby may leave in the summer, and Jota will have to accept the role of squad player who will still get plenty of minutes. 

Yeah, I'd say that's the case as well.

I'm not overly fussed at you signing him myself, I don't believe we were in for him given we have Rashford, Martial, Garnacho, Sancho and Antony covering the wide forward positions. Gakpo from what I've read prefers this role.

We need a true CF. Personally I'd like Toney but I don't see that happening. Maybe there is truth in the Felix rumours. A loan makes total sense given our outlay last summer.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

its more a sign that man United can't get deals done unless they are uncontested overpay.

I don't think so. If we had wanted him we would have signed him in September.  He's a good player but not what we need, we already have 3 or 4 players that play the same position.  We need a CF, not another winger.

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

No, it’s a sign that United don’t have any money. Literally nothing else. Full terms were completed with his agents in summer and we pulled the plug.

We're going to regret him not getting on that plane on Deadline Day.

Took far too long to get the deal done and left it too late to succeed.

He should have been ours but the moment that collapsed I knew it was done. Inevitable he'd have a good World Cup and we'd fall out the running.

I think we'll regret that one massively.

3 hours ago, Devil said:

What's the long term plan once they are fit then?

Surely addressing the midfield issues first will solve majority of the problems anyway.

To me it makes zero sense, once all are fit your left with a bit of a headache. The only logical reason I can think is Firmino possibly goes in the summer and Klopp has realised Nunez isn't the player he thought he was. I doubt that's the case though, I'd be amazed if he gave up on a player that quickly.

I agree with this and your previous post.

and still I’m excited we’ve signed him. I agree fully though, surely our most pressing issue is a midfielder? But the guy looks class & this gives us some serious depth in attack, when everyone is fit - it’s probably better depth there than we had last season (even if it’s not as good as having Mane in the starting XI.

It does seem like while the centre of the midfield is our most pressing issue… we’re willing to be more patient to bring in our top targets there. But honestly we need that sooner than we need a new attacker - Diaz and Jota will recover from injuries, but we still need a midfielder.

But hard not to be excited tbh.

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

No, it’s a sign that United don’t have any money. Literally nothing else. Full terms were completed with his agents in summer and we pulled the plug.

Is that from your “top tier” journos? Honestly though do you ever wonder whether they can be so accurate giving transfer news without being sort of PR mouth pieces? Do clubs feed these journos rumours just to kee pressure off fans.

I have a hard time believing United couldn’t have gotten this done if there was no other interest and he’d already agreed… unless other clubs were also interested and he had terms agreed with them too.

You never know how much of the transfer news is actually bullshit tbh.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

He should have been ours but the moment that collapsed I knew it was done. Inevitable he'd have a good World Cup and we'd fall out the running.

Wow were you really on the cusp of signing him? Probably this summer was the last chance of getting him on the cheap… unless he’s not good with us lol

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

If he plays well, I have a feeling he will play well if he can get to the ball somewhere dangerous. He shoots well

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Why do Liverpool sign all the best players :(

yes but Klopp will go mouth off like Liverpool are Oliver twist FC

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Why do Liverpool sign all the best players :(

Arent they in debt anyway?

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Is that from your “top tier” journos? Honestly though do you ever wonder whether they can be so accurate giving transfer news without being sort of PR mouth pieces? Do clubs feed these journos rumours just to kee pressure off fans.

I have a hard time believing United couldn’t have gotten this done if there was no other interest and he’d already agreed… unless other clubs were also interested and he had terms agreed with them too.

You never know how much of the transfer news is actually bullshit tbh.

This is from Mitten and Whitwell who are pretty much on the pulse with everything United related. It’s been mentioned in several articles and podcasts. Ten Hag decided to overspend on Antony instead once he began to kick up a fuss with Ajax. He’s not the out and out forward we needed and with Rashford/Sancho/Elanga and Garnacho breaking though, we didn’t pursue the deal. Just fucks me off you’ve STILL got him on the cheap and in January after a decent World Cup, yet we’d have probably been quoted £50plus in summer. 

I don’t think Liverpool’s biggest problem is their midfield, I think they showed last year what that midfield could achieve by being in for the quadruple.

I think their biggest issue this season is not replacing Mane. Diaz has been good but he is also very wasteful, then you factor in the injuries to Jota and Diaz who are meant to be key players. There’s not really been anyone to replace what Mane offered in game, if Gakpo can produce for Liverpool as he did for the Netherlands then I think this takes a lot of weight off of the team as a whole, not just the midfield.

Henderson had a very good World Cup, but it’s no secret that he has been slowing down for us. Fabinho has been declining for the last 12 months and Thiago is a sick note. Those are the three first choice midfielders for us, so we definitely need quality in that position. 

Our defence has been truly terrible this season for the most part, and that itself is in part due to the midfield doing less and less defensively. The back four can only do so much, and the amount of times you see teams just walking through the middle of the park is ridiculous. We really need two midfielders, a creative runner like Bellingham and a defensively minded one like what Fabinho was in his first couple of years here. 

You have to laugh at the mainstream media in our country. When United were linked with Gakpo all I read everywhere was how he was unproven, performing in a weak league.

I've just logged on to Instagram and I've seen two posts by two different media sources showing how good his statistics actually are. 😂

Where were these statistics when we were linked with him.

Honestly it's like the whole country is trained to hate United first think logical second. Even the comments on the Instagram posts, all anti United related. Barely a single Liverpool comment, just an over the top joy that Liverpool have beat United to a player. Yet we're not even in for him. 

Also the bigger picture here, even if he picked Liverpool over United, is that actually a sign of a mess at United, I think that's an insult to one of the biggest football clubs on the planet. The choice between Liverpool and Manchester United is hardly like he's decided to go to Aston Villa (sorry Villa fans) over us is it.

Getting a player of Gakpo's quality for 40-50m is impressive.

Whether he fits Liverpool's model is a bigger question though Diaz and Nunes have not hit the ground running and Salah won't last forever.

Yes they probably need reinforcement in midfield possibly defense too so will be interesting to see if they strengthen elsewhere.

Archived