The better place to talk football.

Other PL Round 19 Fixtures - 3-4th January, 2023

football forum

• Administrator

all kick-offs 19.45 (GMT) unless stated

Tuesday 3rd January, 2023
everton.PNG Everton vs Brighton 1200px-Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.p

image.png Leicester vs Fulham 1200px-Fulham_FC_(shield).svg.png

1200px-Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg.png Man City vs Bournemouth afc_bournemouth_-2013.png, 20.00

Wednesday 4th January, 2023
1200px-FC_Southampton.svg.png Southampton vs Nottm Forest 1200px-Nottingham_Forest_logo.svg.png, 19.30

1200px-Leeds_United_F.C._logo.svg.png Leeds vs West Ham 1200px-West_Ham_United_FC_logo.svg.png

1200px-Aston_Villa_FC_crest_(2016).svg.p Aston Villa vs Wolves 1200px-Wolverhampton_Wanderers.svg.png, 20.00

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Got a really bad feeling about this. No Maddison still, no Daka either now, Vardy looks spent unfortunately, Fulham are no mugs at all this season, have scored plenty of goals and have a proper feel-good factor about them which we're lacking.

We've not beaten a top half side in over a year.

Forest away (where we hardly ever turn up) is our only game before March against a side currently below us and we're yet to beat anybody who isn't. I think we're getting dragged right back in if we lose and the more I think about it the more I think we will. Prove me wrong.

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, Dan said:

I really think with Maddison out he should switch system and get two strikers on the pitch.

I think Fulham will win this FFS.

Agree. Vardy can't do much on his own even with limited service these days. 

• Subscriber

It's not awful but it's not good. Our attacking play is too poor and reliant on an individual moment of quality or balls into the box leading to half chances.

We also still have this issue I've been moaning about for years where we just have too many players compared to other teams who just aren't very fast, which makes it really easy to counter attack against us and really difficult for us to counter attack on other teams. Even this summer, we signed Coady, Tarkowski, McNeil and a 33 year old Gueye. It's an improvement on Keane, Allan and Gomes but still too immobile compared to what teams like Brighton have all over the pitch.

• Subscriber

An embarrassingly easy second goal for Brighton who wander from back to front through our entire team without really even getting out of 2nd gear.

I suspect Brighton will now go on to win this by an even greater margin and that when I go to Goodison for the Southampton game next weekend that someone else will be managing the side.

0-3 before I even finish the post.

• Subscriber

Just seen 0-4 on Twitter before my stream has even caught up 🤣. At least one of our players got an assist for that one.

Manager will get the bullet but every one of these players is a disgrace. Been an annual event this for the best part of a decade now. Just hurry up and get relegated. No need to keep drawing it out.

• Subscriber

The problem is, just what the actual fuck is this defending? I could genuinely score a goal against this and it's supposed to be a Premier League defence.

At some point you've got to say that a set of professional footballers shouldn't be doing that on a pitch even if they're being coached by a cardboard cutout. It's ridiculous. But like I said, we've been here almost every year since Moshiri bought the club.

A full decade now of Everton being an absolute disgrace and an embarrassment to support. 

Missed the Wolves game as I had the flu, missed this game as my Dad has it. 

The whole "football isn't good for my mental health" is a cliche but it's been true for ages with Everton, the soul of what I once loved has gone. 

It's an absolute cancer.

• Subscriber

That has to be it for Lampard now but the real crime is the ongoing affiliation Moshiri, Kenwright and Barrett-Baxendale have with this football club. Absolutely run into the ground. There's nothing left to support.

People will say that plenty of fans have had it worse than us, at least you've always been in the Premier League, etc. etc., but putting aside clubs who have literally gone bust or had back to back relegations and not bounced back, there can't be many teams that have been more utterly joyless and unpleasant to support than Everton over the past decade (and many of our fans would say longer than that).

I grew up watching a team that might never have won a trophy and might have had embarrassing 20 year runs of not winning away to Man Utd, Liverpool and the like but at least you knew you could spend 75% or more of the season being reasonably proud of the team that was put out, how they represented the fans and how they'd generally punch a bit above their financial weight, whether they ended up 5th or 11th. I don't recognise any of that in Everton nowadays and haven't seen it in a sustained manner since Martinez' first season in charge.

I don't even get angry anymore. It's just boring supporting this team. Which is a relief because there's an awful lot to be angry about. We're circling the bowl now and we'll drop sooner rather than later until the ownership and every current member of the board is completely overhauled. I can't see it happening in time to save us though and god knows what relegation looks like for us financially in the short and long term. The likes of Wolves, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Brentford could be forgiven for dropping into trouble after a poor transfer window or three but to get into this position with the resources that the decision makers at the club have had at their disposal has taken a truly generational level of incompetence.

I wish it was an option to just stop supporting them and walk away but obviously you can't.

On 01/01/2023 at 17:42, Stan said:

all kick-offs 19.45 (GMT) unless stated

Tuesday 3rd January, 2023
everton.PNG Everton vs Brighton 1200px-Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.p

image.png Leicester vs Fulham 1200px-Fulham_FC_(shield).svg.png

1200px-Manchester_City_FC_badge.svg.png Man City vs Bournemouth afc_bournemouth_-2013.png, 20.00

Wednesday 4th January, 2023
1200px-FC_Southampton.svg.png Southampton vs Nottm Forest 1200px-Nottingham_Forest_logo.svg.png, 19.30

1200px-Leeds_United_F.C._logo.svg.png Leeds vs West Ham 1200px-West_Ham_United_FC_logo.svg.png

1200px-Aston_Villa_FC_crest_(2016).svg.p Aston Villa vs Wolves 1200px-Wolverhampton_Wanderers.svg.png, 20.00

Just noticed it has City instead of United on the fixtures.

Job well done for us. It's starting to really pick up for us now, we're getting the job done instead of making hard work of these sides.

20 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I wish it was an option to just stop supporting them and walk away but obviously you can't.

Just support us and pretend you've gone colourblind and now blue is red.

We've even made it easier for you & @Whiskey to transition into becoming redshites... because we also have no idea how to defend.

• Administrator

Awful. 

Lost Dewsbury-Hall before the game due to a hamstring injury. Soumare pulls up with a hamstring injury about 5 mins in. Daka has a hamstring injury. What the fuck goes on at our club. 

The game today was rubbish. Once again a team find it far too easy to score against us because we start so slow and be too lethargic. Our shape was all over the shop. 

Rodgers was lost for ideas. Perez is average, missed a 6 yard sitter and doesn't impact the game as he should. Barnes has lost his touch and confidence. 

Tielemans is far and away too good for us. Had a good game and deserved a goal from a cracking shot that hit the bar from about 20 yards out. But that's about as good as it got for us.

So disappointing and I genuinely can't see us winning until March, and that does include a game against Gillingham on Saturday. If they want it more than us, they'll win because we're far too soft. 

Our next games til March - Gillingham, Newcastle, Forest, Brighton, Villa, Tottenham, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. 

Realistically only Everton, Bournemouth, Southampton are worse than us. Might get worse before it gets better. 

Long way to go yet, it is only January and Everton looked doomed this time last year but somehow got themselves off the canvas. Only difference now is they don't have Richarlison.

I will say what I said last year. I've made my thoughts on Lampard crystal clear, simply not good enough at this level.

And again, I'll repeat what I said last year and probably a year or so before that. I've always seen Sean Dyche rolling in at Everton for a long time and as each appointment comes and goes, I just think there is an air of inevitability about it. He's going to be a good fit there.

Now's the time they have got to do it.

• Administrator

Dyche seems the perfect fit for Everton right now. Come in and give them some organisation, galvanise them even if it's just temporarily and keep them up. 

• Subscriber

Dyche or a manager like that is now our only realistic route to cling on to Premier League status for a couple more seasons which is the minimum amount of time we need to buy to allow Moshiri to sell the club to a new owner, and then we just pray the buyer comes in and tears out the current board. Root and stem.

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Dyche seems the perfect fit for Everton right now. Come in and give them some organisation, galvanise them even if it's just temporarily and keep them up. 

Dyche would keep them up I think. I think he could get them to the Europa league. 

• Subscriber

We're in big trouble again. Everything I feared. Rodgers needs to go now, I can't see any feasible scenario where he should be taking charge next season anyway but once again I think if we fail to provide that shot in the arm we might pay the price. He isn't built for a relegation battle. He doesn't get the sum of his parts.

But his own deficiencies should not allow the others to continue pulling the wool over everyones eyes as well. The state of the squad is a sorry, sorry reflection on where this club was at three years ago. We've ruined everything. All of it. And we're going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to keep just our Premier League status in the next few years, let alone getting back into Europe again.

A horrible, yet totally predictable night.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived