talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Philippe Coutinho

I just don't get the insistence on leaving now.

He can only play in the league which is already wrapped up; at Liverpool he could play CL and potentially be a key part of a run through the knockout stages. 

I get that his World Cup starting place is probably secure no matter what, but even just from a professional interest perspective, I don't get why you would give up a season of European football just to rush a move that's happening sooner or later. 

And surely if it's a matter of having depth in the squad, there's a young midfielder at Barca who's capable of playing in the league whenever they want to rest someone for the CL. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, True Blue said:

Liverpool will be laughing on their way to the bank, pay off Virgil and still have 70 extra for a new player or two.

Yep, another £70m they’ve got to spend which everyone knows they have... Just paid £70m for a defender so god knows what an attacking player of the similar ilk could cost them.  If that price mentioned is true, he’s been undersold.  Not because he’s worth anywhere near that much even the amount quoted (who is), but because of the way the market is.  Serious scouting and intelligence on someone (a player) undetected to be brought in at a decent price is required now. Anything other than £200m and above should never have been a price to let him go seeing as it was obvious Barcelona were desperate for him and everyone also knew they have money to burn lately.

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Liverpool will be laughing on their way to the bank, pay off Virgil and still have 70 extra for a new player or two.

To be honest with Keita arriving in the summer too, I doubt we'll see much of that now. We need to sign someone else this window now he's gone but I doubt it. Not happy that he's going mid season

16 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Can we stretch this so as to reach 1000 posts and cash in on @Kitchen Sales odds? :ph34r:

Better have a read about how odds work mate :ph34r:

Incredibly annoying that we've caved now instead of selling in the summer, but not really surprising after the noises that have been coming out of the club since last weekend. Hopefully we use this money to strengthen now. Unlike others, I'm not too desperate for a direct Coutinho replacement as I think a proper DM and/or a goalkeeper would be much more cost effective when it comes to improving our squad.

2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Better have a read about how odds work mate :ph34r:

Incredibly annoying that we've caved now instead of selling in the summer, but not really surprising after the noises that have been coming out of the club since last weekend. Hopefully we use this money to strengthen now. Unlike others, I'm not too desperate for a direct Coutinho replacement as I think a proper DM and/or a goalkeeper would be much more cost effective when it comes to improving our squad.

Yeah, not a betting man myself mate... :what:

The problem as Barça have found out since PSG took Neymar for €220m is that clubs know you have this money.  Premier League clubs buying players is always a minimum of at least 20%. more expensive and now this has occured.  Liverpool have caved in for sure and more could’ve been juiced out of Barcelona because they have more money and let’s not forget Nike are also involved in this because of the Brazilian market which Nike owns.  That’s not enough money after spending £70m on a centre-back with no experience at the elite side of football.

I thought Coutinho had handled it very well with the way he kept quiet and played so far this season, but if he's kicked up a fuss again, and got impatient halfway through a season with Liverpool still in 3 competitions, he's more than undone all that. 

Just now, Inverted said:

I thought Coutinho had handled it very well with the way he kept quiet and played so far this season, but if he's kicked up a fuss again, and got impatient halfway through a season with Liverpool still in 3 competitions, he's more than undone all that. 

As far as I’m concerned (I know it’s illegal and against freedom of movement and employment), but a player should be forced to respect his contract and that ONLY the club can decide the options put before them if another club comes in. When that occurs and they’re seriously thinking about moving a player on for whatever reason be it he doesn’t fit in or the offer is too good to refuse, only then should they put it before the player as an option.  Contracts in football should be respected but these days they mean very little.  Look at Neymar... He was happy enough to sign a new super improved contract four months before he then moved to PSG.  

According to MundoDeportivo, Coutinho’s buy-out clause has been set at €400m. I would expect PSG... Sorry... The State of Qatar have been sent the WhatsApp message from Barça to this effect and for future reference! :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, not a betting man myself mate... :what:

The problem as Barça have found out since PSG took Neymar for €220m is that clubs know you have this money.  Premier League clubs buying players is always a minimum of at least 20%. more expensive and now this has occured.  Liverpool have caved in for sure and more could’ve been juiced out of Barcelona because they have more money and let’s not forget Nike are also involved in this because of the Brazilian market which Nike owns.  That’s not enough money after spending £70m on a centre-back with no experience at the elite side of football.

Oh we're definitely about to get stitched up big time. Not only does everyone know we have all this money, everyone knows that when Klopp picks his man, that's his man and he doesn't want anyone else.

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

As it stands neither football club has announced it in any of the media platforms available to them officially. The original source is The Telegraph so all of this is just alleged news.

Nah, it's done mate. Proper journalists are reporting it this time, not just the amateur hobbyists that report on Barcelona :ph34r:

I think Lemar is a very good player that can give Liverpool even more pace, but Draxler would be an exceptional signing but would cost an absolute fortune. You wouldn’t get him off PSG for under £100m even if he isn’t playing a lot.

6 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think Lemar is a very good player that can give Liverpool even more pace, but Draxler would be an exceptional signing but would cost an absolute fortune. You wouldn’t get him off PSG for under £100m even if he isn’t playing a lot.

Lemar will probably cost £90m

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Lemar will probably cost £90m

You see, that’s already absolutely astronomical and out of orbit where common sense is in question. Then Draxler would cost what you’ve allegedly sold Coutinho to Barcelona for.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

You see, that’s already absolutely astronomical and out of orbit where common sense is in question. Then Draxler would cost what you’ve allegedly sold Coutinho to Barcelona for.

Draxler has just been purchased for around £40m has he not? What has he done in 6-12 months to make him the second most expensive footballer of all time? 

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Draxler has just been purchased for around £40m has he not? What has he done in 6-12 months to make him the second most expensive footballer of all time? 

It’s the status he has and the clubs looking to sign him.  When Barcelona lost NeymR to PSG, they (Barça) wanted to sign Draxler in return But were quoted €150m apparently... You’re a Premier League club, we’re 4 months down the line and they know you have money. This is all hypothetical mind you as none of us know and there’s no news of you guys even going in for him.  But he’s definitely a superior player to Lemarin my opinion and if you’re willing to apparently pay £90m for him, then I’m only calculating what the possible fee could be. Remember PSG have all the money that exists in the whole wide world.

Even at £90m for Lemar, you’d have bought 2 players for £20m if you get the £160m being rumoured from Barcelona for Coutinho.

• The title was changed to Philippe Coutinho Officially Signs for FC Barcelona
  • The topic was locked

Archived