talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

UEFA Nations League

Will this be any good?

I had a brief look at it the other day and was quite interested in the format and how the groups were decided. 

From an England point of view, they should make Group A (the top seeds) but I'm interested to see how they do in more competitive games against some of the better European nations. We've seen in friendlies that they can do reasonably well but if teams take it seriously, which they should because this defines all sorts of qualification things, how they'd get on and whether England would be in danger of 'relegation' to Pot B would be interesting.

Two sets of games in September, October and November as well, which will please managers I'm sure. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i had completely forgot about this nonsense until I was a national manger in Football Manager.

More international games at a time where players aren't getting any time off, and could make the qualifying for EURO 2020 irrelevant to some nations after they have already qualified through this.

Even worse is that a team from every section will qualify, meaning you are guaranteed that a poor team will qualify just because they are in the worst groups.

9 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I take it this is replacing the dull, meaningless and utter dour friendlies we've come accustomed to, no?

I think six games in three months is excessive, for some reason I thought the games were spread out a bit more. 

But now we instead have more and more meaningless qualifying matches!

This is yet another step to make sure that no big nation misses out on qualifying, by just giving them yet another chance to qualify if they missed out.

They could have had all the EURO 2020 qualifiers done in Sep/Oct/Nov of 2018 and 2019. But now with this it's going to force more qualifiers in March and June of 2020 (which really could have been taken off the calendar and given actual time off in summer for players), and then in March 2020. So you can't even plan EURO 2020 until about 2 months before it starts. 

• 1 month later...

I thought this was a good idea when it was first mentioned. I'm looking forward to top class international football.

Though were apparently 2nd in the UEFA coefficient rankings...second. I hope they don't break the groups down 1-4, 5-8 and 9-12 because Spain, Germany and Italy will destroy us 😂

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I'd rather see this than;

a) pointless friendlies. 

b) the current qualification format for major tournaments. It's tired, old and utterly boring. 

Mate... With this new system which is directed towards the bigger footballing nations means that it protects their qualification more so.

It’s directed at tv revenue first and foremost with a format being found so as to see the big ones qualify in a tournament that has now been bastardised so as more can participate. 

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Mate... With this new system which is directed towards the bigger footballing nations means that it protects their qualification more so.

It’s directed at tv revenue first and foremost with a format being found so as to see the big ones qualify in a tournament that has now been bastardised so as more can participate. 

thought the TV money rights were centralised so there isn't any difference in how it is right now anyway?

1 hour ago, Stan said:

thought the TV money rights were centralised so there isn't any difference in how it is right now anyway?

I was under the impression (I can’t remember where I read it as it was some time ago) that each respective national football federation would be now permitted to do individual match or blocks on category games. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I really couldn't care less about revenue and qualification processes tbh, we'll all still watch the World Cup even if the nations are hand-picked by FIFA. 

Being able to have the opportunity to watch even games between nations of a similar ranking is much better than watching the current qualification process where you see tiny nations like Gibraltar, San Marino and the like, with no chance of causing a shock getting turned over by the likes of France, Spain, Italy, Germany etc 

4 hours ago, SirBalon said:

This gives a place in the Euro's to one of the teams in each pot.

It gives Luxembourg's golden generation a genuine chance to qualify :8_laughing:

They could finish bottom of their qualifying group with a goal difference of minus 100 and still qualify for the Euro's if they can top a group containing Liechtenstein, San Marino and Malta then smash Andorra and Luxembourg in the playoffs 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

This gives a place in the Euro's to one of the teams in each pot.

It gives Luxembourg's golden generation a genuine chance to qualify :8_laughing:

They could finish bottom of their qualifying group with a goal difference of minus 100 and still qualify for the Euro's if they can top a group containing Liechtenstein, San Marino and Malta then smash Andorra and Luxembourg in the playoffs 

why would they smash themselves in the play-offs? They won't qualify like that, Harvey.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

You really have to feel sorry for footballers if that comes true. First, they play an insane amount of games in the regular season, couple that with league cups, european competition and any other tournaments. Add on top of that International friendlies, then whatever FIFA/UEFA feel they need to add as a 'footballing' incentive and then when you think your vacation has just begun they drop another bomb to have another tournament in June. I'll bet a lot of club managers are wondering if their players will ever be fresh enough at the start of the season with the way this is going and of course the big problem of picking up injuries during that period too.

• The topic was pinned

Archived