talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Xabi Alonso to stay at Bayer Leverkusen next season

Just now, Rucksackfranzose said:

Surprised Leverkusen commits so long to Alonso, since this extension means fuck all other than a higher compensation, if things go down the pan.o.O

Or a higher transfer fee if one of the European top clubs come sniffing. 

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

Definitely fair play to him, he assembled a team and now he wants to see how far he can take them. Bit disappointed that he isn't coming to us, but we shall have to wait and see who we get now. 

• Subscriber

Yeah good on him. I guess he sees it as a shame to call an early end to his "chapter" with Leverkusen. Passing up both Liverpool and Bayern is no small thing but he's probably got decades left of his managerial career if he wants them and the same or similar opportunities will be presented to him again. Maybe he's holding out for Ancelotti to retire...

• The title was changed to Xabi Alonso to stay at Bayer Leverkusen next season

Definitely holding out for Real. They are probably the most exciting prospect for any manager given the squad. 

Interested to see who Liverpool go after. Amorim or De Zerbi. Both hefty release clauses. 

Tbh if there's a chance to join Real in 2 seasons then you take that. Forget the fact that they are assembling one of the best teams in the world that is full of youth, Real Madrid are gargantuan in size compared to Liverpool. No brainer from both perspectives there.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Danny said:

Tbh if there's a chance to join Real in 2 seasons then you take that. Forget the fact that they are assembling one of the best teams in the world that is full of youth, Real Madrid are gargantuan in size compared to Liverpool. No brainer from both perspectives there.

Dangerous move going there so young. If he fails at Madrid with Mbappe & co, I can’t see him ever managing Liverpool or Bayern Munich after that.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dangerous move going there so young. If he fails at Madrid with Mbappe & co, I can’t see him ever managing Liverpool or Bayern Munich after that.

I don’t think Liverpool recruit with that sort of thinking. Another successful job like he done at Leverkusen will get people on side again 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

I don’t think Liverpool recruit with that sort of thinking. Another successful job like he done at Leverkusen will get people on side again 

I don’t know I think failing with the squad they’re about to have is almost unforgivable.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t know I think failing with the squad they’re about to have is almost unforgivable.

So he should go to Madrid then lol

Alsonso's played for the biggest clubs in the world, I don't think the pressure will phase him much.

• Subscriber

I respect him staying. It would be easy to go to a 'bigger' club and try his hand there but he has unfinished business with this team and to see how much further he can take them. There's also that element of proving that this season isn't just a fluke.