• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 1 - 11-14th August, 2023

football forums

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair result for me.

Chelsea were the better side for me from the moment they equalised. For a first game under a new manager, some new players, against a tough side, they should take encouragement from that.

Chilwell, if he stays fit, is going to make such a big difference to them, he looked dangerous all game.

Dunno what it is with Liverpool but defensively they just look so so shakey. I know they want a defensive mid and its obvious why, but they got to look at a centre back for me too, whether that's to partner Van Dijk or even to push Van Dijk. Konate always looks a bit rash to me.

I would not feel safe going into this season currently if I was them without one.

Went mostly how I expected. Though, I thought we would have offered more going forward. Had a good first 15 mins, but then it sort of went to pot after that. Chelsea were the better team, thought they were going to score every time they had the ball near our area. 

That defence though, wow. Absolutely awful. I’ve no confidence in them, none at all until we get somebody in that midfield and somebody to properly push Van Dijk and Konate. The less I say about Trent the better, he showcased yet again how awful of a defender he is. 

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Danny said:

Teams who want the ball in play quickly, who are a goal down, get angry. Their fans get angry. The other team reacts to this, continues to wind them up. It creates tension between players, fans and clubs. Literally saw it last season with Newcastle and Arsenal. It exists.

The rule is changed to favour a specific style of football, styles that thrive on speed and tempo control. Those teams will benefit the most.

Personally I prefer seeing the variety in game and the desperation to effect the opposition, but that option to do so is taken away with this ruling.

No, it favours having the ball in play more often because teams were quite frankly taking the piss with the amount of time the ball was out of play, and it was only getting worse.

Tension or not, that's not the incentive for not having the rule brought in. 

You prefer not having it punished, until it happens to Brentford when you're chasing an equaliser or winner and the opposition start taking 30-40 seconds each throw-in and goal-kick. Then you wonder why the referee only plays 3+ minutes of stoppage time. 

44 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think that was a fair result for both teams, we were robbed of two goals though which is bullshit.

Two goals?

Chilwell's goal which was offside, as was Salah's?

Decent game... 

Fair result overall... Didn't expect anything from this and after he first 20 minutes and going 2 goals down my expectations were being fully met.. slight offside call changed our tempo and I was more interested in how we would react about being behind and was not disappointed.. 

Gallagher was a bit iffy in the first half but had a solid second half along with Fernandez who also looked good throughout.. Fair play to Sterling he was great today and the only thing missing from all our possession was more goals something we sadly suffered from last season.. The whole team played really well and it shows a lot of promise for the future, considering they are almost a brand new team hope has been renewed.. 

Salah having a paddy was probably the highlight of the match... apart from our goal obviously B|

56 minutes ago, Stan said:

No, it favours having the ball in play more often because teams were quite frankly taking the piss with the amount of time the ball was out of play, and it was only getting worse.

Tension or not, that's not the incentive for not having the rule brought in. 

You prefer not having it punished, until it happens to Brentford when you're chasing an equaliser or winner and the opposition start taking 30-40 seconds each throw-in and goal-kick. Then you wonder why the referee only plays 3+ minutes of stoppage time. 

No mate when it happens to us it is what it is, regardless I'd rather have variation in tactical approaches than an attempted homogenised approach for everyone to play to the same speed as the likes of City and Arsenal.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Danny said:

No mate when it happens to us it is what it is, regardless I'd rather have variation in tactical approaches than an attempted homogenised approach for everyone to play to the same speed as the likes of City and Arsenal.

I still don't think that's the incentive, to get teams playing like that. 

They just want to eradicate the piss-taking that every team does which gives them an unfair advantage. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Jeezy peeps man. The two Schade penalty shouts were clear as day, how have they not been given? Schade is too quick and will win a lot of pens this season

Two? 

The one where he gets cleaned out by the keeper after shooting are always debatable. Ball was long gone. 

What was the other one? 

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Maybe speaking too early but Wolves look better than what I thought they would

Yeah, I think we all collectively forgot that they still have a lot of very handy players in their squad. They’ve done well so far here. 

Just now, Rick said:

Yeah, I think we all collectively forgot that they still have a lot of very handy players in their squad. They’ve done well so far here. 

Yeah very easy to forget that, a lot of quality on the ball. Just lacking goals though

Archived