talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

18 hours ago, Danny said:

Lets be honest if there was one city outside of London you’d expect to be associated it would be Liverpool lol

Wanker bankers don’t really fit in with the vibe of our city tbh

15 hours ago, Michael said:

Liverpool are showing interest in Atalanta's Ederson. He looks a good player if they manage to get him.

I think journos that have a track record of being right about LFC said this rumour’s not got anything in it.

I’d welcome it though he’s a good player.

2 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Football on TV has never quite been the same since Alan Hansen retired.

I think plenty only remember Hansen from MOTD, myself included, but from what my dad and older fellas say about him as a footballer, there weren't many better. I always get 'you think Van Dijk is good you should have seen Hansen'. Always amazes me he only got 26 caps for Scotland given he was a key member of a Liverpool side that dominated for 10-15 years

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, LFCMike said:

I think plenty only remember Hansen from MOTD, myself included, but from what my dad and older fellas say about him as a footballer, there weren't many better. I always get 'you think Van Dijk is good you should have seen Hansen'. Always amazes me he only got 26 caps for Scotland given he was a key member of a Liverpool side that dominated for 10-15 years

My dad says I’ve never seen a defender anywhere near as good as Hansen was. I’m like you, never saw him as a player, only really know him from MOTD.

But sounds like if you remember anything about our golden days there’s no question who the best defender to ever play for us is.

• Subscriber

All I remember about him was watching him on TV when I was younger towards the end of his career at Liverpool. Couldn't have gauged much at the time considering I was more into watching goals and midfielders but I do hope he gets well soon. My dad really liked him at the time too. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So how long do we think Nunez gets banned for? I imagine Slot woke up today, saw what happened in the Copa America, and said “what the fuck?!”

Reckon it could just be internationals only?

Or actual football ban regardless of competition. 

Suppose there has to be context taken into account - not like he's just picked a random fan or group to attack. If they were attacking his family or teammates' families, they're fair game.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So how long do we think Nunez gets banned for? I imagine Slot woke up today, saw what happened in the Copa America, and said “what the fuck?!”

Not in a chance. I think the fans put his family in danger and I also think he'll tell anyone to fuck off that thinks otherwise and take the ban if its doled out.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Reckon it could just be internationals only?

Or actual football ban regardless of competition. 

Suppose there has to be context taken into account - not like he's just picked a random fan or group to attack. If they were attacking his family or teammates' families, they're fair game.

He jumped into the stands after his family had been moved away from the fan attack though. I understand being emotional, but doing that is just stupid - it's egging on a group of people who've demonstrated they're willing to be violent, and putting himself and other people in unnecessary risk of being seriously hurt.

If a player can get a second yellow after a yellow card offense for complaining a bit with no real time to cool down and accept what's happened, I don't see why a player wouldn't get punished for reacting like that after the players' families had been moved onto the pitch. Obviously he's not picked a random fan or group to attack, but once his family's safe he's really got no business getting directly involved.

It's not his job to fight people or keep the peace - that's the police's job.

55 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Not in a chance. I think the fans put his family in danger and I also think he'll tell anyone to fuck off that thinks otherwise and take the ban if its doled out.

I think when you consider the context that his family was no longer in danger when he jumped in, it's harder to justify. I can't see him not getting some sort of ban for this.

Hopefully if I'm right it's just an international ban though and that would actually be a massive benefit to us tbh. But I imagine FIFA will see this and take it seriously, because players doing this to a group of people who've already shown they'll be violent dickheads is just going to increase the likelihood of someone (or more than someone) getting seriously hurt. Maybe they'll consider the context of he's emotional because his young toddler was put in a situation a toddler should never have been put in, and consider the context of the police doing absolutely nothing to calm that situation.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He jumped into the stands after his family had been moved away from the fan attack though. I understand being emotional, but doing that is just stupid - it's egging on a group of people who've demonstrated they're willing to be violent, and putting himself and other people in unnecessary risk of being seriously hurt.

If a player can get a second yellow after a yellow card offense for complaining a bit with no real time to cool down and accept what's happened, I don't see why a player wouldn't get punished for reacting like that after the players' families had been moved onto the pitch. Obviously he's not picked a random fan or group to attack, but once his family's safe he's really got no business getting directly involved.

It's not his job to fight people or keep the peace - that's the police's job.

Yeah true. Don't disagree with any of it all really. Guess he got a bit territorial and heated, letting his emotions take over. Sounded like Police weren't really doing their job in the first place though, whether Nunez went into the stand or not! 

He's gone in as if Colombian fans are gonna be like 'ah fuck Nunez is here throwing fists, let's back off and have a day off'. Just gonna antagonise the situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Yeah true. Don't disagree with any of it all really. Guess he got a bit territorial and heated, letting his emotions take over. Sounded like Police weren't really doing their job in the first place though, whether Nunez went into the stand or not! 

He's gone in as if Colombian fans are gonna be like 'ah fuck Nunez is here throwing fists, let's back off and have a day off'. Just gonna antagonise the situation. 

Yeah for sure. I don't really think he was thinking, lol, which is understandable - he had his young kid in harms way and even once the toddler's been moved to safety and been protected, I fully understand him being incredibly angry. But him jumping into the stands to throw punches is just wildly stupid.

The police in the stadium were a disgrace though, not really sure why they were so uninvolved the whole way through (even when Darwin gets involved, he even takes a punch to the face right in front of a cop).

Just an overall stupid situation, imho. The Colombia fans being stupid for starting the chaos in the first place, the Charlotte police for... not doing...anything..., and the Uruguayan players for thinking "yeah let's go jump in and beat the shit out of them, that'll show them." Having been to Charlotte for work, like the Colombia and Uruguay players, I will say that it is a deeply unpleasant place and I fully understand just generally being more pissed off than normal just from being there.

So if they're considering mitigating factors, there's a lot they have to consider. And I hope he does avoid a ban, or the ban is only for international matches... because for all the stick I gave him for not putting away so many golden opportunities last season, he is an important player for us and does have the potential to grow into a truly terrifying striker if he can develop just a drop of composure in front of goal.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to need to see some movement in the window soon. I’m still feeling calm about it, but it’s feeling like everybody is doing something while we are sitting around.

Apparently we were willing to let Gomez go in part exchange for Gordon, but Newcastle pulled the plug once they got the cash in from other sales. After that, I can’t see Gomez wanting to stick around knowing he’s not entirely wanted by Slot. Marseille sticking in an offer for Endo doesn’t come without getting some sort of encouragement from the players side, so it’s likely he goes somewhere before the window closes. Happy to let Basetic & Morton fight for that spot, but it’s risky, especially with the former’s injury record. I’m not screaming out for a slew of new players this time around. It would have been nice for any new players to have been a bigger part of the pre season. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Going to need to see some movement in the window soon. I’m still feeling calm about it, but it’s feeling like everybody is doing something while we are sitting around.

Apparently we were willing to let Gomez go in part exchange for Gordon, but Newcastle pulled the plug once they got the cash in from other sales. After that, I can’t see Gomez wanting to stick around knowing he’s not entirely wanted by Slot. Marseille sticking in an offer for Endo doesn’t come without getting some sort of encouragement from the players side, so it’s likely he goes somewhere before the window closes. Happy to let Basetic & Morton fight for that spot, but it’s risky, especially with the former’s injury record. I’m not screaming out for a slew of new players this time around. It would have been nice for any new players to have been a bigger part of the pre season. 

Not sure what will happen with Gomez but the Gordon deal could still happen. Suppose it depends on what happens with Diaz but Gordon definitely wants the Liverpool move.

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Wouldn’t worry much about the Endo offer. Marseilles made an offer and we basically immediately rejected, which is reasonable because he’s our only senior player in midfield that really plays the way he does.

Doubt Newcastle would be willing to let Gordon go unless Gordon really agitates for the move, which I don’t think he will do.

With Gomez, I’d be sad to see him go. He had a true comeback season last year and showed how important it is having someone of his quality that can play anywhere across the back.

• 2 weeks later...

This Zubimendi deal is taking its time. No news of any agreement with the club or even the lad himself. Seems we asked him if he’s be interested, were told yes, but now he is having cold feet and we are sat like knobs. 

One week from the season opener and I won’t pretend that I’m not disappointed in the lack of movement. Great looking deals to get young players out of the club, but no sniff of anything close to being done in term of senior incomings. When you’ve got Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham tying deals up within 48 hours, it’s a bit frustrating. You want your new players being some part of the pre season, even if it was just today’s game. Bit silly to have done all of the US tour, seen the squad, yet still haven’t moved on any targets.

Only team in the league not to do any business so far, and I’d bet there aren’t many in the top 4-5 leagues in Europe that haven’t brought a single player in. We don’t even need much, another midfielder, a centre back and possibly another attacker. We aren’t the only team to have a new manager, so that’s no excuse to be this idle.  

3 hours ago, Rick said:

This Zubimendi deal is taking its time. No news of any agreement with the club or even the lad himself. Seems we asked him if he’s be interested, were told yes, but now he is having cold feet and we are sat like knobs. 

One week from the season opener and I won’t pretend that I’m not disappointed in the lack of movement. Great looking deals to get young players out of the club, but no sniff of anything close to being done in term of senior incomings. When you’ve got Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham tying deals up within 48 hours, it’s a bit frustrating. You want your new players being some part of the pre season, even if it was just today’s game. Bit silly to have done all of the US tour, seen the squad, yet still haven’t moved on any targets.

Only team in the league not to do any business so far, and I’d bet there aren’t many in the top 4-5 leagues in Europe that haven’t brought a single player in. We don’t even need much, another midfielder, a centre back and possibly another attacker. We aren’t the only team to have a new manager, so that’s no excuse to be this idle.  

It's a strange one - do you want Slot to continue in the Klopp mould (as has happened) or bring in his own people.

It's a tough one, but standing still generally doesn't end well.