talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

So now we have to go 6 months with a worse keeper than Migs. A keeper that I have genuinely never seen make a meaningful save for us. 

Great. 

Yep, doesn't fill you with confidence. Both shite, but Mignolet is marginally better

3 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Yep, doesn't fill you with confidence. Both shite, but Mignolet is marginally better

Yeah, I mean Migs is pretty poor and as we all know is prone to mind boggling errors. However, he’s much more experienced than Karius, is a much stronger character and does actually go on decent runs of form now and again. 

Totally bombing him out at this stage of the season is poor on Klopp’s part in my opinion. Especially when Migs only replacement is a confidence starved rookie that never actually saves anything. 

Again, we’ve weakened ourselves at a crucial part of the season for no apparent reason. 

• Subscriber

Have to say this, if Migs was in goal on Sunday then Sane doesn't get a world class goal and Gundogan doesn't get a free pass into the net. For all his shortcomings as a keeper and the mental bloopers he has shown time and time again I will give him this, he is a very good shot stopper at close range. Having said all that this is definitely curtains on his time at the club and hopefully the silver lining is, as Mike said, a new keeper in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

Have to say this, if Migs was in goal on Sunday then Sane doesn't get a world class goal and Gundogan doesn't get a free pass into the net. For all his shortcomings as a keeper and the mental bloopers he has shown time and time again I will give him this, he is a very good shot stopper at close range. Having said all that this is definitely curtains on his time at the club and hopefully the silver lining is, as Mike said, a new keeper in the summer. 

That's a massive assumption mate and I disagree completely. Despite the reputation he's somehow managed to get from Liverpool fans for being a great shot stopper, he's actually a very bad one, consistently ranking near the bottom of the league in whatever metric you care to look at.

I do think he's the better goalkeeper of the two (although that says more about Karius than it does Mignolet), but Karius's distribution is better, which may help us break down shit teams, and I think the defence looks a little more solid in front of Karius as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VanPaddy said:

Liverpool I believe have enquired about Jasper Cillessen from Barcelona, but he doesnt want to leave Barcelona even if he sits on the bench.

The thing is, we shouldn’t be gambling on another keeper from a foreign league that will probably need time to establish himself. I’d rather we go for someone proven in this league, someone like Kasper perhaps from Leicester. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

The thing is, we shouldn’t be gambling on another keeper from a foreign league that will probably need time to establish himself. I’d rather we go for someone proven in this league, someone like Kasper perhaps from Leicester. 

Well you bought the current keeper from another English club Sunderland,  that has not really worked out well.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

nah you don't want him

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It doesn't really matter where they're coming from as long as they're good enough. You get what you pay for. At 4m Karius was always going to be more hope than expectation. Spend big on a top keeper and there's less chance of it going wrong.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

That's a massive assumption mate and I disagree completely. Despite the reputation he's somehow managed to get from Liverpool fans for being a great shot stopper, he's actually a very bad one, consistently ranking near the bottom of the league in whatever metric you care to look at.

I do think he's the better goalkeeper of the two (although that says more about Karius than it does Mignolet), but Karius's distribution is better, which may help us break down shit teams, and I think the defence looks a little more solid in front of Karius as well.

I'll give you that his metrics may look bad but then you have to also look at the way in which the goals were conceded from positions a goalkeeper should be stopping them from. Karius should be about half a foot to the right and that ball from Sane doesn't go in. I wouldn't say Migs is a lot better but I'll give him enough that he would have done a lot better in that instance. Karius was literally in the goal when he tried to touch the ball to deflect it. As for the second goal I have zero faith in Karius ever stopping anything like that ever. I blame the defenders more and maybe if Virgil is around then Gundogan doesn't even get a chance to touch it (big if) but we've seen before that when it comes down to closing spaces Migs is better than Karius in that aspect. He won't organize a defense or be an excellent distributor (never will be imo) but I would still bet that one of those two or even both of them do not find the back of the net with him in goal.

It won't matter in the end because the boss doesn't want him playing big games anymore and once a goalkeeper comes out and says the kinds of things he has then performances will start to drop and I doubt he'll ever go on a decent run as well. He's just looking to move and if we can replace him with someone in this transfer window that is an upgrade and not a horizontal shift we'll be better off for it.

31 minutes ago, VanPaddy said:

Well you bought the current keeper from another English club Sunderland,  that has not really worked out well.

He wasn’t really proven though, that’s my point. He was a keeper doing well at a struggling team. Kasper has at least had a few years to establish himself and has picked up a league winners medal to boot. He also plays in a side that like to play on the break similar to us. He’d come in and just slot straight in. 

Im not saying we will go for Kasper by the way, was just a suggestion. 

29 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It doesn't really matter where they're coming from as long as they're good enough. You get what you pay for. At 4m Karius was always going to be more hope than expectation. Spend big on a top keeper and there's less chance of it going wrong.

See my post above. It was just a suggestion. 

37 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

No of course I don’t think he’s the BEST answer, was just an example of someone who come straight in and hit the ground running. As I said, was just a suggestion. 

He'd definitely be a big improvement on the two we have now. Aim higher though. 

Jurgen Klopp: "I'm a football romantic. I'm confident but not as confident as other managers, thinking this club will call, that club will call. A lot of clubs called and I said 'No, no chance, I need to make a break now'. Even my wife knew, if Liverpool is calling, I go.

"Yes there was interest - Manchester United, yes they were interested a year or a year-and-a-half before, but it didn't feel right. I couldn't say Man United is not my club, it didn't feel right.

"When Liverpool called, I had no chance. It was actually too early for my plans. I said, 'Wow, come on!' But then coming here and feeling the spirit immediately, it was just, for me, a match in heaven." 🙌

• Administrator

seems like a bit of a lenient sentence?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42715074

Liverpool footballer Jon Flanagan has been sentenced to 40 hours of unpaid work and a community order for assaulting his girlfriend.

The 25-year-old defender pleaded guilty to common assault by beating of Rachael Wall at an earlier hearing.

Liverpool Magistrates' Court heard he "slammed" his partner against the wall and kicked her "while she was on the floor" in Liverpool on 22 December.

Flanagan has made more than 50 first-team appearances for the club.

A club spokesman condemned "in the strongest possible terms, the player's actions" and said the club will now begin considering "any internal disciplinary action".

The 12-month community order will include 15 rehabilitation activity days, 40 hours of unpaid work, £85 costs and an £85 victim surcharge.

The court was shown CCTV footage of Flanagan hitting his partner, pushing her against a wall twice and then kicking her in Duke Street in the city centre at about 03:20 GMT.

Alan Currums, prosecuting, said a witness stated he had "seen the male throw the female against the wall and then kick her while she was on the floor".

He said the man saw Flanagan place one hand on Ms Wall's neck and one on her throat before he "slammed her against the wall".

The witness said he shouted from his balcony to Flanagan that he was "out of order" and the footballer replied with offensive language that he would "come and knock you out".

Sentencing the Liverpool-born player, District Judge Wendy Lloyd said it was "undoubtedly sad".

"It was a matter of this lady going to the floor twice and you used your foot on her on one occasion," she said.

"The lady was seen to have injuries but of course she said she does not attribute those injuries to you."

Lionel Greig, mitigating, said Flanagan "deeply regrets his behaviour" and "there is genuine remorse".

Mr Greig said both parties were under the influence of alcohol at the time and there was no suggestion there had been any previous violence in the relationship.

"They are back together and working very hard at the relationship and supporting one another," he added.

A Liverpool FC spokesman said: "It leaves his own reputation damaged and, through association, he has severely let down the club he had previously represented with distinction."

He said the club has "expressed to him our disappointment and anger that he has failed to live up to" its values and the internal process of "deciding on or implementing any internal disciplinary action" will now begin.

surprised she's still with him as well