talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-stick-loris-karius-14280458

Some good news - the keeper rotation seems to have come to an end with Karius's rise in form. I'm still not convinced by Karius, but the last two matches are encouraging and I'd much rather give him the rest of the season to try to claim the position as his own rather than persist with Mignolet, who's had ample opportunity to demonstrate that he's simply not good enough.

I hope Mignolet is on his way out in the summer.

I wonder how much of this is to do with Karius's rise in form and how much is to do with Mignolet's little outburst in the media. Hilarious if he thought he could win his place back by whining to the press instead of by not playing like shit and it's completely backfired.

I'm generally in favour of this. Karius has done well over the last two games (although I'm not sure how much of that is just because my expectations for him are rock bottom) and I think we'll benefit from a settled back five.

Mignolet won't be going anywhere in the summer, though, for the simple reason that no one will buy him. His wages will price out every club on his level; Championship clubs simply don't make that much money.

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

I wonder how much of this is to do with Karius's rise in form and how much is to do with Mignolet's little outburst in the media. Hilarious if he thought he could win his place back by whining to the press instead of by not playing like shit and it's completely backfired.

I'm generally in favour of this. Karius has done well over the last two games (although I'm not sure how much of that is just because my expectations for him are rock bottom) and I think we'll benefit from a settled back five.

Mignolet won't be going anywhere in the summer, though, for the simple reason that no one will buy him. His wages will price out every club on his level; Championship clubs simply don't make that much money.

I think Karius is doing better in large because of how vocal VVD is. We look more solid defensively with an actual leader at the back. And I definitely think we'll benefit from a settled back five.

Klopp speaking about our travelling fans last night. The man is just utter class. 

Some supporters have experienced difficulties in attempting travelling home following the fixture, with flights affected by local weather conditions.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com at the Reds’ training camp in Marbella, Klopp issued a message for Reds fans by saying: “I want to say thank you for doing what you did – not only yesterday, but in the last few weeks, months, years and decades. It’s outstanding – you are a big part of this fantastic club.

“Before we all came in, we felt we knew you already – we didn’t, but we felt like this. Now we know you, it still feels outstanding.

“I heard about [the travel problems] and friends of mine have had the same problem, but I hope you still have a little bit in mind what we did last night and still can enjoy a little bit of Porto, even when the weather is not that good.”

Klopp added: “The support last night was fantastic, really fantastic. I enjoyed it so much. It was easy to find them because it was pretty dark where they were sitting from our point of view – but we heard them.

“It was fantastic and I have to say thank you for all the things they did last night. I love our away crowd and they are full of joy when they can see a Liverpool game and enjoy themselves. I really love that.”

• 2 weeks later...

Gutted that Liverpool can't win the league. 32 goals conceded is poor and has cost them. It's all about getting the results in the end but it'd be nice if the kind of football they play won them titles. Can't complain about City in that regard to be fair, but it'd be nice to have a title race between two positive, captivating sides.

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Do people still get excited about players signing new contracts? Every good player that signs a new contract with us is off within a year! xD

I think Firmino really enjoys it here, and along with Mane, I dont think they go anywgere else and do better. Salah is a different beast, he can leave for any club in the world. 

I also don't want us fleeced.

7 minutes ago, FOYM said:

I think Firmino really enjoys it here, and along with Mane, I dont think they go anywgere else and do better. Salah is a different beast, he can leave for any club in the world. 

I also don't want us fleeced.

They may enjoy it here and they may not do better anywhere else but it doesn't mean they wouldn't try if an offer came along from a side that pretty much guaranteed silverware every year

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

They may enjoy it here and they may not do better anywhere else but it doesn't mean they wouldn't try if an offer came along from a side that pretty much guaranteed silverware every year

Agree with this but in response to this page I'd say that a) players happiness does still have an impact, even if that is secondary to the impact of silverware opportunities and often money and b) it is still important to get players on long contracts, just look at Arsenal to see what happens if you're careless, so it's still worth celebrating contract extensions even if now the reason is "we are well protected when the bastard hands in a transfer request" rather than "yes this good player will be with us for another 4 years".