talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

On 24/08/2021 at 18:21, Dr. Gonzo said:

Keeping ahold of our best players and guaranteeing that if someone is going to try sign them, we'll get a shitload of money - it's something we haven't really be able to do for a long time.

Coutinho, Suarez, Torres... we nearly always get top dollar. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
On 24/08/2021 at 18:28, LFCMike said:

Salah, Mane and Henderson all up in 2023. Hopefully get all three sorted 

Henderson will be 33 then, I don't think he'll be as pivotal. You'll be phasing him out of midfield by that point for someone else. 

7 minutes ago, Batard said:

Henderson will be 33 then, I don't think he'll be as pivotal. You'll be phasing him out of midfield by that point for someone else. 

I agree but you'd want to keep Henderson around in the role that Milner has filled over the last few years

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Rick said:

Rumours that Edwards is stepping down at the end of the season. Bad news for us, he’s been brilliant. 

Apparently he's had an assistant working alongside him for a while now so hopefully he'll be able to carry on the good work. 

• Subscriber

I know you don't want to hear it and it's not even wishful thinking on my part because I'm sick of the three "money is no object" clubs in the Premier League but it's hard to see how Liverpool remain competitive with them in the long term. Klopp and Edwards have both done an exceptional job in the transfer market and with the players brought in, but they won't be around forever. Unlike Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea who can just bounce back and try again with another £200m every 6 months, a bad transfer window or the wrong managerial appointment after Klopp could set Liverpool back for more than a single season and it would be incredibly difficult to build back with another series of signings with such a good hit rate like they managed with the current squad. If they can keep getting more or less everything right in the long run then fair play, but it's hard to imagine that the financial gap can be bridged by clever management indefinitely. 

I'm not even saying this as an Everton fan who wants to see this either. Right now it just feels like those three clubs are moving to a level propped up by Financial 'Fair' Play that will become unassailable even for a team like Liverpool and I think that's just shite.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I know you don't want to hear it and it's not even wishful thinking on my part because I'm sick of the three "money is no object" clubs in the Premier League but it's hard to see how Liverpool remain competitive with them in the long term. Klopp and Edwards have both done an exceptional job in the transfer market and with the players brought in, but they won't be around forever. Unlike Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea who can just bounce back and try again with another £200m every 6 months, a bad transfer window or the wrong managerial appointment after Klopp could set Liverpool back for more than a single season and it would be incredibly difficult to build back with another series of signings with such a good hit rate like they managed with the current squad. If they can keep getting more or less everything right in the long run then fair play, but it's hard to imagine that the financial gap can be bridged by clever management indefinitely. 

I'm not even saying this as an Everton fan who wants to see this either. Right now it just feels like those three clubs are moving to a level propped up by Financial 'Fair' Play that will become unassailable even for a team like Liverpool and I think that's just shite.

There's always the unexpected like Chelsea getting the transfer ban.

Also new money might come into premiership and launch a new big club.

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Waylander said:

There's always the unexpected like Chelsea getting the transfer ban.

Also new money might come into premiership and launch a new big club.

Chelsea still managed to sign Kovacic and Pulisic using loopholes the window they were "banned" from signing players, if I remember correctly.

And the second point isn't true, because of Financial fair play.

Michael Edwards has been brilliant, tbh. I hope he’s trained his successor well… because I think we’ll definitely miss him. He’s got a good eye for talent and has been a brilliant negotiator for us.

To go from the face of Rodgers’ scapegoated “transfer committee” to our Director of Football and have so much success in the new role with the new manager I think speaks to how good he is at his job.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I mean look at the job Edwards did up to us winning the title: only one real flop in Karius… and he was one of our cheaper signings. Even players like Grujic who came in early in Klopp’s reign we sold for a profit.

City have dropped the gauntlet and made it look like a team has to be near perfect to win the title. We are fortunate they fell off in the league early… because the season prior shows that even with us in title winning form, a club with City’s resources can be even better than one of the best sides the prem had ever seen statistically.

Honestly I’m a bit worried about what life after Edwards looks like, because it’s not often you get someone who gets so much to go right in such a short span of time.

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Chelsea still managed to sign Kovacic and Pulisic using loopholes the window they were "banned" from signing players, if I remember correctly.

And the second point isn't true, because of Financial fair play.

Pulisic we had bought him before the ban and for him to move at the end of that season. Kovacic was already at the club though on a loan.

Agree it was not about FFP though shows when they want to act they can. 

Kind of shit though that all Liverpool related discussion on deadline day isn't about us signing an attacker that we so sorely need (and you can tell we need one because when we needed to throw on someone to break down Chelsea with our final substitution... we substituted on our backup left back rather than the Ox & Minamino - which I think reflects a bit on what Klopp thinks they could have done against that Chelsea)...

... it's instead about us scrambling to see if we can maybe get Edwards to sign a contract extension.

Feels like the club probably knew about his likely departure before today... but they've chosen to release this information as a bit of a distraction from our lack of activity on the market this window, while all of our domestic rivals have spent serious money trying to strengthen.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Kind of shit though that all Liverpool related discussion on deadline day isn't about us signing an attacker that we so sorely need (and you can tell we need one because when we needed to throw on someone to break down Chelsea with our final substitution... we substituted on our backup left back rather than the Ox & Minamino - which I think reflects a bit on what Klopp thinks they could have done against that Chelsea)...

Nah.. we substituted Robertson because he'd been injured and this was his first game game back and was looking really tired. 

Nothing to do with anything else.

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

... it's instead about us scrambling to see if we can maybe get Edwards to sign a contract extension.

Feels like the club probably knew about his likely departure before today... but they've chosen to release this information as a bit of a distraction from our lack of activity on the market this window, while all of our domestic rivals have spent serious money trying to strengthen.

Robertson was goosed, that's why Tsimikas came on. I'd have probably made that sub earlier because it was clear Robertson was having a poor game. It's unfortunate that Firmino was injured in the first half because that's taken away one of your second half subs. 

I don't understand why we don't change the front three up when things aren't going our way. We could have moved Jota left, Mane right and Salah through the middle. Mane was having no joy down the left and the right hand side saw Trent, Elliott and Salah all wanting to come inside against a team that was just defending their 18 yard box.

In hindsight, Chamberlain on for Henderson might have been the better sub. Thiago didn't do a lot wrong but Chamberlain is more direct.

Edited by LFCMike
  • Upvote 1

Weird one this. I can see the argument for keeping him around for another season as fifth choice, although personally I'd have cashed in on him. Extending his contract though, which presumably comes with a wage increase? Feels like we could just be pricing out any potential buyers which I think it's probably the issue with Origi now too. 

13 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Weird one this. I can see the argument for keeping him around for another season as fifth choice, although personally I'd have cashed in on him. Extending his contract though, which presumably comes with a wage increase? Feels like we could just be pricing out any potential buyers which I think it's probably the issue with Origi now too. 

The only way this is logical is if we have agree a loan with option to buy with somebody. The extension would leave us with good value if they end up wanting it permanent. If not, it’s stupid because his stock is only going to drop from here. 

• Upvote 2