talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It says he’s a left back and central midfielder though.

It’s a young James Milner by the sounds of it

Says central defender in the first paragraph then later in the article that he can play left back and midfield

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well if it's true that we're not in for a CB in January, I think we're a bit fucked.

I'm choosing to take it as a positive that Henderson was at centre back tonight. It's obviously not a sustainable strategy to have two of your best midfielders in defence, and if we were going to continue with Phillips/Williams for the season, one of them should've been in tonight for a vote of confidence and obviously for the continued experience. So either we're getting someone else, or we're continuing with Henderson until Matip's back... and then going again when Matip gets injured again a fortnight later

7 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I'm choosing to take it as a positive that Henderson was at centre back tonight. It's obviously not a sustainable strategy to have two of your best midfielders in defence, and if we were going to continue with Phillips/Williams for the season, one of them should've been in tonight for a vote of confidence and obviously for the continued experience. So either we're getting someone else, or we're continuing with Henderson until Matip's back... and then going again when Matip gets injured again a fortnight later

I dunno, seeing how shit our midfield was made me really hate having both Henderson and Fabinho at the back. I hope we don't have to do that more than a couple times ever again in my lifetime.

Talk is Gini has rejected the contract and has made up his mind to join Barca in the summer :(

I’ll miss him, he’s a LFC legend for the last few seasons and the numerous massive performances he’s put in. And this season he’s been one of our best players imo.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Talk is Gini has rejected the contract and has made up his mind to join Barca in the summer :(

I’ll miss him, he’s a LFC legend for the last few seasons and the numerous massive performances he’s put in. And this season he’s been one of our best players imo.

It will be a shame if they don't manage to come to an agreement. Do we have to look at signing a central midfielder in the summer? We do have numbers there at the moment but you have Thiago, Chamberlain and Keita who all have a history of lengthy lay offs or niggly injuries that keep them out for a few weeks at a time. Milner has just turned 35 and ideally I don't think Klopp would have Henderson starting twice a week. Moving one or both of Chamberlain and Keita on and signing someone who can be relied on fitness wise might be something they consider

16 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It will be a shame if they don't manage to come to an agreement. Do we have to look at signing a central midfielder in the summer? We do have numbers there at the moment but you have Thiago, Chamberlain and Keita who all have a history of lengthy lay offs or niggly injuries that keep them out for a few weeks at a time. Milner has just turned 35 and ideally I don't think Klopp would have Henderson starting twice a week. Moving one or both of Chamberlain and Keita on and signing someone who can be relied on fitness wise might be something they consider

You can't guarantee signing someone who can be relied upon fitness wise though.

I'm sure when we signed Kieta it wasn't just for the odd game here and there for example. 

It's a shame if true regarding Gini, he will need replacing no doubt. Lets just hope who we do sign someone as durable as him. Never going to happen unfortunately, he is a machine.

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

You can't guarantee signing someone who can be relied upon fitness wise though.

I'm sure when we signed Kieta it wasn't just for the odd game here and there for example. 

It's a shame if true regarding Gini, he will need replacing no doubt. Lets just hope who we do sign someone as durable as him. Never going to happen unfortunately, he is a machine.

Of course you can't. I don't recall any reports of Keita having fitness issues before joining us (I think I was more worried about the amount of red cards he picked up in his final season at Leipzig!) but there's only so long you can let it go on when you have two or three injury prone players in the same position. You need to try and fix that issue rather than doing nothing.

I like the look of that Bissouma from Brighton, he would be a good one to look at for us as he is good at holding the ball and has a creative eye to go with. Be a nice replacement for Gini’s position. 

Shame that Gini won’t re-sign, but considering how vital he has been for us over the years I don’t think it’s unreasonable for him to want wages that reflect that importance. I really hope the club aren’t undervaluing him in the contract offer, because that’s what it seems like from the stalemate both have been in. He deserves one great last contract with us, after all he has done on relatively low wages for his stature in the squad. 

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I’d say Mustafi has had a shocking number of years and it’s not fair to bring him up as a suggestion to the people who think we need a defender. 

It's entirely fair and just an example. There's not going to be any top quality available so the main question is how far down do you go to find an acceptable option? Most of us will agree we need one, including myself. We'll all have different ideas on what's worth it though

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Thoughts? 

I wouldn't draw a line anywhere honestly. This is a player who has worked in a system that hasn't really benefited him and who are the fans to decide what Klopp and his coaching staff see and want. If they woke up and said they want Mustafi hell would break lose in the fan-base with comments like "I cant believe we've signed this garbage", etc etc. 

A few months later "You know that Mustafi's really come along and I put all my faith in Klopp". Color me shocked until the next episode.

39 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's entirely fair and just an example. There's not going to be any top quality available so the main question is how far down do you go to find an acceptable option? Most of us will agree we need one, including myself. We'll all have different ideas on what's worth it though

It entirely depends on what sort of budget we have. If it’s less than £20m then it’ll be difficult, but there’s quality to be found. From the way Klopp has been speaking, it sounds like it’ll only be a stop gap until the end of the season. So the question is.....who’s a better defender out of Sokratis & Mustafi? 😂

• Subscriber

I think we'll end the winter transfer window with a defender. I know the manager has come out with a comment about fighting the conditions and maybe he knows something no one else does about injuries and when the recoveries will happen but I still think he's got his eye on someone and things are being worked out.

24 minutes ago, Rick said:

It entirely depends on what sort of budget we have. If it’s less than £20m then it’ll be difficult, but there’s quality to be found. From the way Klopp has been speaking, it sounds like it’ll only be a stop gap until the end of the season. So the question is.....who’s a better defender out of Sokratis & Mustafi? 😂

If Liverpool have a move for a CB lined up for the summer but that just can't be done in January, do you do anything that might affect the summer?

23 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

If Liverpool have a move for a CB lined up for the summer but that just can't be done in January, do you do anything that might affect the summer?

If that’s the case, then no I wouldn’t want to jeopardise any move that may be lined up. But what about Garay? He’s 34, fair enough, but he would definitely take a six month contract to get us through if we are just looking for a stop gap signings. 

I know a certain somebody is screaming constantly for the youth to be given a chance, and whilst I am all for youth players being developed, there is just far too much at stake this season for us to rely on them. Let them play in the FA Cup tonight by all means, but I don’t want a situation where Reece Williams is starting a ton of big games. 

5 minutes ago, Rick said:

If that’s the case, then no I wouldn’t want to jeopardise any move that may be lined up. But what about Garay? He’s 34, fair enough, but he would definitely take a six month contract to get us through if we are just looking for a stop gap signings. 

I know a certain somebody is screaming constantly for the youth to be given a chance, and whilst I am all for youth players being developed, there is just far too much at stake this season for us to rely on them. Let them play in the FA Cup tonight by all means, but I don’t want a situation where Reece Williams is starting a ton of big games. 

There's probably a good reason he's still without a club. Did his ACL about a year ago didn't he from what I read last time I saw him suggested? Hardly someone you'd put confidence in to get you through an injury crisis at his age

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

There's probably a good reason he's still without a club. Did his ACL about a year ago didn't he from what I read last time I saw him suggested? Hardly someone you'd put confidence in to get you through an injury crisis at his age

Didn’t know about his ACL.