talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

Liverpool will not be able to travel to Germany for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against RB Leipzig on 16 February.

Germany has banned most travellers from countries, including the UK, hit hard by new variants of Covid-19.

A German interior ministry statement said Bundesliga club Leipzig had been told the fixture "does not meet the requirements for an exception".

Uefa said it was "in touch with the respective clubs" about the tie. 

Liverpool are being kept informed of developments as discussions take place about a solution.

European football's governing body Uefa has updated its regulations for the knockout stages of the Champions League and Europa League amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

If restrictions imposed in a country could result in a match not taking place, "the home club must propose a suitable alternative venue, which may be in a neutral country".

However, if the host club fails to do that and it is not possible to play the game at another venue or on a different date, Uefa says it will deem the match to have been forfeited, with the home side losing 3-0.

With Germany's restrictions in place until 17 February, an option could be to reverse the tie so Liverpool host the first leg. The second leg is scheduled to take place on 10 March.

Uefa added: "In all cases, the venue of a match must be approved by the Uefa administration, which has the right to assign an alternative venue for any particular match or even to decide that either or both legs of the relevant round to be rescheduled and/or played in a neutral country (within the territory of a Uefa member association) and/or organised as a single-leg.

"These decisions are final."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55941213

Nice 3-0 victory without having to life a finger xD

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

How do Leipzig get back into Germany if it's played at a neutral venue?

Have it in a neutral venue where it's not a country on the blacklist they currently have. (I'm not sure how many countries they've banned travel from). 

11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

How do Leipzig get back into Germany if it's played at a neutral venue?

I think it’s the fact that the U.K. has the new mutation that’s the issue. I’d bet on the first leg getting played in RB Salzburg’s stadium. 

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Have it in a neutral venue where it's not a country on the blacklist they currently have. (I'm not sure how many countries they've banned travel from). 

Yeah I thought so. As Rick said, Liverpool wouldn't agree to reverse the tie but that wouldn't solve the issue anyway.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

A German interior ministry statement said Bundesliga club Leipzig had been told the fixture "does not meet the requirements for an exception".

I was surprised at this bit.

I'd have thought it is an exception. One game. 

1 hour ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

You never wan't to rush players back but even if Mane and Fab are 80% we need them for Sunday.

Both must play. It’s such a massive game for both the points and the momentum that we need to have them. I would be tempted to try Kabak in the game as well. Need to fast track these lads right now. 

10 minutes ago, Rick said:

Both must play. It’s such a massive game for both the points and the momentum that we need to have them. I would be tempted to try Kabak in the game as well. Need to fast track these lads right now. 

I'd be inclined to agree, the only way I wouldn't play them would be if there was a chance that they would aggravate an injury.

Massive game for sure, it's just that we really couldn't handle another long term injury with so many games still to play.

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The away leg being played at Spurs sounds good to me. Also probably sounds good to Levy and Spurs because they’d probably get paid.

Ha he doesn’t miss a trick to be fair. 

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL BACK AT THE LANE, GET IN 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

That's sad. The rumours were flying around a couple of weeks ago that she had passed away.

I can only imagine how Jurgen feels not being able to fly home. Both my parents passed away from dementia within two years of each other, I flew back 5 times in those two years, I can't imagine how hard it would have been if I couldn't have travelled.