talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liverpool Discussion

football forum

So, what is the expectation for the rest of the season. Genuinely? 

With Henderson gone for a while (it sounds bad) we have to get used to that midfield for pretty much the rest of the season I think. A midfield that doesn’t work, with a defence behind that looks so flimsy. How are we getting anywhere near that top four? 

Injuries are one thing, but the absolute dog shit performances by some of these players just isn’t acceptable. Mane & Firmino have been a mess this season, put everything on Salah’s shoulders. They absolutely have not done anything for us have they, especially Firmino. The number of chances that have dropped to him and he has wasted is criminal. 

There is 14 games left, we have to win about 9/10 of those to get top four. At the least. Can’t see that at all. I think we may need to focus on the champions league to salvage anything this season, depends how the next couple of league games go. If we don’t beat Sheffield...fuck me that will be bad. West Ham could be 5 points ahead of us in 4th today so we need to go on a run sooner than later. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

With Henderson gone for a while (it sounds bad) we have to get used to that midfield for pretty much the rest of the season I think. A midfield that doesn’t work, with a defence behind that looks so flimsy. How are we getting anywhere near that top four? 

Injuries are one thing, but the absolute dog shit performances by some of these players just isn’t acceptable. Mane & Firmino have been a mess this season, put everything on Salah’s shoulders. They absolutely have not done anything for us have they, especially Firmino. The number of chances that have dropped to him and he has wasted is criminal. 

There is 14 games left, we have to win about 9/10 of those to get top four. At the least. Can’t see that at all. I think we may need to focus on the champions league to salvage anything this season, depends how the next couple of league games go. If we don’t beat Sheffield...fuck me that will be bad. West Ham could be 5 points ahead of us in 4th today so we need to go on a run sooner than later. 

Fuck knows. Top four doesn't seem at all likely at the moment. Just got to hope that Jota can come back in and lift things. When he's back, play all four of them. Got to try and change things up a bit because sticking with what we're doing with players that are at CB and in midfield at the moment isn't working

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I think realistically top 4 is gone. CL has to be the priority, but given how we just did against Everton... can you imagine how PSG or Bayern Munich would demolish us?

So odds are very high that we’re going to have a VERY unsuccessful season.

Things are very bad if we’re not confident of getting all 3 points from Sheffield United. And I’m not confident of even getting a point, unfortunately. In fact, Brewster will probably score on us.

Who knows? Top half of the table... maybe?

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think realistically top 4 is gone. CL has to be the priority, but given how we just did against Everton... can you imagine how PSG or Bayern Munich would demolish us?

So odds are very high that we’re going to have a VERY unsuccessful season.

Things are very bad if we’re not confident of getting all 3 points from Sheffield United. And I’m not confident of even getting a point, unfortunately. In fact, Brewster will probably score on us.

Who knows? Top half of the table... maybe?

I think top 4 is still a half decent possibility if we can get our act together and if we can avoid any more injuries.

City are clearly going to win it but other than them I haven't seen much from the others to suggest we can't catch them.

• Subscriber

From here on out its a very hard reach for top 4 to me. It's going to take something very important which we don't have right now and that's consistency. We can play in Europe and beat a team like Leipzig but then come home and lose to Everton in the following game with a similar team. That needs to change if we want to get into anything resembling a good European spot this season. Its also the tail-end of the season which means teams are now desperate to solidify positions and its going to be nothing like the start where its still okay to go and lose a game, no they want draws and will play the low-block which has troubled us all season. If we do get top 4 somehow it will be interesting to see what factor actually gets us there because nothing is working quite as expected right now. 

54 minutes ago, Rick said:

Henderson likely out for at least 4 weeks. Misses the Chelsea game & Leipzig second leg. 

Need Fab back pronto. I would like to see a change of system as well, maybe 3 at the back while we are struggling. 

Who's the three if you don't mind me asking?

Fabinho, Kabak and Phillips?

Personally as an outsider looking in I think I'd say the best three would be Fabinho, Kabak and Robertson as the three with that Greek lad at left wing back. Luke Shaw does the left hand CB role pretty well and I think Robertson could fill that space easily. 

Henderson is a huge loss though given the circumstances, who offers the same drive to your team without him. 

1 minute ago, Devil said:

Who's the three if you don't mind me asking?

Fabinho, Kabak and Phillips?

Personally as an outsider looking in I think I'd say the best three would be Fabinho, Kabak and Robertson as the three with that Greek lad at left wing back. Luke Shaw does the left hand CB role pretty well and I think Robertson could fill that space easily. 

Henderson is a huge loss though given the circumstances, who offers the same drive to your team without him. 

Don’t think Klopp fancies Tsimikas all that much, but it’s definitely one to ponder in the LWB role. If he was given a chance I think Robbo would do well in a back three as well. If not. Then you play Phillips, Kabak & Fabinho. Depending on how Davies is seen in the squad, then you can swap Phillips out for him. 

Considering how things aren’t working currently, I don’t see the harm in trying it. You would bolster up that midfield a bit with 5 there. 

51 minutes ago, Rick said:

Don’t think Klopp fancies Tsimikas all that much, but it’s definitely one to ponder in the LWB role. If he was given a chance I think Robbo would do well in a back three as well. If not. Then you play Phillips, Kabak & Fabinho. Depending on how Davies is seen in the squad, then you can swap Phillips out for him. 

Considering how things aren’t working currently, I don’t see the harm in trying it. You would bolster up that midfield a bit with 5 there. 

He clearly doesn't fancy a fair few of the defenders being played at the moment but like you said needs must and he needs to try something a bit different because you look fragile.

Kabak is young lad thrown completely into the deep end and in some ways I think he's lucky there are no fans there because you could imagine the amount of pressure he'd be under with the fans sighing every five minutes. 

51 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not writing Kabak off, he's still a baby in CB terms but he doesn't look like what we need at the moment. Positioning is pretty poor and he looks slow. Playing two with experience either side of Kabak or Phillips might be worth a try. I dunno

Agree, I didn’t expect him to be this slow to be honest. I know he’s only played 3 games, but it’s clear that he needs help. 

3 hours ago, Rick said:

Henderson likely out for at least 4 weeks. Misses the Chelsea game & Leipzig second leg. 

Need Fab back pronto. I would like to see a change of system as well, maybe 3 at the back while we are struggling. 

That prick Southgate will probably try to call him up and play him for Euro qualifiers

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think playing 3 at the back is a good idea when we have just a few CBs and none of them are very good tbh

It could help get Arnold and Robertson further up the pitch though without having to worry as much about what is behind them

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Scouse_Mouse said:

You have really missed an opportunity to become a trial lawyer with these deep probing questions Stan.

Yes, really, that's why I said it.:coffee:

Okay, was just surprised at that opinion. Care to elaborate why? 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

We will probably find ourselves 6 or 7 points off the Top 4 after our next 5 games and I'd expect Liverpool to leap frog us and West Ham at some point. 

Your Russian Tsar owner won't like that, he is possessed with being in Europe. xD

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Okay, was just surprised at that opinion. Care to elaborate why? 

Which part?

Not City looking like they have already got it in the bag? 

Or me not seeing much above us that couldn't be caught?

I think both your lot and manu have had good seasons, maybe punched a bit above their weight but I wouldn't say either weren't catchable. Chelsea look the weak link right now, shite under Lampard and a easy(ish) run of fixtures for the new guy. Our game coming up against them is going to be huge.

I'm not saying we will catch any or all of them, I'm just saying if we can get our act together and (a very big if) we can avoid more injuries then I think we still can make top 4.

btw I'm not writing Everton off either, their historic victory might give them more confidence going forward, but in all honesty I just don't see it, they have spent months just behind us with games in hand and bottled it every time. Will they use their big win as a springboard? Only time will tell Stan.

• Upvote 1

United have been very strong results-wise but are fundamentally not brilliant, and teams which are punching beyond their performances often find the results turn slightly. 

Leicester have looked probably the 2nd best team so far this season but they could easily have another Rodgers-style implosion. 

West Ham are doing great but I don't think they can maintain this form all season. 

Chelsea are looking resurgent atm but they will presumably slow down a bit once they hit a run of tough games.

I really don't think anyone is comfortably in the top 4 except City. It is wide open for the rest of the top 6-8 teams. 

Edited by Inverted

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

We will probably find ourselves 6 or 7 points off the Top 4 after our next 5 games and I'd expect Liverpool to leap frog us and West Ham at some point. 

Your next three league games.. 

Man United

Liverpool 

Everton

I think you are being pretty negative, obviously I've got to back United but you're the home side in this fixture and you have the pleasure of possibly extending Liverpool's home record to a fifth defeat and Everton are so inconsistent I think you will beat them. 

14 minutes ago, Devil said:

Your next three league games.. 

Man United

Liverpool 

Everton

I think you are being pretty negative, obviously I've got to back United but you're the home side in this fixture and you have the pleasure of possibly extending Liverpool's home record to a fifth defeat and Everton are so inconsistent I think you will beat them. 

No, I'm being realistic. Our attack has looked completely unaligned with the rest of the team. The decision making in the final third has been appalling, and when we are being spearheaded by Mason Mount, a player who has virtually no end product to begin with, says a lot about our current situation. Mount isn't even an attacking midfielder. 

Unless Tuchel tweaks his tactics, I can't see a victory in either of those games when we are failing to create chances against bottom half clubs. Also not helping Ziyech, Havertz, and Pulisic have been gash. 

Edited by Cicero

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No, I'm being realistic. Our attack has looked completely unaligned with the rest of the team. The decision making in the final third has been appalling, and when we are being spearheaded by Mason Mount, a player who has virtually no end product to begin with, says a lot about our current situation. Mount isn't even an attacking midfielder. 

Unless Tuchel tweaks his tactics, I can't see a victory in either of those games when we are failing to create chances against bottom half clubs. Also not helping Ziyech, Havertz, and Pulisic have been gash. 

Forgot about Ziyech...

Another Ajax overrated player, honestly has any player they've sold gone on to have success out of that side. 

You can add Timo Werner to that list, overrated beyond belief that lad.