• Claude (GTA III)
    • Tommy Vercetti (GTA Vice City)
    • Carl "CJ" Johnson (GTA San Andreas)
    • Niko Belic (GTA IV)
    • Michael De Santa (GTA V)
    • Franklin Clinton (GTA V)
    • Trevor Phillips (GTA V)

Claude is a mute. 
Tommy would be my number 2 pick, funny, smartish and removed enough to be recognizably a criminal, relatabley human.
CJ is my pick, funny, loves his family and friends, admits when he's out of his depth, is charmingly stupid, but cunning. I guess I like him because I'm poor. 
Niko is preachy and boring, hard to empathize with his sermons and crying when I've just massacred 20 gang members for a bag of coke. 

Of the GTA 5 characters they all kind of suck, Trevor is funny tho. 

• Upvote 1

I remember genuinely feeling sorry for Niko, he's a nice guy caught up in a shitty world. The storytelling around him was fantastic. 

Whereas GTA V was an unbelievable game, both Franklin and Michael are a bit 7/10 for me. Trevor was excellent, but only in how crazy he was. He didn't have the depth of Niko (or the likes of John Marston or Arthur Morgan for example).

I'm too young to really remember earlier than that other than CJ (bit cringe looking back) and Tommy (too young to appreciate).

11 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I remember genuinely feeling sorry for Niko, he's a nice guy caught up in a shitty world. The storytelling around him was fantastic. 

Whereas GTA V was an unbelievable game, both Franklin and Michael are a bit 7/10 for me. Trevor was excellent, but only in how crazy he was. He didn't have the depth of Niko (or the likes of John Marston or Arthur Morgan for example).

I'm too young to really remember earlier than that other than CJ (bit cringe looking back) and Tommy (too young to appreciate).

He's a psychopath, people smuggler, cop killer cold blooded murderer. That's if you never did a single thing wrong and only played the missions and killed who you need to. 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

He's a psychopath, people smuggler, cop killer cold blooded murderer. That's if you never did a single thing wrong and only played the missions and killed who you need to. 

He goes bowling though so swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Subscriber

Voted for Trevor Phillips because he's an absolutely mad cunt. Niko Bellic winning it though and I'd say that's totally fair - he was probably my next best. Never quite got the stick GTA IV got, I thought it was good, spin-offs were steady as well.

7 minutes ago, Dan said:

Voted for Trevor Phillips because he's an absolutely mad cunt. Niko Bellic winning it though and I'd say that's totally fair - he was probably my next best. Never quite got the stick GTA IV got, I thought it was good, spin-offs were steady as well.

For me at the time, I just didn't find it that fun in all honesty (hence the 'driving while pissed' and 'ramming into petrol stations' comment I mentioned previously).

I just felt the main and side missions were very samey (shoot this guy, blow this up etc with no stupid moments) and everything was too 'serious' as such (no real funny or humourous moments compared to others in the series), while I don't remember Belic being that memorable as a character either.

I know you can argue that 'the others are the same' in terms of seriousness, but there have been humourous moments in the other games, whereas this one just felt that there was none. I admit that I haven't played the DLC duo and heard they were good.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

For me at the time, I just didn't find it that fun in all honesty (hence the 'driving while pissed' and 'ramming into petrol stations' comment I mentioned previously).

I just felt the main and side missions were very samey (shoot this guy, blow this up etc with no stupid moments) and everything was too 'serious' as such (no real funny or humourous moments compared to others in the series), while I don't remember Belic being that memorable as a character either.

I know you can argue that 'the others are the same' in terms of seriousness, but there have been humourous moments in the other games, whereas this one just felt that there was none. I admit that I haven't played the DLC duo and heard they were good.

And then the flip side is I wasn't massively clued up on anything before San Andreas either so I've not really seen them all. I'd agree it isn't at the level of something like SA but I still found it pretty enjoyable, probably a lot of it is circumstance though, had some hilarious games of it online.

Probably CJ, felt like had one of the more relatable lives even if you lived the complete opposite of what he did.

Not related to protagonists but Vice City was great, driving around, listening to 80s bangers and also Lazlow. What a life

I chose Trevor not just for his entertaining side. He has anger and the other characters portray him as an major issue in GTA. But why does he have so much anger in him? Surely Michael has to take some blame for this? Trevor is loyal as anything and it shown in the opening of the game. When the bank job goes tits up Trevor says to Michael. I'm not leaving you Mikey. 100% a guy who would put his life on the line for you unless Michael.