• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 17 - 15-17th December, 2023

football forum

• Administrator

1200px-Premier_League_Logo.svg.png

all kick-offs 15.00 (GMT)

Friday 15th December, 2023
Nottm Forest vs Tottenham, 20.00 (live on Sky)

Saturday 16th December, 2023
Bournemouth vs Luton
Chelsea vs Sheff Utd
Man City vs Crystal Palace
Newcastle vs Fulham

Burnley vs Everton, 17.30 (live on Sky)

Sunday 17th December, 2023
Arsenal vs Brighton, 14.00
Brentford vs Aston Villa, 14.00
West Ham vs Wolves, 14.00 (live on Sky)

Liverpool vs Man Utd, 16.30 (live on Sky)

image.png

• Subscriber

I think people will be expecting us to win at Burnley but Branthwaite and Gueye are suspended for 5 yellows and Coleman, Young and Keane are all doubts. I'd happily see Patterson in at right back but the centre back situation could be tricky with Keane and Godfrey having such a lack of minutes this season.

Villa at home - played 8, won 8

Villa away - played 8, won 3, drawn 2, lost 3

The Villa away from seems the questionable thing to most. For Top 4 as much as anything else.

But the away does already include Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea & Spurs. Who at some stage will have to try & show Man City & Arsenal how it's done at Villa Park.

Brentford I think will either galvanize the idea that the Villa away form will mess it all up. Or start to disprove that idea.

Edited by Reluctant Striker

6 hours ago, Rick said:

We should be hammering them, but I think it’ll be closer than we think. I’m going for 2-1 or 2-0. With their squad as depleted as it is, it would be a let down not to give them another hiding, but any win will do. 

With so many in the media hyping up the idea of United getting spanked, I think they'll be quite motivated to shut some pundits up tbh. The last time we played too, they were humbled. I think it's rare to see a side go up against a club that shamed them the last time around and they play anywhere near as bad. That 7-0 match was also fairly close until United lost their heads in the second half, it was a close 1-0 at halftime.

It's not like form really matters much in this fixture. There were so many seasons when I was growing up where United were the best team in the country, or one of the best team in the country, and we'd be bog standard and then all of a sudden we'd pull out a great result against United. The last time we played them, they were in incredible form and we were floundering and we demolished them.

You never know what to expect in this one. On paper and on form, we should probably be winning this... but that's not really how it works.

• Subscriber

What is it with this Spurs team and throwing in a ridiculous red card every few games? Two stupid ones against Chelsea, Bissouma getting a second yellow for diving, another one here when they're 2-0 up and they were lucky Romero didn't walk at the weekend when they were cruising against Newcastle.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Watching a few minutes of this second half and I have to ask, how are Spurs only two goals up in this game?

Forest haven't been much better. Vicario rarely tested, if at all. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

With so many in the media hyping up the idea of United getting spanked, I think they'll be quite motivated to shut some pundits up tbh. The last time we played too, they were humbled. I think it's rare to see a side go up against a club that shamed them the last time around and they play anywhere near as bad. That 7-0 match was also fairly close until United lost their heads in the second half, it was a close 1-0 at halftime.

It's not like form really matters much in this fixture. There were so many seasons when I was growing up where United were the best team in the country, or one of the best team in the country, and we'd be bog standard and then all of a sudden we'd pull out a great result against United. The last time we played them, they were in incredible form and we were floundering and we demolished them.

You never know what to expect in this one. On paper and on form, we should probably be winning this... but that's not really how it works.

Not sure I agree with much of this. Form does matter. It was extremely rare Liverpool went to Old Trafford and got anything when United were good. I remember Houllier saying something like 'we'll win there one day' after a couple of close ones and everyone was behind the manager. That's not the case with them. The only time I can remember an out of form Liverpool team going there and getting something is 03/04 (Murphy penalty). Turn up and get an early goal, we'll twat them

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Not sure I agree with much of this. Form does matter. It was extremely rare Liverpool went to Old Trafford and got anything when United were good. I remember Houllier saying something like 'we'll win there one day' after a couple of close ones and everyone was behind the manager. That's not the case with them. The only time I can remember an out of form Liverpool team going there and getting something is 03/04 (Murphy penalty). Turn up and get an early goal, we'll twat them

This. I really doubt any amount of talk in the media about them getting battered is going to make them show up at Anfield of all places. I don't think it will be 7-0 but you get an early goal and shatter their already weak confidence and we will overrun them. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Read he collapsed on the pitch off ball similar to the play off final. :(

I heard that too but Sherwood said it was a head collision.

Perhaps knock-on effect off concussion but even more serious given what happened at that play-off game :(.