talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jürgen Klopp to leave at end of season

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Liverpool won't be so naive. Gerrard isn't good enough to follow Klopp. 

To be fair, whoever takes over will have a mammoth of a job to take. And I agree, they aren't naive. This is my strong suit in football, and you are 100% right. Going for Gerrard would be a naive move, but he's on the list I guarantee it. If they stall the appointment enough and they lose sight of all their options, he'll be hired. This happens a lot.

They have plenty of time, so Klopp has done well by announcing it early for a club he clearly loves, and even smarter if Liverpool knew earlier which is 100% the case.

Edited by Goku de la Boca

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

To be fair, whoever takes over will have a mammoth of a job to take. And I agree, they aren't naive. This is my strong suit in football, and you are 100% right. Going for Gerrard would be a naive move, but he's on the list I guarantee it. If they stall the appointment enough and they lose sight of all their options, he'll be hired. This happens a lot.

They have plenty of time, so Klopp has done well by announcing it early for a club he clearly loves, and even smarter if Liverpool knew earlier which is 100% the case.

Gerrard isn't going there. 

He's not good enough as a manager and I very much doubt he's even a reliable option for them. The only link is that he was a Liverpool legend on the field. 

Liverpool manager with their stature is the hot ticket for summer now. There'll be plenty of options and they have huge pulling power given the finances, facilities, top class players, assets etc. 

Why do you make things about you every time? 'this is my strong suit in football'. Stop it. You just said 'I am not an expert in how Liverpool operate' xD. Which is it? 

None of us are on here apart from the likes of @Mel81x @LFCMike @Rick @Dr. Gonzo

Just now, Stan said:

He's not good enough as a manager and I very much doubt he's even a reliable option for them. The only link is that he was a Liverpool legend on the field. 

Liverpool manager with their stature is the hot ticket for summer now. There'll be plenty of options and they have huge pulling power given the finances, facilities, top class players, assets etc. 

Why do you make things about you every time? 'this is my strong suit in football'. Stop it. You just said 'I am not an expert in how Liverpool operate' xD. Which is it? 

None of us are on here apart from the likes of @LFCMike @Rick @Dr. Gonzo

I am not an expert on how Liverpool operate but recruitment is my strong suit. I am not a know it all just because I'm in this, I have strong fields and weak fields, but when it comes to recruitment I know how databases are managed. Gerrard is on the list, but I THINK that he's on low priority. A lot of things can happen in negotiations. The new managers could not accept because they think it's an impossible job to follow Klopp, they can disagree on wages, or simply they could stall the negotiations to focus on other endeavours at least until it's necessary.

Gerrard is on the list and I agree he's not good enough but that connection very much exists, I am confident in saying that given he's a club idol/legend and now has some experience in the managerial game.

2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I am not an expert on how Liverpool operate but recruitment is my strong suit. I am not a know it all just because I'm in this, I have strong fields and weak fields, but when it comes to recruitment I know how databases are managed. Gerrard is on the list, but I THINK that he's on low priority. A lot of things can happen in negotiations. The new managers could not accept because they think it's an impossible job to follow Klopp, they can disagree on wages, or simply they could stall the negotiations to focus on other endeavours at least until it's necessary.

Gerrard is on the list and I agree he's not good enough but that connection very much exists, I am confident in saying that given he's a club idol/legend and now has some experience in the managerial game.

There’s no fucking way Gerrard is on the list lol. Flopped at Villa & now flopping in the Saudi Super League One.

He’ll be lucky if he ever gets a top flight job in a serious league again.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

There’s no fucking way Gerrard is on the list lol. Flopped at Villa & now flopping in the Saudi Super League One.

He’ll be lucky if he ever gets a top flight job in a serious league again.

He is an emergency option if I were to guess, but the sort of connection he has with Liverpool can't go unnoted.

You'd be surprised at the power former footballers have in this, especially those with managerial experience. Also, the managerial list is probably massive like most serious clubs. He's on there somewhere, what matters is if he gets into 2nd or 3rd phase which I believe is unlikely, but him being there, I'm very sure he is.

The list isn't 4 or 5 managers. They make a huge list and choose a couple candidates that they deem realistic, also trusty agents have a part as well so they don't come out with nothing.

Just now, LFCMike said:

I guarantee Gerrard won't even be under consideration 

That is what I am saying, if all the options fail he'll be an emergency option.

All I said was he's on the list, but in football things can happen that switch plans around. It's very, very unlikely. Don't rule it out entirely. Like I said, databases are massive and have several phases. The only reason I can see Gerrard being considered at all is if their agents fail them which at this level of football I don't see happening.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

None of us are on here apart from the likes of @Mel81x @LFCMike @Rick @Dr. Gonzo

Exactly this. Liverpool will have the pick of almost any elite manager not currently in work and pretty much any manager in the tier below that, whether they're in work or not. A manager who was sacked by Aston Villa not long ago and is now struggling in Saudi won't be under consideration at all

3 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

That is what I am saying, if all the options fail he'll be an emergency option.

All I said was he's on the list, but in football things can happen that switch plans around. It's very, very unlikely. Don't rule it out entirely. Like I said, databases are massive and have several phases. The only reason I can see Gerrard being considered at all is if their agents fail them which at this level of football I don't see happening.

He won't be on the list. Liverpool are in a very good place squad wise and in terms of the foundations already in place for a new manager coming in. They have their pick of plenty of top managers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Exactly this. Liverpool will have the pick of almost any elite manager not currently in work and pretty much any manager in the tier below that, whether they're in work or not. A manager who was sacked by Aston Villa not long ago and is now struggling in Saudi won't be under consideration at all

I don't think it's that simple to be honest, Gerrard won't be hired I'm pretty sure of that, but I have my doubts they'll get a similar manager as Klopp the first time around, just because there is so much pressure on both ends. The board to follow up the managerial choice and thee manager itself to deliver, and I think SOME high profile managers might not be super interested (not all) just because it's a risky job to take. Regarding what Stan said, he's right on Liverpool having a pull. It would be many managers dream to manage them, but few will be good enough at this stage I think.

I have no clue on Xabi Alonso by the way, he looks like he's doing a good job at Leverkusen but I haven't seen them a single game this season so I can't speak for whether it's a fluke or they are genuinely sound tactically and motivation wise. If it's the latter, he might be realistic.

2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He won't be on the list. Liverpool are in a very good place squad wise and in terms of the foundations already in place for a new manager coming in. They have their pick of plenty of top managers.

He's on the list mate but like I said, he's very very low priority. He's pretty much only going to be on there because he's a connection they have and because the list is huge and doesn't just consist of 10 managers. Like you said they have their pick of plenty of far better managers, but Gerrard is on there because these connections count, whether he gets approached is another story and I don't think he will even be enquired. 

2 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

I don't think it's that simple to be honest, Gerrard won't be hired I'm pretty sure of that, but I have my doubts they'll get a similar manager as Klopp the first time around, just because there is so much pressure on both ends. The board to follow up the managerial choice and thee manager itself to deliver, and I think SOME high profile managers might not be super interested (not all) just because it's a risky job to take. Regarding what Stan said, he's right on Liverpool having a pull. It would be many managers dream to manage them, but few will be good enough at this stage I think.

I have no clue on Xabi Alonso by the way, he looks like he's doing a good job at Leverkusen but I haven't seen them a single game this season so I can't speak for whether it's a fluke or they are genuinely sound tactically and motivation wise. If it's the latter, he might be realistic.

I think it is that simple though. They’re not going to bring in Gerrard now even as an emergency option - I think aside from being not good enough, they respect him too much to bring him in to damage his legend status here.

They’re going to be looking at a long term replacement.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it is that simple though. They’re not going to bring in Gerrard now even as an emergency option - I think aside from being not good enough, they respect him too much to bring him in to damage his legend status here.

They’re going to be looking at a long term replacement.

My point about it not being that simple had nothing to do with Gerrard, rather on the pull. Liverpool have more advantages but the pressure on both sides is quite big.

Klopp is not an easy manager to follow.

3 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

My point about it not being that simple had nothing to do with Gerrard, rather on the pull. Liverpool have more advantages but the pressure on both sides is quite big.

Klopp is not an easy manager to follow.

Yeah but even as a 10th choice backup on the list Rafa or Dalglish are more realistic choices than Gerrard. Realistically none of these 3 are going to be our next manager.

Klopp’s not an easy manager to follow, Liverpool aren’t an easy club to manage. 

9 minutes ago, Goku de la Boca said:

He's on the list mate but like I said, he's very very low priority. He's pretty much only going to be on there because he's a connection they have and because the list is huge and doesn't just consist of 10 managers. Like you said they have their pick of plenty of far better managers, but Gerrard is on there because these connections count, whether he gets approached is another story and I don't think he will even be enquired. 

You've gone from it's inevitable and a big possibility to him being an emergency option in the space of about an hour!

Liverpool aren't in a situation where they'll need to appoint an emergency option, they've got months to sort the next appointment. It would be a different situation if Klopp had announced after the last game of the season he was leaving and it was more difficult to sound out other managers who were already planning for next season.

There will be some managers who think it might be difficult to follow a figure like Klopp but there will be plenty who have the self belief that they could go in there and continue his work and even be better. I'm not saying that's possible at this stage but just looking at how plenty of top managers will be thinking.

I disagree with the earlier comparisons to the Pellegrini situation at Man City. Pellegrini was practically a corpse and that experiment had ran its course. Jurgen Klopp is the type of infectious character that players are willing to run the extra yard for. They'll find extra motivation in wanting to win for him now and give him the send off they think he deserves.