talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Serbia 0-1 England - Sunday 16th June, 2024

I agree with those saying TAA needs to be replaced in that midfield position for the next match. We need to play Gallagher or Mainoo or even Wharton there. Maybe we should even start Palmer over Foden, seeing as Foden rarely shows his peak performances for England. 

11 hours ago, Stan said:

Bellingham, Saka and Guehi were class. 

@The Palace Fan definitely creaming his pants right now...

Southgate won't get credit for it but putting Guehi on the front post for corners was a real shrewd move.

10 hours ago, Rick said:

Business as usual then. If we struggle like this against Serbia, how is anybody expecting us to do anything in the last 16, nevermind any further. 

Admittedly didn't watch the match, but from what I saw of the match stats and from what mates were saying, it seemed like a typical England performance under Southgate.

Got the goal, kept the clean sheet, and were solid if unremarkable.

25 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Admittedly didn't watch the match, but from what I saw of the match stats and from what mates were saying, it seemed like a typical England performance under Southgate.

Got the goal, kept the clean sheet, and were solid if unremarkable.

Pretty much, though I think that they were less than solid in the second half. A better team would have beaten us. 

One of the biggest things we've always seem to have done, is play what you'd call the 11 best players we can and then shoe horn them into positions. Looks great on paper but then doesn't translate onto the pitch.

Look what we did with Paul Scholes for years. Same for when we tried playing Lampard/Gerrard together.

Obviously we have very little choice at LB right now but that is hurting us not having a natural left footer there.

Trent did ok first half when we had the ball, but feel we lacked the energy and protection needed second half when we didn't have it from him. Still feel you need a natural in there like Mainoo, Wharton, Gallagher etc.

Foden I feel sorry for because he's obviously better in the centre. But Fabregas was bang on when he shot Micah Richards down last night on BBC. Jude carries big game personality, and last night showed exactly why it would have been an insult to him to have pushed him back with Rice when he was running the game for us First Half. That's the level he is at now and we can't sacrifice that. Not sure Foden quite has that yet. Tremendous player, but the mentality level perhaps isnt there in an England shirt yet.

There was no outball 2nd half and even if you managed to punt it down the wing just to get out, you'd have Anthony Gordon tearing after it If he was in that front three so I get the arguement to have him in. Food for thought that one. 

It's so easy to get excited when you have so many star names but equally, you can get blindsided for the overall efficiency of the team. Never been a Southgate fan but I think it's difficult to get the recipe right when you have so many tempting names to pick from, but that's what seperates the great coaches. 

• Subscriber

I feel like if Serbia had got one back earlier in the second half then Southgate would have been forced to undo his thinking a little but luckily for him, they didn't.

He's going to have to go back to the drawing board and think a bit more on this as the next two matches come up. I can't see England not getting out of this group, but I do feel like they need to be tactically a bit better at ball control when they're up vs allowing the other team to have it and roam as they wish. It might work in this group but against a more adept side they'll get scored on with the kind of pressure Serbia was pushing onto them. 

• Subscriber

Our imbalance is going to be the undoing I think. You're hinging so much on Shaw's fitness - do you want to play a natural left back or not? If so, then call up somebody like Mitchell to be deputy. To 'still' be shoehorning Trippier there is ridiculous.

It has gone a bit naughties era for England where we have loads of talent yet so many in similar positions, but there are clear gaps in the side. Serbia won't punish you for it, Denmark probably won't, Slovenia probably won't (though I really enjoyed their performance and I weirdly think they might come 2nd) but I think anybody from the expected top 6 or so will.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Dan said:

Our imbalance is going to be the undoing I think. You're hinging so much on Shaw's fitness - do you want to play a natural left back or not? If so, then call up somebody like Mitchell to be deputy. To 'still' be shoehorning Trippier there is ridiculous.

It has gone a bit naughties era for England where we have loads of talent yet so many in similar positions, but there are clear gaps in the side. Serbia won't punish you for it, Denmark probably won't, Slovenia probably won't (though I really enjoyed their performance and I weirdly think they might come 2nd) but I think anybody from the expected top 6 or so will.

I agree with this. The imbalance in the squad also left us with Kane, Foden, and Bellingham all occupying the same space. That with a right footed left back meant we didn’t have a lot of width - just really leaving Saka as our main wide outlet. Kind of negates the strengths of playing Trent in the centre in the first place lol, no real width so no real stretching the play & not many runs in behind with that starting lineup and the way we were set up.

If we don’t change tactics I think we’re just going to see more of the same

• The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber
11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I agree with this. The imbalance in the squad also left us with Kane, Foden, and Bellingham all occupying the same space. That with a right footed left back meant we didn’t have a lot of width - just really leaving Saka as our main wide outlet. Kind of negates the strengths of playing Trent in the centre in the first place lol, no real width so no real stretching the play & not many runs in behind with that starting lineup and the way we were set up.

If we don’t change tactics I think we’re just going to see more of the same

I think it's the main reason we aren't going to win the tournament. He's made on the face of it brave decisions, but I think we've been left quite imbalanced and that can be a real killer in tournaments - probably the thing that hurts the most big hitters historically.

England v Serbia quite comfortably the worst game of the first round as well.