talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(R16) England (aet)2-1 Slovakia - Sunday 30th June, 2024

football forums

6 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Slovakia were fading fast,  I don't think this is enough to obscure another abject performance and you have to play extra time for it.  When a decent team comes along it may get a bit dicey. 

Slovakia are a decent team. We aren't as good as we think we are. We were the favourites, but we've not played like the favourites. There are better teams than us in this competition performance wise. Ask @Tommy.

• Subscriber

I'm an England fan, in theory, albeit an uncaring one. But I'm almost actively annoyed that they look set to get through this now because the performance of this manager and most of the senior players at this tournament would have fully deserved to get dumped out by Slovakia in the first knockout round xD.

You have to feel sorry for the Slovakia team, they did themselves proud. But England's quality, a world class goal by Bellingham changed the tide in this game. Kane will be happy with his goal as well. 

Rice losing his temper at the end there.

• Subscriber

Southgate is genuinely just a luckier version of Frank Lampard. It's mad to say that about an England manager who has reached a World Cup semi final and a Euro Final but I'll stand by it. Comes into an unhappy dressing room, instantly raises the floor because he's seen by the players as a decent lad who gets them. But he can't coach and doesn't understand tactics so after an initial boost the team gets stagnant and starts to decline. It just happens more slowly with an international team because the games are so spread out.

England might be through but the management and execution of this tournament has been as poor and uninspiring in my opinion as any of the efforts served up by Hodgson, Capello, etc.