talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gareth Southgate Leaving England

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Read these two posts @Michael.

Tell me who mentions age first. 

I never denied that I mentioned age first. Read my last post. I point out that you were going to mention his age anyway, because your main reason for perhaps dropping him for the next Euros was age related.

Walker has been consistent for years now. Saying that, if we're talking about Euro 2024 alone then he's been very average. The first 3 games we was all over the show and in the final you can point towards him for both goals. His form in the Euros has been a continuation of his performance in the FA Cup final which again was below the high standards he sets himself. Maybe father time is catching up with him, plus the extra women might be wearing him out. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Michael said:

I never denied that I mentioned age first. Read my last post. I point out that you were going to mention his age anyway, because your main reason for perhaps dropping him for the next Euros was age related.

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

Are you a mind-reader now, a psychic?

xD

Basically, to paraphrase where I stand.

- Walker is good, but he didn't have the best of tournaments. I implied a new manager may see fit to try someone else there. 
- Despite his age, he may still perform, but there may be better options by the time WC2026 comes around. Without knowing who the manager is neither you or I can say for certain that he'll still be picked or not.
- I don't think he had that good a tournament as you think he did, even though UEFA chose to include him in their team of the tournament. It's okay to disagree with them or for you and I to disagree. I notice you go ultra-defensive whenever someone has a different viewpoint to you.
- As for the next Euros, who knows. 4 years to go is a long time. 

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

xD

Basically, to paraphrase where I stand.

- Walker is good, but he didn't have the best of tournaments. I implied a new manager may see fit to try someone else there. 
- Despite his age, he may still perform, but there may be better options by the time WC2026 comes around. Without knowing who the manager is neither you or I can say for certain that he'll still be picked or not.
- I don't think he had that good a tournament as you think he did, even though UEFA chose to include him in their team of the tournament. It's okay to disagree with them or for you and I to disagree. I notice you go ultra-defensive whenever someone has a different viewpoint to you.
- As for the next Euros, who knows. 4 years to go is a long time. 

Lol, all the reasons you initially gave as to why he might not play at the next World Cup were age related. I am not the one mind reading, you were no doubt going to mention his age as the main reason for potentially dropping him for the next World Cup. I just put 2 and 2 together.

I will tell you were I stand, if it has not already been made clear.

- Walker has been excellent for England and at club level in recent years, regularly giving top notch performances and being recognised by his performances in the media. Of course a new manager may or may not see fit to try someone else in his position. 

- I said if he keeps up his current performances, remains the best in his position and if his performances don't take a dip, then he should start for England at the next major competition that England compete in. Which is most likely going to be the World Cup. I never suggested that the next manager would share my opinion, I just gave my own opinion.

- I think he had a very good tournament and that he was really solid at right-back. He was one of the main reasons we conceded so few goals during the Euros. UEFA seem to share my opinion and yeah, it's okay for you or I to agree or disagree. I don't go ultra-defensive at all. I just happen to strongly disagree with you regarding this matter and that's fine, you are of course entitled to your opinion, it's just football. 

- I agree with you on this point, 4 years is a very long time in football.

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Who is ? Candidate for England job?

I'd like carsley personally. I don't think any of the English candidates have amazing credentials. He's won the u21 euros he'd be my first choice. There is a lot of risk with him but there is with all the potential managers.

2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

I'd like carsley personally. I don't think any of the English candidates have amazing credentials. He's won the u21 euros he'd be my first choice. There is a lot of risk with him but there is with all the potential managers.

Big Sam.

11 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think i'd take Kane to tournaments even if he had 1 leg. Not to start mind, but if you are awarded a pen from the 70th minute, or in case of a shootout, break glass and bring him on.

I mean to be fair the last penalty he took with more than 70 minutes gone is on the star ship enterprise 

• Haha 1

For me, the candidate should be someone perceived as both best in class. And some appreciation for England, it's football & social culture & a genuine desire to see it succeed.

I think if it's a not English manager, it should be box office. As in Pep or Klopp. Perhaps Unai. Possibly Mourinho. He's probably the most readily available. Not many options left in club football. One way or another coaches who have ripped up the rulebook.

If it's English it can only really be Howe or maybe, perhaps, at a push, Potter. But if you go Potter, with respect you may aswell be sticking with Southgate or going Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney or even Dean Smith or Sean Dyche. The further down the list you go, the less point in the change there is.

21 hours ago, 6666 said:

Eddie Howe, Graham Potter, or Frank Lampard... the English options seem limited.

I wouldn't even put Lamps as a candidate,  he has done sweet nothing.

Gary O'Neill is often overlooked but is credible,  Kieran MacKenna, Michael Carrick would all be above Lamps or StevieG

• Subscriber

I'm not somebody who thinks it has to be somebody English at all costs but I do think if it's a foreign manager it needs to be one fairly well connected to the country, has managed here a while etc... this would qualify Klopp, Mourinho but probably discount say Allegri.

If it was up to me I'd have it so that the manager has to have the same eligibility as the players. I've never understood why that isn't the rule.

On 17/07/2024 at 15:36, Cicero said:

Tuchel surely the best option?

I'm not sure how keen people are on a foreign manager .

Personally I would prefer an English manager. 

Although in terms of credentials he clearly has more than any English coach. I don't know a lot about him. But I have heard he can be quite difficult. If we didn't have a good world cup and the media and fans turned on him I'm not sure how well he would deal with it. 

I think if we go for a foreigner we should go for klopp or pep. Despite there still anti German sentiment in English football I think klopp is someone who people would like.