football forums

Is there too much sport on the TV   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Too much sport on TV?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would rather watch paint dry

• Subscriber

Genuine question is there too much sport on TV, when I say TV I am not talking about the likes of pay as you watch, Sky, BT, YouTube, etc but the likes of the TV Licence channels, BBC (1,2, etc) or ITV, C5, C4 and the others.

I know of a lot of people who were getting pissed off waiting for a certain weekly show to appear but it was knocked off because a Wimbledon game was longer than anticipated or a football match going into extra time or penalty shootouts knocked a scheduled program off.

I can remember when the government allowed other channels to start up which would help out being able to keep top-drawer shows on the main channel and play the likes of a sports game on the different sub channels.

It doesn't bother me really unless it's a certain Rugby game that gets kicked off in place of something else, the wife was doing her nut the other night as she switched over to watch Eastenders and they had shifted it to BBC2 at an earlier time and she had to look for it on catch up TV. 

• The title was changed to Is there too much sport on TV?
  • Subscriber

Considering it's all I really watch anymore I'm fine with a lot of sport on TV.  All the other shows I've enjoyed watching over the years are in syndication so I can see them anytime I want.  I don't make/have time for new shows so I don't bother.

• Administrator

Probably, but I'm not complaining.

Heavily invest my time into sport away from work/baby life. It's a welcome distraction. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I feel the opposite. Could do with more sport on TV and less other shite.

Feel the same but they'll keep showing United games.

• Haha 2

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@CaaC (John) has your wife blamed you for eastenders being on bbc2 and kicked you on the balls again? 

The wife just has to trip over a lump of paper and then blame me  xD

Can't say she has blamed me, though, she knows I can't stand EastEnders and the only soap I will watch is Emmerdale Farm.

On free to air tv here? Absolutely hardly any sport on that isn’t AFL. So I’d say there’s not enough on. Almost anything else you’d need a paid subscription to many of the different options to get other sports. 

Definitely is. As much as I’m a football fan, I do feel as though we are at that point of the David Mitchell “never ending Football” sketch, because it’s on so much and on pretty much every day and that’s increasing in a couple of weeks’ time when this new Football League deal kicks-off and we have Friday night entertainment of Harrogate Town vs Cheltenham Town to look forward to. 

I’m about to go off on a tangent but it’s making football harder to attend in person as well, with so many games moved and changed for the TV audience. It’s getting to the stage of being comparable to booking a weekend away. I think it’s why I’ll probably watch more non-league football this season because I can leave home at 2.00pm on a Saturday and theoretically pick a game at any one of probably 40 clubs, maybe more, that are within a 45-50 minute drive and just walk up, pay my money and go in. I won’t need to check if a game is a 12.30ko on a Sunday or if the game I fancy going to is at threat of being moved by Sky with a few weeks notice. 

I actually probably watch less and less live football on tele each season, so while there is more on, it’s not exactly going to effect my watching habits.