• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

WestWorld

Recommended Posts

My fucking God I loved WestWorld. The book and film from 1973 by Michael Crichton this is based of, is so much different. Morality and the sense of existential cognitive dissonance within the 'hosts' - Delores in particular portrayal by Evan Rachel Wood of whom I could gush hyperbole of for hours - made this series dark and richly rewarding. It kept you guessing right to the end and whilst some twists were more sign-posted than others it didn't disappoint and its hardly surprising when noting Jonathan Nolan's involvement. 

Incredibly it seems they've signed up the creative to a 6 season deal or thereabouts which leaves me to question how they could top the previous season, let alone where they could find the creative direction to make it work. Unless of course they take the premise of the Walking Dead and invert it so to speak. If you've not seen the first series I don't want to elaborate on that without spoiling the first series. 

westworld-overlay-a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jonathan Nolan said that he and Lisa Joy have a 5 season plan for the show with some sort of clear end in mind so I'm hopeful it won't go the same way as say, Heroes. I just hope that fan interest stays high enough for HBO to fund all five seasons but it seems to have been a big hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first season was brilliant and the fact that they have several more seasons already planned out fills me with confidence that the quality will remain. I'm usually against film sequels because they make them just for the sake of it, to make more money. It's good to see they have a long term plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Tits and violence always does well.

Agreed as soon as they moved the goal franchise Madrid from Newcastle it went downhill 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Agreed as soon as they moved the goal franchise Madrid from Newcastle it went downhill 

Even Hollywood couldn't make Newcastle win something 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 2 trailer was just released and it looks fantastic!

Still have to wait until 2018 though... I love the show, easily the best thing on TV in recent years for me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nudge said:

Season 2 trailer was just released and it looks fantastic!

Still have to wait until 2018 though... I love the show, easily the best thing on TV in recent years for me.

I'm fascinated to see what direction they take the series in, the trailer doesn't imply they've filled the void left by Hopkins with another character which I'm a little surprised about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Batard said:

I'm fascinated to see what direction they take the series in, the trailer doesn't imply they've filled the void left by Hopkins with another character which I'm a little surprised about.

To be fair, they just started shooting for Season 2, so the trailer most likely features solely some of the scenes from the first episode or two - therefore, we're only seeing the aftermath of the season 1 finale and nothing more that would indicate how the show develops. There are a few new names already that have been officially confirmed as Season 2 additions (nothing major), but according to the producers, we still might see a bit of Anthony Hopkins, at least in a form of flashbacks, it depends on his availability and willingness... I also think that bringing him back would make Season 1 and especially the final episode way less meaningful. 

At any case, I don't really think there's any need to fill the void with another character. I personally think that the show will now focus on the "hosts", particularly on Dolores/Wyatt and Maeve (I think those two are the only one that are fully sentient and exercise free will now), with them becoming each other's counterpart, and on the whole chaos breaking out. Also, Peter Abernathy (Dolores' father) is apparently supposed to be a regular in season 2 as well, I thought he was brilliant and he sort of started the whole awakening, so I can't wait to see him back. Elsie is also most likely alive. The Man in Black/William is back too. So much to look forward to!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a good enough trailer to get hyped for the new season! Dolores going full savage by the looks of it. Can't wait! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

That is a good enough trailer to get hyped for the new season! Dolores going full savage by the looks of it. Can't wait! 

I think it's Dolores embracing the Wyatt narrative which was merged with her own one by Arnold!

It definitely looks great, I'm currently rewatching Season 1 to pick up on all the details haha. Haven't been so fascinated with a TV show since LOST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nudge ah yes, the flashbacks, I forgot about that. In which case, I'm very hopeful of seeing more Hopkins. His performance was simply chilling, at times, he was like a spirit of icy malevolence with his detached behavior. The series needs that ruthlessness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2017 at 6:57 AM, nudge said:

Season 2 trailer was just released and it looks fantastic!

Still have to wait until 2018 though... I love the show, easily the best thing on TV in recent years for me.

This cant come soon enough i havent been as excited for the new GOT, WW was just better compared to the recent seasons. My only worry is that they cant possible match up to season 1, and part of that is what Batard mentions about Hopkins. Flash backs would be an intriguing option but well see. 

Also i watched episode 2 of The Son on the weekend, i have some more free time to get back to this and finish her off :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Batard said:

@nudge ah yes, the flashbacks, I forgot about that. In which case, I'm very hopeful of seeing more Hopkins. His performance was simply chilling, at times, he was like a spirit of icy malevolence with his detached behavior. The series needs that ruthlessness.

 

19 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

This cant come soon enough i havent been as excited for the new GOT, WW was just better compared to the recent seasons. My only worry is that they cant possible match up to season 1, and part of that is what Batard mentions about Hopkins. Flash backs would be an intriguing option but well see. 

Also i watched episode 2 of The Son on the weekend, i have some more free time to get back to this and finish her off :) 

 

I will definitely miss Hopkins' if he's not coming back in any form; his monologues about human nature in particular. I get what both of you are saying about the show potentially having troubles living up to Season 1, but I personally don't think it's going to be an issue - whether with Hopkins or not, it will be a sort of a legacy of him and his ideas, just very different to Season 1 which I see more as a prequel to

the upcoming revolution of the machines against humans

and the consequences of

machines gaining free will but not knowing what to do with it

. I also don't know if I should put it in spoiler tags.

And @Viva la FCB, do continue with The Son! Season 1 is now over, and it seriously got better and better with each episode...

On a negative side, I don't have anything new to watch now (not a big fan of GoT).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, if anyone wants a bit of Westworld fun before the new season arrives, there's an official website which is intended as alternate-reality-game where you can try various things to find some answers, hints and more of a backstory: https://discoverwestworld.com/?forceus

Yes, I'm a massive nerd :ph34r:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched this this week. Top series and written brilliantly, loads of good performances as well cast wise.

Ramin Djawadi who also does the soundtrack for Game of Thrones put a beautiful one together for this too.

Looking forward to Season 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Just watched this this week. Top series and written brilliantly, loads of good performances as well cast wise.

Ramin Djawadi who also does the soundtrack for Game of Thrones put a beautiful one together for this too.

Looking forward to Season 2.

Though, the sountrack for WW is all covers really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Though, the sountrack for WW is all covers really.

Not really. Most of it is original soundtracks, just some pieces are well done covers which I loved. 

 

This was my favourite! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tsubasa said:

Not really. Most of it is original soundtracks, just some pieces are well done covers which I loved. 

 

This was my favourite! 

 

Bingo, have been listening to that on Spotify once or twice :D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wtf just saw that Ramin Djawadi is German. We gave the world Hans Zimmer and Ramin Djawadi. If that doesn't make up for two world wars, I don't know what does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You also gave us that toe rag Vettel so youre still 2-3 down. B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

wtf just saw that Ramin Djawadi is German. We gave the world Hans Zimmer and Ramin Djawadi. If that doesn't make up for two world wars, I don't know what does. 

Dresden should have happened to all German clay

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2017 at 5:43 AM, Cannabis said:

Saw this thread and shit myself, thought WeirdWorld was back.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Filming for Season 2 is completed! We can expect it to be aired some time around March-April :D  

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, nudge said:

Filming for Season 2 is completed! We can expect it to be aired some time around March-April :D  

Can’t wait. Season 1was immense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Batard said:

Can’t wait. Season 1was immense 

Indeed it was. I already re-watched it, it's amazing how many details and hidden easter eggs are there that I didn't even notice before. Reminds me of LOST a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's gone quite quickly. When it finished in 2016 and we were told we had to wait until 2018 for the next season it sounded like an eternity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

That's gone quite quickly. When it finished in 2016 and we were told we had to wait until 2018 for the next season it sounded like an eternity.

Yea man, time flies. Kind of depressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the boxset. Couldn't stop watching it.  Loved it. And Anthony Hopkins was fantastic. Very complicated so will probably watch it again. Just wondered when the robots were hitting people in the game was that part it of it? Or were they going wrong? They said if you went to the outskirts it got more intense. Different from the film where they couldn't touch you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2018 at 19:03, nudge said:

Filming for Season 2 is completed! We can expect it to be aired some time around March-April :D  

Thats to long :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement