talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rugby Union

football forum

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

The womens rugby world cup starts today. @Stan your the only person who I can think of who has an interest in rugby and womens sports. You watching it at all?

Its in New Zealand but England go in as big favourites from what I have read. Would be pretty amazing to win the womens euros in football and the womens world cup in rugby in one year. 

Probably not. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So its England v new Zealand in the womems world cup final. Was very nearly France though as they missed a last minute penalty which would have won them the game against  New Zealand. England beat canada in the other semi but it was a tight game with 3 tries each. England will be favourites but it could go either way 

8 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Spike @Honey Honey @Toinho @Danny One thing I have never understood is why stand alone test matches are so important in international rugby? Essentially they are friendlies and in football are not taken that seriously but in rugby they are?

Because for rugby the highest standard of the sport is internstional play and is taken much more serisouly than club. It is the opposite for soccerball, club is far more prestigious than international.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Because for rugby the highest standard of the sport is internstional play and is taken much more serisouly than club. It is the opposite for soccerball, club is far more prestigious than international.

Yeah I know international is more important in rugby but why are friendlies so important? 

12 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Yeah I know international is more important in rugby but why are friendlies so important? 

You can't regularly play South Africa, New Zealand and Australia if you're a northern hemisphere side in a competition, the nature of Rugby is similar to Cricket in that regard. So you play test matches instead, friendlies don't really exist.

On 07/11/2022 at 06:25, Gunnersaurus said:

@Spike @Honey Honey @Toinho @Danny One thing I have never understood is why stand alone test matches are so important in international rugby? Essentially they are friendlies and in football are not taken that seriously but in rugby they are?

Not a rugby fan so can’t add anything of value here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

R.I.P. Doddie, a former Scotland great at RU.

Doddie Weir: Former Scotland lock dies at 52 after battle with motor neurone disease

download.png

Former Scotland international Doddie Weir has died at the age of 52, six years after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease.

Weir, capped 61 times between 1990 and 2000, went on to raise millions through his My Name'5 Doddie foundation following his diagnosis in 2016.

The lock was given an OBE in 2019 for services to rugby, to MND research and to the Borders community.

He is survived by his wife Kathy and sons Hamish, Angus and Ben.

"Doddie was an inspirational force of nature," wrote Kathy.

FULL REPORT

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Well that's not surprising you like the English about as much as William Wallace xD

Scotland is a country that needs some love. England has won everything before, so I want and like to see the other UK countries do well, and Ireland too 

Of course when Australia flogs everyone I don’t complain lol

On 09/02/2023 at 18:53, Spike said:

Scotland is a country that needs some love. England has won everything before, so I want and like to see the other UK countries do well, and Ireland too 

Of course when Australia flogs everyone I don’t complain lol

Mate we hardly ever win everything. You should love us as well. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

did not know it was on but what looks like the last competion the springboks will play in the SANZAR ccompetitionunless some dramatic concessions are made The Springboks will join an expanded Nations tournament.

A good 43-12 mauling of the Wallabies always goes down well.

• 1 month later...

rugby world cup time, is it already a case of New Zealand or South Africa.   Will home like conditions help France or Ireland?

South African teams having 2 years of experience in Europe does help and with the soon to e extended Nations tournament to include South Africa, we certainly have a bit of experience in a very different type of Rugby.