• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Just looked at the table for the first time in a long while, when did Leicester get this bad?!

When Shakespeare was appointed. Duh. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Just looked at the table for the first time in a long while, when did Leicester get this bad?!

Last season. We then had a brief spell where we looked very good again and won 6 on the bounce, including wins over Liverpool and Sevilla.

Since then we've been fodder. I think that's 3 wins in about 14 games now.

I'm starting to wonder if it's motivation.

Shakespeare's a dead man walking. That was rubbish again tonight. It's a case of when he gets the boot and not if. What a shame that it's going to end like that.

We're a complete shambles, in a relegation battle AGAIN, despite a big spend AGAIN and will probably end up resorting to an escape artist, seeing ourselves back here in 12 months time. It's been a good ride but it's a bumpy road back to the Championship from here, unless the owners have a long hard look at the structure of this club.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

You all rimmed him when it happened.

I was being facetious but we became this bad when we refuse to change the way we play and think sticking to the same formation with lack of results (figuratively and metaphorically) is going to work. 

Also when we play not to lose especially away from home. Shakespeare's inexperience is showing given that he's still not taking a risk by trying something different. 

We have talented players at the club obviously but there's no identity for the team any more it seems. No character or personality, something that sets the club apart from any other boring club. 

I feel the way about Shakespeare now as I did about Ranieri when he wouldn't change things last season and ultimately it cost him. While he's at the club I'll support him as any fan would want their club and personnel to do well but it wouldn't surprise me if Shakespeare got the proverbial boot. 

I know lots of you would say 'I told you so' and quite frankly couldn't give a shit though. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

I was being facetious but we became this bad when we refuse to change the way we play and think sticking to the same formation with lack of results (figuratively and metaphorically) is going to work. 

Also when we play not to lose especially away from home. Shakespeare's inexperience is showing given that he's still not taking a risk by trying something different. 

We have talented players at the club obviously but there's no identity for the team any more it seems. No character or personality, something that sets the club apart from any other boring club. 

I feel the way about Shakespeare now as I did about Ranieri when he wouldn't change things last season and ultimately it cost him. While he's at the club I'll support him as any fan would want their club and personnel to do well but it wouldn't surprise me if Shakespeare got the proverbial boot. 

I know lots of you would say 'I told you so' and quite frankly couldn't give a shit though. 

I'll openly admit I supported the decision to appoint him. I based that on him having things fall against him late on in the season (shit decisions, injuries, insufficient squad for the job in hand) and thought he made the right noises in the summer. I thought despite being quite an unknown he had genuine ambition.

All I've seen from this season is a man totally devoid of imagination or new ideas and one that's trying to scrape the barrel for positives. Both awful traits which'll see him out a job soon.

A good coach he is. A good manager he is not.

16 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'll openly admit I supported the decision to appoint him. I based that on him having things fall against him late on in the season (shit decisions, injuries, insufficient squad for the job in hand) and thought he made the right noises in the summer. I thought despite being quite an unknown he had genuine ambition.

All I've seen from this season is a man totally devoid of imagination or new ideas and one that's trying to scrape the barrel for positives. Both awful traits which'll see him out a job soon.

A good coach he is. A good manager he is not.

Loads fall into that category of being a good coach but not a good manager. I think Leicester need to get rid of Shakespeare sooner rather than later, maybe not all together but certainly need to demote him.

Who do they appoint though? Not a fucking clue. No one springs to mind that is available. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Loads fall into that category of being a good coach but not a good manager. I think Leicester need to get rid of Shakespeare sooner rather than later, maybe not all together but certainly need to demote him.

Who do they appoint though? Not a fucking clue. No one springs to mind that is available. 

Yep agreed, most classic case was Steve McClaren although that run he went on with Middlesbrough was pretty extraordinary.

I'm struggling to come up with one. Ancelotti and Tuchel are completely unrealistic.

We missed the boat with Marco Silva. He was the man.

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yep agreed, most classic case was Steve McClaren although that run he went on with Middlesbrough was pretty extraordinary.

I'm struggling to come up with one. Ancelotti and Tuchel are completely unrealistic.

We missed the boat with Marco Silva. He was the man.

Aye McClaren done a good job at Boro. There are other examples such as Steve Clarke, Alan Irvine and John Carver who were highly rated coaches but poor managers. 

I agree with that about Marco Silva. Koeman should he leave Everton would be a good appointment too but I can see him turning it around. Can see West Ham needing a new manager soon as well.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Any O'Brien said:

Aye McClaren done a good job at Boro. There are other examples such as Steve Clarke, Alan Irvine and John Carver who were highly rated coaches but poor managers. 

I agree with that about Marco Silva. Koeman should he leave Everton would be a good appointment too but I can see him turning it around. Can see West Ham needing a new manager soon as well.

Wouldn't be remotely surprised if a merry go round left us with Bilic xD

• Subscriber

Koeman should go to Holland, Shakespeare to the Championship and Bilic somewhere other than England.

The managerial merry go round has gotten very stale in recent years. Marco Silva is potentially a good addition to the league but I'm not as convinced as others. Need some other new blood too.

On paper that is Leicester's first poor result of the season to be fair to Shakespeare. Not that on paper really matters.

Obviously if Leicester consider themselves a top half team then they should have converted more of the away games against dross into wins.

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

On paper that is Leicester's first poor result of the season to be fair to Shakespeare. Not that on paper really matters.

Obviously if Leicester consider themselves a top half team then they should have converted more of the away games against dross into wins.

Liverpool have won 1 game in their last 8 in all competitions (and in fairness one of those 8 was a cup loss here), without Mane and Lallana and that of course was against us. That's not good enough. They were there for the taking.

Arsenal were there for the taking. We didn't do too badly that night but we threw them the game.

Bournemouth were there for the taking. A joke on their behalf that we got anything.

Huddersfield were there for the taking, and have only scored 1 goal in 7 games in all comps (against us).

We're dreadful at the minute. Every inch a relegation candidate. It's going the same way it went around January time and this time I'm not convinced we've got anyone who'll bring 6 wins in a row out of the bag to save us.

Putting it simply we're a total shambles and for me could go down.

8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

8 games in. As Steve McClaren said, judge me after 10 games, no, better make that 20, please, stop judging me, give me 38 games

Each case needs to be taken on it's merits though. McClaren, who had been recently sacked from a Championship club, started off bad and was getting worse. I still am yet to see a team worse than the one he had that got thrashed here two years ago. Koeman has a track record of finishing in the top half of The Premier League consistently and Shakespeare instigated a turnaround in form for Leicester last season which took them away from possible relegation. Given the crap cards they've been dealt with from the transfer window putting all the blame on them in October with their previous records seems somewhat unjust and unfair.

• Subscriber
56 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Each case needs to be taken on it's merits though. McClaren, who had been recently sacked from a Championship club, started off bad and was getting worse. I still am yet to see a team worse than the one he had that got thrashed here two years ago. Koeman has a track record of finishing in the top half of The Premier League consistently and Shakespeare instigated a turnaround in form for Leicester last season which took them away from possible relegation. Given the crap cards they've been dealt with from the transfer window putting all the blame on them in October with their previous records seems somewhat unjust and unfair.

I'm not at all. It runs far deeper than him.

Keith Hackett reckons Shane Long dived for Southampton's penalty.

“We had another incident involving Shane Long, who fell over Florian Lejeune’s leg,” Hackett wrote in his column in The Telegraph on Monday.

“Again I don’t believe any offence was committed, and it worries me when ex-player pundits talk about soft penalties.

“There are no such thing and it is entirely possible to have contact and simulation.

“This is a big moment for the new [simulation review] panel because they have to set an example in both these cases"

Personally I thought it was just clumsy from Lejeune as Long was going nowhere with that touch of his. He may well have played for it but you can't ban someone when they have been knocked over.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Not the ideal result but Mou showed he is a tactical genius. Liverpool had plenty of chances to score but the pressure was too much.  Mourinho has won many trophies playing this way so his tactics should never be questioned. laughable that the Liverpool fans think they were the better team xD

but doesn't like it when teams park the bus against him?

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Not the ideal result but Mou showed he is a tactical genius. Liverpool had plenty of chances to score but the pressure was too much.  Mourinho has won many trophies playing this way so his tactics should never be questioned. laughable that the Liverpool fans think they were the better team xD

We were, it’s not even debatable. Only poor finishing and a couple of world class saves from De Gea stopped us taking the points. United were never really a threat to us at any time. 

• Administrator
Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

call it whatever you want to buddy! much rather have a proven winner that plays mind games as oppose to having a match-fixing coach. O.o

it's just double standards tbh xD 

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived