talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

What TV Series Are You Watching?

football forum

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Watched it yesterday.... the whole lot in one sitting :D

Really enjoyed it... was going to mention it but no need now.. 

Cheers for the heads up though... rare I get to see something before you these days B|

Same, watched it all last night xD

As mentioned on the El Chapo thread, I've been watching non-Hollywood series and movies during 2020. Just finished El Chapo, have watched Narcos and Narcos MExico, a series about Popeye while he was in jail. Popeye was Escobars main hitman and one on Pablo Escobar which is 70 odd episodes. Am currently watching the great heist.

What do you think about non-Hollywood movies and series? For me they're much better. Foreign shows seem to allow more complexity in character development and human expression. Being honest I'm struggling with Hollywood series now, just can't get into them. 

• Administrator

On 09/10/2020 at 19:34, MUFC said:

Anyone watched The Haunting of Bly Manor? 9/3 out of 10 on IMDB, that is really high.

On 09/10/2020 at 20:37, Rick said:

I’ve heard it’s not nearly as frightening or scary as the first and that along with the unspectacular trailer makes me not that keen to jump on it. I’ll wait for a bit more reaction. Plus Mike Flanagan not directing all the episodes is crap too. He’s a fantastic horror director. 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:11, Bluewolf said:

Finished that Bly Manor last night... not as creepy as everyone is making out, thought it was pretty good though

On 14/10/2020 at 20:38, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah thats kind of how I feel so far too. Like the back stories are interesting much like the original theyve done a very good job at building characters but there really isnt the horror element much at all outside of a handful of events really. Hill House just had the creepy feel and vibe to it the entire time where this definitely doesnt. I dont know like I said I wont judge it in full until I see the end but im not too optimistic.

On 14/10/2020 at 20:40, Mel81x said:

Like I was saying earlier too. The way characters start doing things is just so random haha. Granted there are some very cool things in the show and how its explained (or they try to explain) but I think the best EP for me so far was #9. I feel like the writers tried to put too much into one show that it really doesn't do just one thing right and instead tries to be mediocre at a lot of concepts.

On 15/10/2020 at 04:22, Viva la FCB said:

Alright i finished it. Read on when you have as well.

Reveal hidden contents

On 20/10/2020 at 17:12, The Palace Fan said:

The Haunting of Bly Manor. 9/10. Thought it got really good in the second half of the series. Thoroughly recommend as an October evening series.

I'm 4 episodes in and it's encouraging to read it gets better in the 2nd half of the series. I need to get out of the Hill House mode, and while I know it's a sequel, it's weird seeing 2 of the same characters play 2 very different roles in the same series. 

Maybe my expectations were high based on how HOHH was (which was fantastic, by the way). This is considerably slower and a more patient thriller. Agree about the lack of horror but that in itself lends it to being more scary. I loved HOHH but you knew in an episode there was at the very least a handful of scary jumpy moments. The fact there are less in Bly Manor means it will keep you guessing even more when you next could shit yourself.

I'm not sure what Hannah Grose's role is so far. Maybe it becomes clearer but what is her part in the history. She's there and just very pleasant and friendly, but there's something to her which is making me think twice about her (not to mention her sightings of that crack in the walls). 

I've not ready your spoiler @Viva la FCB but I am very intrigued as to what lies beneath.

I think some credit has to be given to the kids though. They play their roles very well. I actually enjoyed their story-time thing they did. They are formidable actors!

4 hours ago, Stan said:

I'm 4 episodes in and it's encouraging to read it gets better in the 2nd half of the series. I need to get out of the Hill House mode, and while I know it's a sequel, it's weird seeing 2 of the same characters play 2 very different roles in the same series. 

Maybe my expectations were high based on how HOHH was (which was fantastic, by the way). This is considerably slower and a more patient thriller. Agree about the lack of horror but that in itself lends it to being more scary. I loved HOHH but you knew in an episode there was at the very least a handful of scary jumpy moments. The fact there are less in Bly Manor means it will keep you guessing even more when you next could shit yourself.

I'm not sure what Hannah Grose's role is so far. Maybe it becomes clearer but what is her part in the history. She's there and just very pleasant and friendly, but there's something to her which is making me think twice about her (not to mention her sightings of that crack in the walls). 

I've not ready your spoiler @Viva la FCB but I am very intrigued as to what lies beneath.

I think some credit has to be given to the kids though. They play their roles very well. I actually enjoyed their story-time thing they did. They are formidable actors!

I preferred it to HOHH to be honest. Once they've finished introducing the characters it really picks up steam.

• Administrator
On 15/10/2020 at 04:22, Viva la FCB said:

Alright i finished it. Read on when you have as well.

Hide contents

Im really torn on this one. I actually quite liked the story itself and how it all unfolded but at the same time its not really a horror show at all, as they even say its really more of a love story or even a drama with a handful of creepy elements. As a stand alone I dont think i would be dissatisfied at all watching it. Its just that its not what I expected especially seeing the trailer and having only recently watched Hill House I just dont think it belongs in the same category. The story was interesting enough all the way through it kept my attention but i dont know at the end of it all its not the kind of show I think I would revisit which is a shame because I already want to rewatch Hill House. maybe a 7/10 for me all things considered.

I agree with all of this. It's a gripping thriller at most but not in the horror category. 

I do like the way it rolls out at the end and everything begins to fit together. 

They've removed themselves from the theme that Hill House was in and gone in a different direction. To be honest, I don't mind that. At least it wasn't exactly the same and I'd say they've succeeded in that different style even though it wasn't what was initially expected. 

• Upvote 1

Me and my missus have just burned through The Queen's Gambit in a couple days on Netflix.

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast here but....this is hands down one of the best bits of telly I have seen all year.

Who knew a coming of age story that largely revolved around the world of Chess could actually be so encapsulating?

The cinematography, music, recreating the feel of the 60's was brilliant.

Wasn't sure I'd be so into it as I was initially but by the 2nd episode I was most definitely drawn in. And that is definitely down to Anya Taylor-Joy appearing from Episode 2 onwards.

I salute you for an outstanding performance. Her complex character is mesmerising, absolutely draws you in.

Thoroughly recommend it.

8.8/10 for me.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 3

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Me and my missus have just burned through The Queen's Gambit in a couple days on Netflix.

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast here but....this is hands down one of the best bits of telly I have seen all year.

Who knew a coming of age story that largely revolved around the world of Chess could actually be so encapsulating?

Wasn't sure I'd be so into it as I was initially but by the 2nd episode I was most definitely drawn in. And that is definitely down to Anya Taylor-Joy appearing from Episode 2 onwards.

I salute you for an outstanding performance. Her complex character is mesmerising, absolutely draws you in.

Thoroughly recommend it.

8.8/10 for me.

It's been the headline on Netflix whenever I've logged in to watch anything else past few days and I was actually gonna ask what it was about and if anyone's watched. 

This is promising to hear and read!

19 minutes ago, Stan said:

It's been the headline on Netflix whenever I've logged in to watch anything else past few days and I was actually gonna ask what it was about and if anyone's watched. 

This is promising to hear and read!

It really surprised me. Can't say I envisaged liking it but it grew on me fast and was a great watch.

Netflix, bar a few hits, seems to have made a lot of what I'd call 'average viewing' with several stuff that's underwhelmed or not quite hit the mark. It makes you feel a bit sceptical now.

So when something like this exceeds your expectations, it's a great surprise. I can see it gaining huge popularity by the time Christmas has come and gone.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
On 11/11/2020 at 17:56, Lucas said:

Thoroughly recommend it.

8.8/10 for me.

On 11/11/2020 at 18:22, Lucas said:

It really surprised me. Can't say I envisaged liking it but it grew on me fast and was a great watch.

I'm a few episodes in and I can totally get where you're coming from with this. 

I don't usually like actors being changed but it was seamless pretty much albeit it very early on. You're right about Anya Taylor-Joy. She plays the role fantastically.

I have a small liking for chess as I used to play when I was much younger and watching it brought back a few memories. Ask most people about chess and one of the first words will either be 'slow' or 'boring'. Something to change their minds would be this programme. Encapsulating is a perfect word. 

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Really struggling for watches any moment. I really enjoy the European, murder mystery, weirdo killer dramas, especially Der Pass which I thought was excellent. Anyone got any recommendations? 

Springflut! https://www.amazon.de/Springflut-Staffel-1/dp/B0779HGCYP

• Upvote 1