• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Belgium's Golden Generation

Recommended Posts

Is this the year they finally live up to their potential? Or will they be hindered by Roberto Martinez and/or egos?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best defences in the world among one of the best attacks in the world. 

Lukaku, Hazard, KDB, Mertens, Dembele, etc, all in their prime. I think anything other than a semi-final from them should be seen as a dissappointment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nainggolan is one of the best midfielders in the world imo, very underrated player, yet didn't make the callup. But players like Benteke do. I think Martinez is a genuine moron, personally, who's living off his time at Swansea and his cup win with Wigan (where he also took them down a league, let's not forget).

They've got a lot of great players in their squad. And they should do very well. But I don't think they will, I think they'll be mismanaged and this golden generation will be pissed away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

Wilmots was worse than Martinez to be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great individuals, on paper they would be favourites and yet they have still to prove they can do it as a team. They haven't beaten what I'd call a 'Big Team' in a major competition yet.

From my recollection, they were poor in Brazil but had a piss easy games until they were knocked out by Argentina in Brazil 2014. A resurgent Italy played them off the park in Euro 2016 when it was their group to lose and even then, they fell into one of the easiest routes to a final they could get and still fucked up against Wales.

I will not be convinced until I see them take apart a somebody. And by that I mean a Germany, Spain, Brazil, France etc

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Blue said:

Wilmots was worse than Martinez to be fair.

He was aids. But so is Martinez 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/06/2018 at 19:28, Lucas said:

Great individuals, on paper they would be favourites and yet they have still to prove they can do it as a team. They haven't beaten what I'd call a 'Big Team' in a major competition yet.

From my recollection, they were poor in Brazil but had a piss easy games until they were knocked out by Argentina in Brazil 2014. A resurgent Italy played them off the park in Euro 2016 when it was their group to lose and even then, they fell into one of the easiest routes to a final they could get and still fucked up against Wales.

I will not be convinced until I see them take apart a somebody. And by that I mean a Germany, Spain, Brazil, France etc

My take of it is they need to win a trophy to be considered a success, be that the Euro's or the World Cup, but with the strength of Germany, Soain and France I reckon they'll need a degree of fortune for that to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won't go past the quarters again. They're eerily similar to England of the last 10-20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see this Belgium team winning in a drab unconvincing fashion similar to Spain in 2010.

The fact Martinez is there though probably makes that less likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 12:55, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nainggolan is one of the best midfielders in the world imo, very underrated player, yet didn't make the callup. But players like Benteke do. I think Martinez is a genuine moron, personally, who's living off his time at Swansea and his cup win with Wigan (where he also took them down a league, let's not forget).

They've got a lot of great players in their squad. And they should do very well. But I don't think they will, I think they'll be mismanaged and this golden generation will be pissed away.

Nainnggolan isn't the squad because he showed up for training late several times and continued smoking despite being warned not to. 

Is isn't simply plug-n-play, there is a power dynamic and a structure. If Nainnggoaln doesn't do what the coach says, why does anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imagine if France told Zidane to fuck off for smoking.

or Brazil and Socrates xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's clearly not impacting how he's performing on the pitch. Martinez just wants to stamp his authority for whatever reason, but I doubt it's for a good reason. Because I don't think he's even close to being a good manager. One of the biggest frauds in football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imagine if France told Zidane to fuck off for smoking.

That was also 20 years ago with different cultural attitutdes to smoking...and comparing Zidane and Nainggolan is a differetn world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's clearly not impacting how he's performing on the pitch. Martinez just wants to stamp his authority for whatever reason, but I doubt it's for a good reason. Because I don't think he's even close to being a good manager. One of the biggest frauds in football.

But you are okay with consistently showing up late for training? Say what you want about Martinez but Nainngolan would be at the WORLD CUP if he weren't a stubborn mule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't rate Martinez as a manager but I think there's merit in him refusing to take a player to the World Cup on those grounds. Even if it's not the club manager, Martinez is the Belgium manager and if Nainggolan can't meet the managers requirements then it's his fault he's not going to the World Cup.

Put it this way, if Martinez insisted that Nainggolan can't be part of the squad if he doesn't stop smoking and get on board, and then takes him anyway when that doesn't happen, he'd be a much worse manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His father abandoned him before he was born, so I imagine he has rebels against male authority figures without even realising he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2018 at 11:58, Dan said:

They won't go past the quarters again. They're eerily similar to England of the last 10-20 years.

 

England hasn't had asquad with half this much tallent in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

England hasn't had asquad with half this much tallent in a long time.

We've had some excellent players in that time period I mentioned. You can argue the toss on them but I don't think it's daft to compare the two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

 

England hasn't had asquad with half this much tallent in a long time.

2006.

Robinson

Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole

Rooney, Owen

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry said:

2006.

Robinson

Neville, Ferdinand, Terry, A Cole

Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole

Rooney, Owen

 

Mediocre goalie, good defense. 2 perenial under achievers in a national shirt that go together like Israel and Palestine, a shitcunt ogre forward and a bag of broken bones and unfufilled promises. Oh, and Joe fucking Cole.

 

You're off your head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Mediocre goalie, good defense. 2 perenial under achievers in a national shirt that go together like Israel and Palestine, a shitcunt ogre forward and a bag of broken bones and unfufilled promises. Oh, and Joe fucking Cole.

 

You're off your head

World class in 10 out of 11 positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not ridiculous to compare the two at all. Both hugely talented teams on paper. England failed to click and make is past a quarter final with their 'golden generation'. Belgium have so far have done the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Mediocre goalie, good defense. 2 perenial under achievers in a national shirt that go together like Israel and Palestine, a shitcunt ogre forward and a bag of broken bones and unfufilled promises. Oh, and Joe fucking Cole.

 

You're off your head

The fuck is wrong with Joe Cole? Won us the league that year 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

 

Fuck off.

Dopey prick 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Danny said:

Dopey prick 😂

 

 

He scored a nice goal against a middle of the road team. Sorry, clearly that means he was a world class professional with a storied career.

 

 

 

Fuck off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

 

He scored a nice goal against a middle of the road team. Sorry, clearly that means he was a world class professional with a storied career.

 

 

 

Fuck off

Joe Cole was a quality footballer, you don't have to be world class to be really good. And that is one of the best goals scored at a World Cup, had it of been a bigger name you'd never hear the end of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Danny said:

Joe Cole was a quality footballer, you don't have to be world class to be really good. And that is one of the best goals scored at a World Cup, had it of been a bigger name you'd never hear the end of it.

 

I do agree he was decent. He is clearly outclassed by Belguims current wide options. But that was my point. You'll notice I didn't have a smarky remark for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Belgium win fuck all and under achieve just like England did I'm sure in ten years time you'll view them with exactly the same level of disdain that you are England right now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement