talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Frank Lampard or Stevie Gerrard?

football forums

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managing at Rangers or Celtic is like managing with training wheels on. If Stevie fails here, I think he's done in management forever. Or he'll go to somewhere small and desperate. If Lampard fails at Derby, he can get a job elsewhere as long as he's not totally shite and probably wouldn't have to take a massive drop.

Lampard comes across as a decent fella and brighter than the average footballer so i'll say him, but fuck knows. Jody Morris is apparently highly regarded too and he's gone with Lampard.

Lampard has a tough job with an aging squad and I assume FFP troubles.

Gerrard also has a difficult job against a far better celtic team, I think he will be given leeway if he does a shit job because he was always up against a very dominant celtic team.

Lampard easily for me.

My perception of Gerrard as a manager will be he is going to be about blood and thunder, passion and commitment, where as Lampard will be tactically astute with more nous. I think Lampard is also more chilled and cooler under pressure. Gerrard is a hot head, people will get under his skin.

Gerrard has the far easier start and on the face of it, he should be more succesful, but I think Lampard will have the better career overall.

On 31/05/2018 at 18:36, Dr. Gonzo said:

Managing at Rangers or Celtic is like managing with training wheels on. If Stevie fails here, I think he's done in management forever. Or he'll go to somewhere small and desperate. If Lampard fails at Derby, he can get a job elsewhere as long as he's not totally shite and probably wouldn't have to take a massive drop.

Managing Rangers is far different to managing Celtic right now, putting them on the same level is a mistake.

Lampard will not be under anywhere near the same pressure or scrutiny that Gerrard will be under. Every single thing that Gerrard does now will be headline news for national newspapers, Lampard will not have that to deal will.

I think Lampard, he's so analytical and was a leader at Chelsea too. Obviously Gerrard was too but I feel like his sides will be a bit more brawn over brain.

Still I hope they both succeed.

• Subscriber

Gerrard will probably win more games next season but that doesn't automatically make him a better manager than Lampard overall. I hope they both do well and make it to the top so that they can go face to face with a nice contrast of strengths and weaknesses but I obviously hope Lampard has a more successful career because Gerrard is a Kopite bastard.

The main mistake was to accept the role at valencia. That said if he'd done even ok with that one he'd have looked a ballsy genius and would be leading the pack of the next generation of English managers. 

Archived