talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alisson Becker - Roma Goalkeeper Completes Move to Anfield

40 minutes ago, Cicero said:

News is we haven't even bid, which is good. Much rather go after the likes of Sergio Rico, Alphonse Areola, or Jasper Cillessen. All of which would cost a fraction. We can then focus on getting the rest of our targets. 

The Donnarumma rumors are scaring me. Flop waiting to happen and has a bigger mouth than Courtois. 

Our reliables are saying Chelsea didn't actually make a formal bid because Alisson made it clear he wanted to join us. I'm not saying it's true but apparently Chelsea's interest was real up until recently.

Anyway, medical booked by all accounts. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool had to sort out their defensive situation as that was a complete joke... Karius was Klopp's fault as he picked him out and I personally also think Liverpool's defensive issues (minus the goalkeeping detail) has been more due to Klopp's methods than the playing staff.  But improvements have been seen in this respect and what's for sure is that they needed a goalkeeper as they're probably the only club playing in a top division in Europe that didn't actually have one.

Alisson is a fantastic goalkeeper but you don't need to go that mental on a keeper to perform well defensively as has been shown in the goalkeepers @Cicero has mentioned, who are all good enough providing the tactics are sound.

He (Klopp) won't have any excuses now, not even a possible issue regarding Alisson seeming not to perform by saying the Premier League is a different kettle of fish. He's a top goalkeeper, Liverpool will be paying top dollar for him and now the focus is on Klopp.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Worlds most expensive CB, now worlds most expensive GK 

Do Liverpool fans now expect a title challenge or at the very least a trophy this season? 

awaiting the 'this is our year' comments :ph34r: 

9 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

He (Klopp) won't have any excuses now, not even a possible issue regarding Alisson seeming not to perform by saying the Premier League is a different kettle of fish. He's a top goalkeeper, Liverpool will be paying top dollar for him and now the focus is on Klopp.

Insane how there are still Liverpool fans claiming Klopp is not under any pressure. World's most expensive CB and GK, an injection of new players in midfield, still looking to add on Fekir as well as a top CB. 

Sorry, but if Liverpool don't finish the season with a good title challenge, if not title win, or at the very least finish the season with a trophy, Klopp will surely be looked at. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Insane how there are still Liverpool fans claiming Klopp is not under any pressure. World's most expensive CB and GK, an injection of new players in midfield, still looking to add on Fekir as well as a top CB. 

Sorry, but if Liverpool don't finish the season with a good title challenge, if not title win, or at the very least finish the season with a trophy, Klopp will surely be looked at. 

I personally rate Klopp for getting to the Champions League Final because they merited it.  But I agree... There's no hiding now and I personally won't permit any blame being directed at footballers if it all goes pear shaped. Klopp has spent on what he wanted and he's on his own where responsibility is in question now.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I dont think you're wrong in saying that he should be under pressure but the way I see it this is progressive improvements. No one would have given us the time of day last year if any fan on here said "We are going to do well in the Champions League". We'd have probably been laughed at. Now, however, we have something we have to improve on and that is where he is definitely going to be judged. We have spent well imo and while it isn't always the answer to a problem by just going out and getting players you supposedly need I think this squad can actually mount a challenge to bring home a trophy next season. We nearly did it last year too playing some entertaining football as well.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Where has this come from? Everyone connected to the club has repeatedly stated we're not in for another CB. Van Dijk's easily good enough to partner Lovren, and we have depth in Matip, Gomez, and Klavan.

You're right that we should be challenging for major honours, though.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I dont think you're wrong in saying that he should be under pressure but the way I see it this is progressive improvements. No one would have given us the time of day last year if any fan on here said "We are going to do well in the Champions League". We'd have probably been laughed at. Now, however, we have something we have to improve on and that is where he is definitely going to be judged. We have spent well imo and while it isn't always the answer to a problem by just going out and getting players you supposedly need I think this squad can actually mount a challenge to bring home a trophy next season. We nearly did it last year too playing some entertaining football as well.

Do you agree that one thing can be made clear before it all gets underway... The League Cup isn't part of the deal on a trophy won to give any mercy to Klopp.

• Subscriber

Apparently Karius was fine last season up to the Champions League final according to Liverpool fans. A few have even said they wouldn't have major concerns over keeping him as number one this season.

I agree with whoever said that you shouldn't scoff at transfer fees anymore because who knows what's good value in this market but there is an opportunity cost to buying a goalkeeper for 75m in that that's 75m you can't spend in other areas of the squad. If Karius, for all of the jokes, isn't the disaster he showed the world in the Champions League final, and Mignolet whilst also laughed at being a better number two goalkeeper than most teams have in the league, does this outlay represent a 75m improvement in Liverpool's assets? Could they have found a different goalkeeper for 40m or so who is an upgrade on Karius and spent the other 35m on a really good backup striker instead of Ings? I suppose we will see.

People are nail on the head with Klopp though. While going back on his "doing things a different way" comments regarding the transfer strategy of other clubs and their big spending is superficial and unimportant in the grand scheme of things, you can only spend so much money before you have to justify it. Klopp has taken Liverpool forward but they've still enjoyed no more success than the much more financially conservative Tottenham in recent years and less than Arsenal or Chelsea who haven't been close to making one 75m signing let alone two in the space of six months. To be fair though the sales of Suarez and Coutinho in recent years do balance things out a bit more.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I am a firm believer in investing heavily on your weaknesses. As Liverpool have done. 

However, that said, if this season doesn't provide any improvement to last, Klopp is to blame. 

like Spurs and Pochettino - how long do they stick with him without winning something?

(aware that Liverpool have won a trophy under Klopp so far, but I'd say would expect more with all this spending)

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

like Spurs and Pochettino - how long do they stick with him without winning something?

(aware that Liverpool have won a trophy under Klopp so far, but I'd say would expect more with all this spending)

?

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Do you agree that one thing can be made clear before it all gets underway... The League Cup isn't part of the deal on a trophy won to give any mercy to Klopp.

While I think its nice to win it I think he has his sights set elsewhere. Sure, its nice to have some silverware but I personally want something more. This kind of setup isn't being made to win a League Cup, I hope not.

Don't let fans of other clubs tell you what you should or shouldn't be expecting. Only Liverpool fans can apply meaningful pressure and they know they are seeing a progress under a manager who is genuinely passionate about the club and gives the paying fans what they want, and it's not just about trophies.

In terms of how well Liverpool do, it wouldn't surprise me if they start slowly as it takes time to embed so many new names in a side. I don't see any chance of overhauling Manchester City.

Will be interesting to see if the media start treating Liverpool like a big club again. The league or champions league can only justify this spending.

Enough of this "anything good from Liverpool is a fairytale" crap.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Don't let fans of other clubs tell you what you should or shouldn't be expecting. Only Liverpool fans can apply meaningful pressure and they know they are seeing a progress under a manager who is genuinely passionate about the club and gives the paying fans what they want, and it's not just about trophies.

In terms of how well Liverpool do, it wouldn't surprise me if they start slowly as it takes time to embed so many new names in a side. I don't see any chance of overhauling Manchester City.

considering how much time the manager took to get Andy, Robbie and to bring the youth around I can see this being a reality for us. Its never really been his MO to just buy new players and throw them into the pit. While it does frustrate people at times its a formula that has only worked in the club's benefit rather than detriment. I also don't think this GK signing will automatically guarantee success but its a stepping stone in the right direction because as of two seasons ago to now we have drastically improved across the board and its never been done with a complete overhaul of the entire squad as well. 

The last couple of transfer windows have been really baffling in the sense that there has been not much structure and organisation. The best example of this was that most of the top six clubs were complaining at the end of the summer transfer window there weaknesses had not been addressed the year Leicester won the league and the summer after. Now that we have seen more continuity and structure with long term managerial appointments in Klopp, Pep, Jose and Poch this tide seems to have changed.

As @Cicero alluded too, investing heavy in the area that's your most fundamental weaknesses is a good strategy. Liverpool done it with Van Dijk and now they're doing it with Allison.

I think competing for honours should be Klopps goal again. The man has shown with Borussia Dortmund he's a winner and he's clearly a likeable and influential influence on players, staff and fans. Whilst the club is not going backwards he should have everybody's support. None of this "we finished second we haven't won anything the manager has to go" modern day social media frenzy'd football fan nonsense please.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Worlds most expensive CB, now worlds most expensive GK 

Do Liverpool fans now expect a title challenge or at the very least a trophy this season? 

56 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Of course we do. If we narrowly miss out on something though, like we have done a few times recently, it doesn't mean we should start calling for Klopp's head and undo all the good work that's been done so far

Lol at everyone saying Klopp will be under pressure if we win nothing. Pressure from who? The fans fucking idolize him and the progress under him has been astounding. There will be no pressure at all.

That said, I do agree that a title challenge should now be considered a realistic expectation but bear in mind that 3-4 players need to be bedded in so we could start slowly. Maybe next season is more realistic. 

Regarding Klopps spending - He still hasn't hardly cost the club a penny in transfers. Before this summer he has made a profit in each transfer window so effectively buying Fabinho, Alisson and Kieta has been offset with the sale of Coutinho, with change to spare. So if we do eventually get Fekir for around £50m then our net spend this summer will still only be around £40m and that's not including upcoming sales of players like Mignolet, Ings, Markovic & Origi. 

Let's not all get carried away with this 'Liverpool shod rule the world' attitude because lets not forget that domestically we still have to overcome a very powerful Man City team under Pep and a heavy spending Utd team under serial winner Mourinho amongst others to win the league and in Europe their is the small matter of overcoming clubs like Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern who all have far more recent experience of winning it than we do. 

Just stay calm everyone. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

for some reason I thought they won the League Cup in his first season. My bad xD 

We've been to 3 finals in the 2 1/2 years he's been here. The League Cup, Europa League and the Champions League.

Lost them all unfortunately but it shows the progress that has been made under Klopp. 

1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Impressive signing although this does mean that Klopp has to actually start delivering. It's all well and good being a joker and a media darling but at some stage results need to be delivered. 

Imagine if Mourinho bought the world's most expensive goalkeeper and defender and won nothing - there would be riots :dam:!

Klopp plays beautiful football though so he gets an automatic pass 

• The title was changed to Alisson Becker - Roma Goalkeeper Completes Move to Anfield

Archived