talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alisson Becker - Roma Goalkeeper Completes Move to Anfield

18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Fairly certain the ambition of the Liverpool board best matches the club winning silverware vs playing great football but winning sod all. 

Well yes but they are clearly following an upward trajectory at the moment, so there is little pressure there. FSG have also proven to be cowed by the demands of the Anfield crowd (the only supporters who matter), who I can't see turning aginst Klopp anytime soon, if ever. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Fairly certain the ambition of the Liverpool board best matches the club winning silverware vs playing great football but winning sod all. 

In Poker terms, The Liverpool board are "All In"

If not now, when?

As ever its going to be funny watching  :ay:

After progressing forwards little by little every season, I don't think Klopp is under any pressure unless things go really pearshaped and we look fucking useless for a portion of the season. We're competing against a ridiculous Manchester City side that's incredibly deep and has oil money, Mourinho's United - who've also gotten better under his tenure, Spurs who've also made steady progress, Chelsea's oil money and Arsenal who are finally removing their thumbs from their arseholes. We've got a big weakness at goalkeeper and we've got money, why the fuck not spend big?

If we keep making progression, there's no reason to call for the manager's head. And if things go tits up, there will be calls for his head.

Don't know why all the Chelsea fans are so worked up about it. They should be happy about the return of club legend Petr Cech.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Don't know why all the Chelsea fans are so worked up about it. They should be happy about the return of club legend Petr Cech.

Because if a manager oversees such vast amounts of expenditure, people will expect a higher degree of success from said manager (and club). It's so basic. :what:

Net spend shows great business. But it doesn't give managers a free pass from not getting the most out of the resources available to them. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Because if a manager oversees such vast amounts of expenditure, people will expect a higher degree of success from said manager (and club). It's so basic. :what:

Net spend shows great business. But it doesn't give managers a free pass from not getting the most out of the resources available to them. 

I think most of us are expecting a title challenge and at least one good cup run. But I think many of us are looking to see further progress to achieve long term goals rather than seeing good progress go wasted by starting a new project again. If things go tits up, then Klopp will be under the microscope - but I don't see the point in setting ourselves up for having him under the microscope before a ball's been kicked in a competitive match this season.

4 hours ago, Cicero said:

Worlds most expensive CB, now worlds most expensive GK 

Do Liverpool fans now expect a title challenge or at the very least a trophy this season? 

Not really expecting anyting mate I'm just enjoying the ride and finding us exciting to watch. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

I love how everyone is demanding Klopp deliver the league title and Champions League whilst secretly dying for him to fail, except the Liverpool fans, who don't give a fuck xD

are you really a football fan if you're not criticising other clubs whilst not really giving a fuck though :P 

Brazilian twitter is absolute cancer on Alisson. The World Cup performance is a very small sample size and he didn´t really have a chance on any of the belgian goals.

Alisson is a good goalkeeper and certainly an improvement over Karius. Basing the evaluation on a reduced sample size is unfair, especially a guy like, who´s coming from a very strong season with Roma. His performances against Atlético de Madrid and Shakhtar were stellar.

Alisson has a very calm presence and good comunication with the defenders, two fundamental aspects to build a solid defence. He is not flashy and most saves are due to good positioning. In this sense, you can see the big Taffarel influence, Alisson was formed at Inter academy and have always idolized Taffarel, who later in his career became his mentor. He is not a perfect goalkeeper, his aerial presence and some rebounds should be improved, but 25 is a young age for a goalkeeper and there´s still a good margin for improvement. After only 2 seasons in Italy, Alisson already is a much better goalkeeper than he was at Inter, especially with his feet, and that proves that the drive to improve, to learn and to win is there. 

Liverpool is a smart club and certainly did extensive scouting on Alisson, the price is inflated, obviously, but in the end of the day, any team dealing its goalkeeper with Liverpool would hold the leverage. What really matters for Liverpool is that this deal makes them a stronger team and finally settles for the long run any goalkeeper debate. 

Serie A 2017/18

Save success rate 80,1% (1st in Serie A)

Accurate short passes per game

15.8 Reina

15.7 Alisson

15.5 Donnarumma

14.5 Buffon

14.3 Handanovic

Accurate long balls

7.4 Alisson

6.5 Donnarumma

6.1 Reina

5.0 Buffon

4.1 Handanovic

12 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I don't think the plastic Chelsea fans really understand how football clubs work, especially how match going fans interact with their team. It's totally alien to them that you just don't spend money and win things, no matter the style etc.

Crazy it isn't just the plastic Chelsea fans bringing it up. 

I really don't understand why many have their knickers in a twist about it. If a club spends a certain amount, what automatically comes with it are higher expectations. It's the same for every club. Fairly certain many will expect more things from West Ham as well.

You don't spend what Liverpool have done for the only ambition to be playing attractive football yet continue to win nothing season after season. They just purchased the most expensive GK and CB in a matter of months. Klopp is now at the stage where he has earned more time if things don't go his way straight off the bat, however to say there is no pressure to win silverware or improve on last season is quite simply ridiculous. 

21 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Brazilian twitter is absolute cancer on Alisson. The World Cup performance is a very small sample size and he didn´t really have a chance on any of the belgian goals.

Alisson is a good goalkeeper and certainly an improvement over Karius. Basing the evaluation on a reduced sample size is unfair, especially a guy like, who´s coming from a very strong season with Roma. His performances against Atlético de Madrid and Shakhtar were stellar.

Alisson has a very calm presence and good comunication with the defenders, two fundamental aspects to build a solid defence. He is not flashy and most saves are due to good positioning. In this sense, you can see the big Taffarel influence, Alisson was formed at Inter academy and have always idolized Taffarel, who later in his career became his mentor. He is not a perfect goalkeeper, his aerial presence and some rebounds should be improved, but 25 is a young age for a goalkeeper and there´s still a good margin for improvement. After only 2 seasons in Italy, Alisson already is a much better goalkeeper than he was at Inter, especially with his feet, and that proves that the drive to improve, to learn and to win is there. 

Liverpool is a smart club and certainly did extensive scouting on Alisson, the price is inflated, obviously, but in the end of the day, any team dealing its goalkeeper with Liverpool would hold the leverage. What really matters for Liverpool is that this deal makes them a stronger team and finally settles for the long run any goalkeeper debate. 

Serie A 2017/18

15.8 Reina

15.7 Alisson

15.5 Donnarumma

14.5 Buffon

14.3 Handanovic

Accurate long balls

7.4 Alisson

6.5 Donnarumma

6.1 Reina

5.0 Buffon

4.1 Handanovic

What a man this poster is.

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Crazy it isn't just the plastic Chelsea fans bringing it up. 

I really don't understand why many have their knickers in a twist about it. If a club spends a certain amount, what automatically comes with it are higher expectations. It's the same for every club. Fairly certain many will expect more things from West Ham as well.

You don't spend what Liverpool have done for the only ambition to be playing attractive football yet continue to win nothing season after season. They just purchased the most expensive GK and CB in a matter of months. Klopp is now at the stage where he has earned more time if things don't go his way straight off the bat, however to say there is no pressure to win silverware or improve on last season is quite simply ridiculous. 

What's funny is that every other clubs fans have more expectations than us yet the same turgid shite like 'It's our year' gets churned out xD

Klopp isn't under pressure to win things immediately, not with us fans or with the board and I don't think he will be for a while yet. 

The majority of us are just enjoying the ride, the steady progression and having a top manager/bloke looking after the footballing side of our club.

I'm sorry if you fans of other clubs don't like that but that's just how it is. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Serie A 2017/18

15.8 Reina

15.7 Alisson

15.5 Donnarumma

14.5 Buffon

14.3 Handanovic

Accurate long balls

7.4 Alisson

6.5 Donnarumma

6.1 Reina

5.0 Buffon

4.1 Handanovic

great post.

in addition, funny how Donnarumma gets loads of stick but has better averages than one of the world's greatest ever keepers last season. And better than Handanovic who I thought had a great season with Inter and is a brilliant keeper.

1 minute ago, LFCMadLad said:

What's funny is that every other clubs fans have more expectations than us yet the same turgid shite like 'It's our year' gets churned out xD

Klopp isn't under pressure to win things immediately, not with us fans or with the board and I don't think he will be for a while yet. 

The majority of us are just enjoying the ride, the steady progression and having a top manager/bloke looking after the footballing side of our club.

I'm sorry if you fans of other clubs don't like that but that's just how it is. 

I actually think you lot will give City a run, and actually end the season with a trophy. Why? Based on last seasons performances and the vast amount of injection you now had. Players that fit Klopps style. 

More spending = Higher expectations 

• Subscriber

This is one of those classic football arguments where both sides are responding to an exaggerated version of the opposing view instead of what the other side is actually saying.

Understandable as this is the first domestic club argument since the four weeks of relative calm during the World Cup.

It's like the first time you see your girlfriend after one of you has been away for a month and you need a really good shag to get over it.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I actually think you lot will give City a run, and actually end the season with a trophy. Why? Based on last seasons performances and the vast amount of injection you now had. Players that fit Klopps style. 

More spending = Higher expectations 

That's our point though, everyone is saying Klopp needs to deliver the league title or champions league or he will come under pressure. We are saying that Klopp will have to overcome Peps machine that is City and clubs like Real and Barca to achieve that, which although isn't impossible, is not very likely. We are saying that if we don't manage to overcome those types of teams then it's not the end of the World and we will just carry on enjoying the fantastic football we serve up and the steady progression we are showing. 

I really don't see why fans of other clubs seem so obsessed with Klopp coming under pressure? 

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

That's our point though, everyone is saying Klopp needs to deliver the league title or champions league or he will come under pressure. We are saying that Klopp will have to overcome Peps machine that is City and clubs like Real and Barca to achieve that, which although isn't impossible, is not very likely. We are saying that if we don't manage to overcome those types of teams then it's not the end of the World and we will just carry on enjoying the fantastic football we serve up and the steady progression we are showing. 

I really don't see why fans of other clubs seem so obsessed with Klopp coming under pressure? 

A realistic title run and ending the season with a trophy is what I said, to which I am fairly certain you lot are now capable of. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

I love how everyone is demanding Klopp deliver the league title and Champions League whilst secretly dying for him to fail, except the Liverpool fans, who don't give a fuck xD

You are a strange one sometimes... 

The style of play adopted by Liverpool last season was great to watch and I wouldn't want to see that change for this season, Defensively a little bit more focus was required and with the additions being signed it would be fair to say he has a decent shot of being in contention for all the same trophies as anyone else but there is only so much money you can throw at something before expecting some silverware on the table..

I think what has been suggested though about pointing fingers at other clubs who spend big and win nothing  then finding your club in the same position won't go unnoticed.. City still the team to beat, but with the usual changes for Chelsea and with Arsenal starting a new period under a new manager the top 6 or 7 clubs are going to make it a very interesting season for all of us.. 

• The title was changed to Alisson Becker - Roma Goalkeeper Completes Move to Anfield

Archived