talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group B Matchday 1 - 15 June

football forum

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Iran have just about 3 decent players, I'd say. Jahanbakhsh, Azmoun, and Haji Safi. But the rest of the quality of the side is pretty poor - the Persian league isn't great and that's where most of the players are from. I don't think a few good players can really do much to lift a side that's just bog standard - it's not realistic.

Having said that, I wasn't expecting Iran to be this poor. But it's typical Iran, always very good against the Asian sides... but against anyone else they play like dogshit.

Be careful, he might disappear and then joke about how Iran don't have quality players towards you.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite how horribly drab this game has been, Iran has deserved it. Morocco have hugely underperformed given the side they have and tactically Carlos Quieroz won the night as they have nullified Morocco completely.

Just now, Blue said:

Be careful, he might disappear and then joke about how Iran don't have quality players towards you.

I don't think we've had much quality on display tbf. I think you can have quality individuals without having a side demonstrate much quality.

IS IRAN GOING TO GET IT'S SECOND EVER WORLD CUP WIN?!

YES IT IS!!!!!

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think we've had much quality on display tbf. I think you can have quality individuals without having a side demonstrate much quality.

IS IRAN GOING TO GET IT'S SECOND EVER WORLD CUP WIN?!

YES IT IS!!!!!

It wasn't a quality game - but to say these 2 teams have no quality is not knowing your football well. 

Iran have 4 good players. Alireza, Azmoun, Samuel Ghobbos and Haji Safi where as Morocco has a whole team of decentish to good individual.

Anyways, Machado is just looking for new embarrassing ways to use me in order to amuse others, its getting old.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hooray, now I can revel in an undeserved victory in this world cup and it's only day 2!

I thought it was deserved tbf. It was drab, but Morocco are much better than what they showed. Iran nullified their game with a well read gameplan and Quieroz made good changes to get some attacks going.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Iran have just about 3 decent players, I'd say. Jahanbakhsh, Azmoun, and Haji Safi. But the rest of the quality of the side is pretty poor - the Persian league isn't great and that's where most of the players are from. I don't think a few good players can really do much to lift a side that's just bog standard - it's not realistic.

Having said that, I wasn't expecting Iran to be this poor. But it's typical Iran, always very good against the Asian sides... but against anyone else they play like dogshit.

I don't know why most people are having Iran as the worst side in the group. They conceded only 5 goals in 17 games during the qualification phase, and didn't lose any game. Poor competition I know but if nothing else, surely defensively they are a solid team. Portuguese managers are experts at parking the bus :ph34r:

Just now, Viva la FCB said:

That was an absolute dire second half. Worst case was probably a tie, not that either team has much of a chance to advance mind you.

Nah, Iran does have a shot. With one point against either Portugal or Spain, I think they should be through.

2 minutes ago, Machado said:

I don't know why most people are having Iran as the worst side in the group. They conceded only 5 goals in 17 games during the qualification phase, and didn't lose any game. Poor competition I know but if nothing else, surely defensively they are a solid team. Portuguese managers are experts at parking the bus :ph34r:

Iran's defensive record is it's biggest strength. But compared to Spain, Portugal, and even Morocco... the overall quality of the opposition is better than Iran. Most of Iran's players play in Iran and the league is just not a great standard.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Blue said:

Nah, Iran does have a shot. With one point against either Portugal or Spain, I think they should be through.

Yeah which is why I said the worst result would have been a tie. Iran winning gives them a chance but Its a pretty big long shot to get a point from either of those next matches. Not to say it cant, stranger things have happend.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Bad own goal or? 

(Plus rep if you can find me a gif)

Terrible. Bad positioning from the defender meant it was only going one way. 

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Ziyech, Benatia, Azmoun, Alireza, Belhanda, and Ghobbos all have something about them.

Shame you won't believe me because of your weird dislike towards me.

What is this dislike you talk about? It's the second time you say it but I never said I don't like you.

Either way, I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion. If you want to make it personal that is your problem. Go look for Teso for that kind of thrash talk, I'm not interested.

Just now, Viva la FCB said:

Yeah which is why I said the worst result would have been a tie. Iran winning gives them a chance but Its a pretty big long shot to get a point from either of those next matches. Not to say it cant, stranger things have happend.

Ah ok, fair enough.

I don't think its a long shot to get a draw against Portugal though. They are superior in quality but both are pragmatic as owt.  Its a nailed on 0-0 or a very narrow Portugal win.

Just now, Machado said:

What is this dislike you talk about? It's the second time you say it but I never said I don't like you.

Either way, I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion. If you want to make it personal that is your problem. Go look for Teso for that kind of thrash talk, I'm not interested.

Then stop bringing up something I said as a joke in every post xD

• The topic was unpinned

Archived