talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Last Man Standing - World Cup Edition!

• Subscriber

Update - Day Eighteen

Casualties (4)

giphy.gif

We really are getting thin on the ground now, as four of our eleven remaining contenders are floored by another shock result. The Last Man Standing competition bids "Adios" to @Teso dos Bichos, @Rucksackfranzose, @Berserker and @Marc as Spain pay the penalty and are eliminated by hosts Russia. You had a good run guys - thanks for taking part!

Survivors (2)

giphy.gif

With two players picking a fourth correct winner in a row, the Last Man Standing competition is guaranteed to continue into the quarter-finals, though both men made the most dramatic of narrow escapes today. @Devon Von Devon, despite trying to throw this round, is through having backed Russia to beat Spain. Some might call it ironic that an attempt at a form of match-fixing was actually obstructed by a Russian team. Joining him in the fifth round of the tournament is @...Dan, who was the only one to back Croatia in this round. I will tag you both on Tuesday to remind you to make your next picks after the Quarter Final lineup is confirmed, but for now, congratulations for surviving this long.

Not in play today (5)

With all five of our remaining fourth round qualifiers now waiting on Belgium's result against Japan tomorrow night to determine their fate, we will either go into the next phase with two or seven competitors. You'd expect it to be the latter, but we've seen already today that you can take nothing for granted at Russia 2018. Enjoy tomorrow's action folks!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Update - Day Nineteen

Casualties (0)

giphy.gif

Well that was looking as if it could be another major blow to the population of the Last Man Standing competition, almost as damaging as if a large explosive, perhaps an atomic bomb, was dropped on TF365 HQ. However, the Japanese wilted in the end, and today's results have failed to claim the scalps of any remaining competitors.

Survivors (5)

giphy.gif

"Just some advice Roberto, if you ever find yourself in a sticky situation and you've got Fellaini on the bench, here's what you should try..." They may have adopted some rather "un-Spanish" tactics in the process, but Belgium eventually overcame Japan this evening in what was probably the banker of the Second Round. In doing so, the Red Devils have carried @The Artful Dodger, @LFCMike, @Cannabis, @Toinho and @Viva la FCB into the Fifth Stage of the Last Man Standing competition, giving us a total of seven left standing. Congratulations guys, I'll be in touch tomorrow with some more notifications and a full roster of Quarter Final fixtures. Given that none of you can choose any of the four teams that have carried you this far (which I'll remind you of tomorrow) you might want to start considering your options.

Not in play today (2)

Just two guys through already before today's games. Nobody chose to dabble in tomorrow's fixtures to find a winner for the stage of the contest so sit back and enjoy the two games. We'll be back in play on Friday!

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

My ballsy calls at the start of the tournament might start giving me an advantage here :banana:

It's actually looking very similar across the board. Most people left in it have now used Uruguay, Belgium and either Russia or Croatia. There are two people who have used Colombia to get this far - they will be at a slight disadvantage (potentially) if Colombia get through tomorrow, as that will be four of the eight quarter-finalists that they are unable to choose from. If England beat Colombia then everyone will be unable to use 3 of the 8 quarter-finalists.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's actually looking very similar across the board. Most people left in it have now used Uruguay, Belgium and either Russia or Croatia. There are two people who have used Colombia to get this far - they will be at a slight disadvantage (potentially) if Colombia get through tomorrow, as that will be four of the eight quarter-finalists that they are unable to choose from. If England beat Colombia then everyone will be unable to use 3 of the 8 quarter-finalists.

This is getting exciting!!

• Subscriber

Round Five (Quarter Final) Fixtures

France v Uruguay

Brazil v Belgium

Russia v Croatia

Sweden v England

Gentlemen, it's time to make your next choice and boy is it getting interesting:

@Devon Von Devon - you are here thanks to Croatia, Uruguay, Colombia and Russia. This means that this time, you can choose from France, Brazil, Belgium, Sweden or England.

@...Dan - you are here thanks to Belgium, Uruguay, Argentina and Croatia. This means that this time, you can choose from France, Brazil, Russia, Sweden or England.

@The Artful Dodger - you are here thanks to Croatia, Uruguay, Colombia and Belgium. This means that this time, you can choose from France, Brazil, Russia, Sweden or England.

@LFCMike - you are here thanks to Uruguay, England, Tunisia and Belgium. This means that this time, you can choose from France, Brazil, Russia, Croatia or Sweden.

@Cannabis - you are here thanks to France, Uruguay, Tunisia and Belgium. This means that this time, you can choose from Brazil, Russia, Croatia, Sweden or England.

@Toinho - you are here thanks to Russia, Uruguay, Tunisia and Belgium. This means that this time, you can choose from France, Brazil, Croatia, Sweden or England.

@Viva la FCB - you are here thanks to Russia, Uruguay, Colombia and Belgium. This means that this time, you can choose from France, Brazil, Croatia, Sweden or England.

Reminder: In the knockout stage, you are picking a team to progress to the next round, not necessarily in ninety minutes. If your pick draws 1-1 and wins on penalties, you will survive... for now.

Important Rule Adjustment: When I wrote the rules at the start of the tournament I forgot about the Third Place Playoff. If I disregard that match that could leave people in a situation if they get all the way to Round Seven, where there is a final of Brazil v Sweden and they have already used Brazil. Some might say tough titties, but with this in mind, the Seventh Stage of this competition will encompass both the Final and the Third Place Playoff so that you can have four teams to choose from. If we need a tie breaker, this will still be the First Goalscorer in the World Cup Final.

Analysis

Things are about to get really fucking tricky here. Do you just make a safe pick now and worry about the next stage later? Or do you start playing 3D chess and plot your moves for the rest of the tournament? Bear in mind that there are only four correct picks in this round, and only two correct picks in the semi-finals. The smart strategy here is to pick a team that you think will win their Quarter Final and lose their Semi Final but how risky do you want to be? Here's what the bookies (bet365) have to say about each team progressing:

Uruguay (7/4) vs France (4/9)

Brazil (8/15) vs Belgium (6/4)

Sweden (2/1) vs England (4/11)

Russia (6/4) vs Croatia (8/15)

Looking at this, @Toinho and @Viva la FCB appear to hold a slight advantage over their rivals, having made it this far without using any of the four favourites for the Quarter Final ties. Croatia and England, favourites to win in this round but not for the tournament win, appear to be smart picks if they're available at this stage, but you'd be a fool to take advice from a man eliminated from his own tournament on Day Three wouldn't you? And this World Cup has shown us enough times that it has little regard for a favourite tag.

Try not to take too long over your picks and good luck folks!

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

1 for Brazil, 2 for Croatia, 4 for England. Don't know how my updates will be tonight and tomorrow as I might be hammered but good luck everybody.

What if everybody is out before the final ?

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

What if everybody is out before the final ?

Then the last man standing wins. If everyone goes out all at once we will either have to just carry on into the next round with everyone or use some sort of tie breaker.

• Subscriber

6 teams left in the World Cup. 6 men left in this one. @LFCMike :bye: a great effort to get this far from everyone involved to be fair, but Brazil's defeat to Belgium has seen off one more competitor.

I mean, if England and Croatia both lose you're back in the game one way or another but thanks for playing either way.

Hilarious GIFs will come at some point on Sunday after tomorrow's action.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

6 teams left in the World Cup. 6 men left in this one. @LFCMike :bye: a great effort to get this far from everyone involved to be fair, but Brazil's defeat to Belgium has seen off one more competitor.

I mean, if England and Croatia both lose you're back in the game one way or another but thanks for playing either way.

Hilarious GIFs will come at some point on Sunday after tomorrow's action.

imagine how dead this place would be without GIFs xD

If England and Croatia win tomorrow, I'll be left with just one team (France) with 2 rounds left.

If I take a risk and change to Russia for tomorrow, I'll have England (or Sweden) and France left....

Maybe reaching the semi final will be good enough. I don't want to go out in the quarter final by trying to make it to the final.

• Subscriber
59 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

If England and Croatia win tomorrow, I'll be left with just one team (France) with 2 rounds left.

If I take a risk and change to Russia for tomorrow, I'll have England (or Sweden) and France left....

Maybe reaching the semi final will be good enough. I don't want to go out in the quarter final by trying to make it to the final.

Whoever gets to the final will have used both teams barring a literally incredible statistical anomaly where in all four knockout rounds and one group stage match they've picked a team that have been knocked out in the next round every time.

At that stage it'll just be pick your winner and if there's too many people or everyone picks the same team we will use first goalscorer or time of first goal as a tie breaker.

10 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Whoever gets to the final will have used both teams barring a literally incredible statistical anomaly where in all four knockout rounds and one group stage match they've picked a team that have been knocked out in the next round every time.

At that stage it'll just be pick your winner and if there's too many people or everyone picks the same team we will use first goalscorer or time of first goal as a tie breaker.

Anton has Croatia in the QF, and will be left with England/Sweden and France for the final two rounds. It's definitely doable for the others. For me, the only way I get to the final is if Russia beat Croatia tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, ...Dan said:

Anton has Croatia in the QF, and will be left with England/Sweden and France for the final two rounds. It's definitely doable for the others. For me, the only way I get to the final is if Russia beat Croatia tomorrow. 

I'm nervous about my Croatia pick though! 

• Subscriber
On 6/10/2018 at 18:26, RandoEFC said:

Exceptions

Strategically, this is a bit different from the last competition, as if you choose Germany, Brazil, France, Spain to get you through the Group Stage and Second Round, then the Quarter Final draw somehow looks like this...

Germany v Australia

Brazil v Tunisia

France v Panama

Spain v Saudi Arabia

... then there will be no special exceptions made - you cannot choose the same team twice in this situation!

However, if you make it as far as the Semi Final or Final and all/both of the remaining teams (e.g. a final of Germany v Brazil and you've already used both) then I'll have no choice but to let you choose one of them again. In fact, if you do make it to the Final and you haven't picked both of the finalists at some point this would be quite a big mathematical anomaly. This is the only exception though!

Can't move this quote to the middle of the post so it's here for reference later on..

Update - Quarter Finals

Casualties (1)

giphy.gif

Just one brave competitor is felled at this stage of the Last Man Standing competition, with Belgium upsetting the apple cart by dumping out @LFCMike's Brazilians. Thanks for taking part, Mike. If it's any consolation, getting this far you'd have won the other two Last Man Standing competitions I took part in.

Survivors (6)

giphy.gif

One step closer to the final, it's actually pretty outrageous to see an impressive six people get this far into the tournament, having taken risks at the right times to pick five consecutive winners. Not an easy task at all and like I mentioned above, a feat that none of the 50 other people I shared two other Last Man Standing competitions with could pull off. The first group through to the Sixth Round of the tournament were @Devon Von Devon, @...Dan, @The Artful Dodger and @Viva la FCB, who successfully called England's relatively comfortable victory over Sweden. Things were a bit more buttock-clenching for @Cannabis and @Toinho but Croatia eventually delivered the goods and ended Russia's carnival in a penalty shootout after dark on Saturday night.

Round Six (Semi-Final) Fixtures

France v Belgium

Croatia v England

We're down to just four teams now and only two of them are going to win this time around, so surely we will see some blood spilt on Tuesday and or Wednesday evening. Remember that the Seventh Round will include both the Final and the Third Place Playoff, so factor that into your strategy whilst making your next pick.

You will notice that I have quoted part of my original post at the top of this one - with so many people into this round and so many permutations I've had to look up the rules myself to see what I said. The only time you can pick a team for a second time in this competition is if you've already picked every remaining team in the competition once before. Therefore, if you are one of the people who is down to one of the four teams to choose from, hang in there. You're at a disadvantage now but if your pick is successful in this round, you have a free pick from all four teams that will contend the Final and the Third Place Playoff.

So, these are the options remaining for each competitor:

@Devon Von Devon - you have used Croatia (v Nigeria) and England (v Sweden). This leaves you with either your current pick FRANCE or BELGIUM if you change your mind before kick off tomorrow.

@...Dan - you have used Belgium (v Panama), Croatia (v Denmark) and England (v Sweden). This leaves you no other option than to pick FRANCE this round. However, if they win and make it to the final, you have a free pick of any of the four teams left in the final round.

@The Artful Dodger - you have used Croatia (v Nigeria), Belgium (v Japan) and England (v Sweden). This leaves you no other option than to pick FRANCE this round. However, if they win and make it to the final, you have a free pick of any of the four teams left in the final round.

@Cannabis - you have used France (v Australia), Belgium (v Japan) and Croatia (v Russia). This leaves you no other option than to pick ENGLAND this round. However, if they win and make it to the final, you have a free pick of any of the four teams left in the final round.

@Toinho - you have used Belgium (v Japan) and Croatia (v Russia). This leaves you with a choice of FRANCE or ENGLAND this time around. Please make your pick as soon as possible!

@Viva la FCB - you have used Belgium (v Japan) and England (v Sweden). This leaves you with a choice of FRANCE or CROATIA this time around. Please make your pick as soon as possible.

Good luck guys, and congratulations again for making it this far.

Archived