The better place to talk football.

Last Man Standing - World Cup Edition!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't get it - you picked Spain and lost the other day? xD

xD

If ever you needed proof I was not of sound mind there it bloody is... I don't know why I thought I had Germany... 

"Nurse, Nurse... I need a lay down"

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Update - Day Fourteen

Casualties (11)

giphy.gif

What. A. Massacre. The failings of Germany, Mexico and Switzerland today leave us with an absolutely shocking scoreboard so far in the third round, with just one person surviving into the Knockouts so far and a total of 13 people sidelined. The Last Man Standing competition bids "auf wiedersehen" to @Dan, @Tommy, @El Profesor, @Machado, @Asura and @Lucas for starters, who all backed Germany in what looked like the safe bet of the round against South Korea. @Stan also quietly fell out of the reckoning as the only man to back Mexico against Sweden only to see them get absolutely twatted 3-0. The evening drama went right down to the wire, @nudge, @BounceAroundTheGround, @shut up and @Mel81x had barely had time to celebrate what looked like Switzerland's winning goal in the 88th minute before they, too, were cruelly eliminated by Costa Rica's 93rd minute equaliser. The elimination of two of TF365's two leading ladies also saves @RandoEFC from having any further attention drawn to the sexist nature of this competitions's name.

Survivors (0)

giphy.gif

Nope, I'm not joking. We seriously lost eleven people across three different matches today without a single person surviving. Thanks for playing guys.

Not in play today (12)

With almost half of the remaining contenders eliminated in one day today, there are eleven more waiting to see whether or not they will survive what has been a crippling third round. In the unlikely event that Colombia (backed by 4), Tunisia (backed by 6) and Japan (backed by 1) all fail to win tomorrow, @...Dan will be crowned the Last Man Standing champion in 24 hours' time. Hopefully, though, the show will go on and I will be posting a completed set of Last Sixteen ties tomorrow for our remaining competitors to choose from. Enjoy the last set of group matches guys!

Wait, what?, who's the other woman apart from Nudge? :35_thinking:

• Subscriber

Update - Day Fifteen

Casualties (1)

giphy.gif

Today looked like it could have been another Red Wedding on a couple of occasions, but in the end we just have a single casualty. Eyebrows were raised when @bozziovai swapped his pick from Germany to Japan, and it briefly looked like an inspired move when South Korea stunned the defending champions yesterday, but the Japanese were felled by Poland this afternoon and had to rely on help from elsewhere to remain in the competition.

Survivors (10)

giphy.gif

After yesterday's carnage, today gave plenty of reason for celebration, beginning with Colombia's 1-0 win over Senegal in the first pair of matches, Yerry Mina's goal carrying his nation to the top of Group H, and carrying @Devon Von Devon, @The Artful Dodger, @Teso dos Bichos and @Viva la FCB into the fourth stage of the Last Man Standing contest. Later, despite trailing at half-time, this round's (joint) most popular pick Tunisia came from behind to send another six survivors into the Knockout Round with the added benefit of having used a team that they will never need to use again. Congratulations @LFCMike, @Rucksackfranzose, @Cannabis, @Berserker, @Toinho and @Marc for a great pick.

Not in play today (1)

Today's ten survivors, along with @...Dan, the only other person to make it through Round Three before today, can now make their picks from the confirmed list of Last 16 ties below. Now that we are down to an elite group of survivors, here is a reminder of the teams used by each player so far, so that we can all see who can't use which nations again:

@Devon Von Devon - Croatia, Uruguay, Colombia

@...Dan - Belgium, Uruguay, Argentina

@The Artful Dodger - Croatia, Uruguay, Colombia

@Teso dos Bichos - Croatia, Uruguay, Colombia

@LFCMike - Uruguay, England, Tunisia

@Rucksackfranzose - Croatia, England, Tunisia

@Cannabis - France, Uruguay, Tunisia

@Berserker - Belgium, Uruguay, Tunisia

@Toinho - Russia, Uruguay, Tunisia

@Viva la FCB - Russia, Uruguay, Colombia

@Marc - Belgium, Uruguay, Tunisia

Now, gentlemen, choose your weapons:

Round 4 (Last 16) Fixtures

France v Argentina

Uruguay v Portugal

Spain v Russia

Croatia v Denmark

Brazil v Mexico

Belgium v Japan

Sweden v Switzerland

Colombia v England

• Subscriber

Woops, I forgot to clarify something here:

Knockout Rules

At this stage, we will not be following the traditional "betting" approach where you bet on a result over 90 minutes. If your chosen team draws in 90 minutes, but wins the tie in extra time or in a penalty shootout, you will survive and progress to the next round.

Good luck!

Archived