talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Harry Kewell Sacked by Notts County After Two Months

football forum

• Administrator

County were tipped to be favourites for the league but it hasn't quite worked out for Nolan so far this season. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45314454

Too soon for him to be sacked? More time required? Got them to the play-offs last season...

League Two side Notts County have parted company with manager Kevin Nolan after a six-game winless run.

Nolan took charge of the Magpies in January 2017 and led them to the League Two play-offs last season.

But they have picked up just one point in five league games this season, with former Leyton Orient boss Nolan's final game a 3-1 defeat by Lincoln City.

First team coaches Steve Chettle and Mark Crossley will take charge of Notts until a new manager is appointed.

"Having conceded 16 goals in our last five matches and being without a win in our last 10 competitive games, we feel now is the time to move forward with a new manager," chairman Alan Hardy told the club website.

"Everybody knows of my desire to restore the fortunes of the world's oldest Football League club and I have invested substantial monies to strengthen our playing squad in the summer.

"Our supporters have responded magnificently by turning out in their droves but, unfortunately, their efforts have not been backed up by performances on the pitch."

Notts are bottom of the League Two table, already seven points adrift of the play-off places.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange for County to press the buzzer so soon on Nolan, especially after the decent job he did last season. Sure, it's a bad start, but five games really is ridiculous. 

Hope to see him back in management soon. Naturally I'm reasonably biased, but I always thought he had a great temperament with the attributes for management. I wish him all the best.

If I'm not mistaken didn't they fall apart at the end of last year as well, before losing to Coventry in the playoffs? 

If so, this isn't too surprising. While it IS early, the form for Notts has been going downhill for some tme. 

I listened to him before the season started on the Radio with so much optimism in his voice you could tell he was really looking forward to the challenge ahead. It seems a bit of a shotgun decision, but when you read @Smiley Culture post, it educates you that he position may have been under threat for a little longer than this season. Still sad thou, but agree with @Harvsky he should get another go elsewhere soon.

1 minute ago, The Liquidator said:

I listened to him before the season started on the Radio with so much optimism in his voice you could tell he was really looking forward to the challenge ahead. It seems a bit of a shotgun decision, but when you read @Smiley Culture post, it educates you that he position may have been under threat for a little longer than this season. Still sad thou, but agree with @Harvsky he should get another go elsewhere soon.

He will find another job, and probably rather quickly. He is a good manager that people seem to enjoy and respect, but Notts poor performances were have been happening for too long now. 

According to the Nottingham Post, Notts County Director resigned after Kevin Nolan was sacked. 

Sounds like there might be more to this and that this could really be trouble for Notts County. 

• The title was changed to Harry Kewell Takes Over From Kevin Nolan at Notts County
17 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Who’s next to you? @SirBalon Kewell?

Good on kewell, not shirking a challenge. Did quite well with Crawley. 

Yeah, Harry Kewell became my next door neighbour about just over a year ago. He hasn’t sold the property so I would expect he may commute a lot of the time. 

4 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Yeah, Harry Kewell became my next door neighbour about just over a year ago. He hasn’t sold the property so I would expect he may commute a lot of the time. 

That’s awesome. Despite some questionable decisions during his playing career I still see him as a legend. Ps. Forgot you’re wealthy! ;) Pps. Tell him an Aussie bloke you know wants to meet him when I come to England haha  

• This topic was pinned, featured, unfeatured and unpinned
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

Only two minutes ago he was talking about creating a legacy with Crawley Town. Amazing.

Silly question, but I assume they've been poor?

Yeah not won in 7. Harsh to sack someone so soon though, still. I'm guessing it goes deeper than just match results. Maybe some off-field disagreements. 

• The title was changed to Harry Kewell Sacked by Notts County After Two Months

Archived