talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Declan Rice

Which Country Should Declan Rice Elect to Play For?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. England or Ireland?

• England
    • Ireland

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How good is he? The only people I’ve heard talking him up are West Ham fans and fans in general are always likely to overrate one of their own. I’ve never really watched him play I don’t think, so I can’t really pass judgement on whether he’s good enough to play for England. 

I suspect right now, he’s probably not, but that’s not a dig at him. He’s only 19 and to be considered for England at that age, you’d expect the player to be a major talent to even be talked about. With John Stones (24) and Harry Maguire (25), you’d think that, barring any major injuries or controversies, they’ll be England’s centre back pairing for the next four years and if Gareth Southgate is in charge for that period and keeps the formation he employed at the World Cup, that Joe Gomez would be the third centre back used, if he can continue the trajectory he’s on. After those three, I struggle to think of adequate backup. There’s options in the likes of Alfie Mawson, Michael Keane and Phil Jones but I’m not sure that any of those three will be anything more than backup. 

We have a young centre back Chris Mepham who chose to represent Wales last season. Still a teenager and has enough potential to at least match the likes of Mawson, Tarkowski etc in the future and essentially win an England cap.

But he wanted to play for Wales. If Rice wanted to play for Ireland he wouldn't hesitate, so I hope he picks England as that'll mean there'll be centre backs who want to play for Ireland who'll get the chance.

But yeah, no idea how good or bad he is. Doesn't seem that good if he can't make the West Ham side.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Because he was never Irish in the first place? 

why's he played for them through each level then from youth to senior level? Now he's got a change of heart?

1 minute ago, Stan said:

why's he played for them through each level then from youth to senior level? Now he's got a change of heart?

Now that he thinks he can play for England maybe?

If you go around checking 14 year old English boys family trees on ancestry.co.uk then lure them in with International football promises and opportunities then this is going to happen with some.

I bet there are players who got lured into Ireland young and later wished they hadn't. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Now that he thinks he can play for England maybe?

If you go around checking 14 year old English boys family trees on ancestry.co.uk then lure them in with International football promises and opportunities then this is going to happen with some.

I bet there are players who got lured into Ireland young and later wished they hadn't. 

do you think my name is Jimmy?

• 4 weeks later...

From London, born to English parents. Doesn't sound very Irish to me. What is next? Bradley O'Shaunessy from The Bronx playing for Ireland because his 12th great-grandfather skipped across the pond in search of potatoes?

On 04/10/2018 at 21:35, Spike said:

From London, born to English parents. Doesn't sound very Irish to me. What is next? Bradley O'Shaunessy from The Bronx playing for Ireland because his 12th great-grandfather skipped across the pond in search of potatoes?

I think the rule is 2 generations. His grandparents are Irish 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Declared for England. Whatever you make of his family links, I think it's sly that you can drop your choice like this.

I've had many a discussion with coach colleagues about this, and was surprised with the number who stated that they'd play for any national side they could qualify for if given the opportunity. Their desire to play international football is greater than their desire to represent their nation. I suppose the decision rests on how strong your feelings are towards your country. Personally if I'd been a player then it would have been England or nobody.

• Subscriber

Declan Rice: West Ham midfielder declares for England over the Republic of Ireland

West Ham midfielder Declan Rice has pledged his international future to England.

Rice, 20, has won three senior Republic of Ireland caps, all in friendlies, having played for his grandparents' country since under-16 level.

In August the Londoner said he needed time to decide his future, as winning a competitive cap for the Republic would have tied him to the country.

"This has been an extremely difficult decision," he said.

Rice, who has made 59 appearances for West Ham, has excelled this season in a defensive midfield role for the Hammers.

In a long statement on Twitter, he said: "I consider myself to be of mixed nationality. I have equal respect for both England and Ireland and therefore the national team I choose to represent is not a clear-cut, simple selection.

"Ultimately, it is a personal decision I have made with my heart and my head, based on what I believe is best for my future.

"I would also like to make it clear that, in requesting to transfer my national team representation, I am not taking for granted a call-up to the England squad."

Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy said: "Declan rang me today and said he has decided to give it a go with England. Good luck to him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47231737

Think he’ll get opportunities under Southgate. I’d imagine that he’s spoken with him and you’re not likely to end your International career with one nation if you’re not going to be given opportunities with another. 

He seems to be having a good year since he moved into the DM role. 

Sorry, but that's a cop out. He shouldn't be able to do that.

Once you represent a country once in any level, that should be it. Whether it's a friendly or not, they should all still count otherwise you'll continually get farcical decisions like this.

End of story for me.

Archived