talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ferguson leaving as a part of Lampard's reshuffle. Wonder if he'll get a managerial job straight away. 

Ancelotti offered him a role as part of the Real Madrid backroom staff, but he turned it down to remain with Everton. The two are very close, so there's talk that he will be offered the chance to go there again. 

I know that sounds a bit out there, but not trolling - totally true.

• Haha 1

On 29/01/2022 at 11:12, Waylander said:

Interesting.

Great football pedigree, probably the greatest Chelsea midfielder and one of the best of his generation. High Mensa rating and has a lot of experience playing under some very successful managers.

At Chelsea think he wanted to play a back four yet our defensive midfield and centre backs were used to a back three and the board did not want to buy his preferred options.

At Everton I would expect him to buy a couple of players, probably from the Championship that he can motivate and to provide competition to the existing players.

I'll certain take more than a passing interest now. 

Its interesting you mentioned mensa. Lampard is actually very intelligent. I think his I.Q is 140 or something. 

• Subscriber

Ferguson is suddenly odds on for the Sunderland job I've just seen. Might be made up as I haven't looked myself.

Lampard is bringing a collection of coaching staff with him. Van de Beek due to be announced tomorrow morning. Hopefully we have some luck with a Dutch player for once. Heitinga had that one amazing season but Van der Meyde, Drenthe, Klaassen, not a brilliant track record overall.

Alli is off the table now. Because of the El Ghazi loan signing along with Van de Beek, that's our allotted number of domestic loans apparently. Barkley is still getting offered around and it's not impossible that Chelsea could terminate his contract six months early and allow him to join another team on a free transfer. I'm still not keen.

More interesting is that we've enquired about a half-season loan deal for Idrissa Gueye from PSG. I'm usually wary about us going back to what worked a few years ago, but if he's still got his legs then he's exactly what we need in a midfield three, a player who can break up play.

Tim Cahill is also joining the club in a technical role (not Director of Football) alongside the first team. Where I thought the Graeme Sharp board appointment was jobs for the boys/Kenwright bringing an ally into the fold, Cahill has actually kept himself busy and educated himself in footballing matters since he retired as a player.

So a lot to announce tomorrow. Lampard, a handful of coaches, Cahill, Van de Beek and possibly one more midfielder.

• Subscriber

Lampard at Finch Farm and taking training today. Ashley Cole the latest name to be added to his ever-growing entourage of coaches. Also understand that Lampard has offered Duncan Ferguson a place on his team and he might be staying after all.

Donny van de Beek has completed his medical and is in the process of doing his media duties.

We're also in negotiations for the permanent transfer of Dele Alli. One I'm not sure about and I always worry that if Moshiri is anywhere near the table, we'll be paying a ludicrous fee. If Lampard believes he can get the best out of him again though, then let him have at it. Especially if Ross Barkley is among the alternatives.

We do need reinforcements in midfield with Davies, Doucoure and Delph still out for a long time. You could look at Van de Beek and Alli as filling the gaps left in the squad by Sigurdsson and Rodriguez. The priority remains a ball winner though. Someone with better legs than Allan to shield the defence and let a combination of Doucoure/Van de Beek/Alli/Gomes do their thing.

Sometimes there's more to a manager's reign than trophies, league position and win percentages, particularly at the clubs where the expectation is higher and success is measured on trophies. I'll say one thing to Everton fans though, Lampard may not have won anything with us but he did a lot of good things, a lot of which were the reason we won the Champions League, maybe Tuchel's Ranieri. That said, he did have his flaws as well, I hope this move works out for him and wish him all the best except against Chelsea of course.

Edited by carefreeluke

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 21/02/2022 at 18:29, Bluewolf said:

@RondónEFC bit early I know but what are your thoughts so far with Lampard tactics/style of play and impact/influence on the players?? Going to take a while to get the changes required I know but just curious if you are seeing any positives amongst the negatives?? 

Mixed bag so far. There are good signs on what he's trying to introduce but a lot of signs of lingering problems that have been around for a long time. Going to take a long time to see whether he's the man to iron them out because the weak mentality, patchy defending and inconsistency of many of our players have haunted us for a long time.

The Lampard continuum for Everton fans?

You Can Be Our Hero, Baby - wins the FA Cup and stays up.

You confusing Martinez like horrible Tory glorious man - wins the FA Cup and goes down.

OK, cool. Let's reboot and we'll see what you can do - doesn't win the FA Cup, stays up.

How do I become a theoretical physicist and travel back in time? - doesn't win the FA Cup. Goes down.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

This guy needs to go. I've never been comfortable with his involvement at the club knowing the sort of background he comes from, and have been grateful that his involvement has at least wisely been kept relatively under the radar. I don't care how much of his money has kept the stadium project alive or even kept us on the right side of Financial Fair Play.  I don't even care if no Usmanov means no Moshiri. The club is more than these people.

I also remain convinced that I'd say the same if their money had brought us the same success that the likes of Man City and Chelsea have seen. I acknowledge that you don't know until it happens and that it's easy to say these things when it has no negative impact on your team competitively so I'm not having a dig at anyone else or trying to take some sort of moral high ground.

Moshiri is no shrinking violet, but Usmanov is really a bridge too far and it says it all that all of his involvement in the club sees him remain in the shadows. Until people start asking questions and finding out stuff like this.

It's vile seeing your football club associated in any way with these people, especially with what's currently going on and the increased scrutiny on these insanely rich oligarchs and their ilk.

• 2 weeks later...

@RondónEFC everton remind me of spurs until Redknapp came in. They were spending a lot of money but were underachieving. For me Redknapp built the foundations and then other managers came in and took them to the next level. I'm not sure if spurs would have got to where they got to without Redknapp. I know they didnt win anything but they qualified for multiple champions leagies and got to a final. They were certainly better than they had been and even now are stronger than they generally were before Redknapp.

Now you probably wont agree but I do think if it doesnt work out with Lampard Sean dyche would be a good choice.  Hes massively over achieved with Burnley and I think he could build everton up and then maybe somebody else take over to take them to the  next level if he cant do it. I think everton have to get to a certain level before they can attract a top coach though 

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@RondónEFC everton remind me of spurs until Redknapp came in. They were spending a lot of money but were underachieving. For me Redknapp built the foundations and then other managers came in and took them to the next level. I'm not sure if spurs would have got to where they got to without Redknapp. I know they didnt win anything but they qualified for multiple champions leagies and got to a final. They were certainly better than they had been and even now are stronger than they generally were before Redknapp.

Now you probably wont agree but I do think if it doesnt work out with Lampard Sean dyche would be a good choice.  Hes massively over achieved with Burnley and I think he could build everton up and then maybe somebody else take over to take them to the  next level if he cant do it. I think everton have to get to a certain level before they can attract a top coach though 

Dyche can get fucked. I'm not having any more managerial changes. If you could guarantee me safety right now in exchange for giving Lampard the boot already then I'd choose The Championship. This squad has become absolutely unmanageable because of how many different managers and directors of football have had their input into it without being able to see the job through for more than a couple of years.

Half of the reason Benitez and Lampard were the options available to us this season is because the decisions the club's owner makes aren't just ridiculously bad, they're conducted in an unprofessional way. When Ancelotti was appointed, both Rangnick and Moyes were basically told they had the job before Moshiri and his team dicked them around and u-turned.

I don't care if we finish 17th this season and try to treat it as a clean slate. This club is heading in one direction as it stands, regardless of who's managing the team. If it doesn't happen this time under Lampard, it'll be next year or the year after.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Dyche can get fucked. I'm not having any more managerial changes. If you could guarantee me safety right now in exchange for giving Lampard the boot already then I'd choose The Championship. This squad has become absolutely unmanageable because of how many different managers and directors of football have had their input into it without being able to see the job through for more than a couple of years.

Half of the reason Benitez and Lampard were the options available to us this season is because the decisions the club's owner makes aren't just ridiculously bad, they're conducted in an unprofessional way. When Ancelotti was appointed, both Rangnick and Moyes were basically told they had the job before Moshiri and his team dicked them around and u-turned.

I don't care if we finish 17th this season and try to treat it as a clean slate. This club is heading in one direction as it stands, regardless of who's managing the team. If it doesn't happen this time under Lampard, it'll be next year or the year after.

I said if it didnt work out with Lampard. I didn't say you should sack him, even if you get relegated I don't think you should sack him. But if it goes disastrously wrong next season then dyche would be a good choice I think. Hes proven he can commit long term as well. If he played attractive football you would want him. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I said if it didnt work out with Lampard. I didn't say you should sack him, even if you get relegated I don't think you should sack him. But if it goes disastrously wrong next season then dyche would be a good choice I think. Hes proven he can commit long term as well. If he played attractive football you would want him. 

It's not about whether I want or don't want Dyche or anyone else. I'm sick of evaluating potential managers. I'm sick of Everton, frankly.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not about whether I want or don't want Dyche or anyone else. I'm sick of evaluating potential managers. I'm sick of Everton, frankly.

Thats fair enough mate. I want Lampard to do well. I like Lampard I like everton. I'm just saying if he doesn't do well I think dyche would be a good choice 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Dyche would probably be a good fit at Everton but there's plenty of Evertonian's who think they're above someone like him.

It's not about being above someone like him. It's about the club's stated ambition being to move toward the European spots, even if the current situation makes a mockery of that ambition. Dyche doesn't play the type of football that's typically successful at the top end of modern football. That's why we wouldn't want him and it's the main reason we never wanted Benitez (as much as you lot wanted to convince yourselves otherwise). Ancelotti's style of play was found out for the same reasons.

The organisation, discipline and determination Dyche needs from his players is cripplingly absent from our squad as well. I get why people would call it a good fit because he's got similarities to Moyes but things have changed a lot since then.

You can stop chatting shit about our fans as well as if them not wanting Dyche for very easily explainable reasons has anything to do with whether or not Everton would actually go for him though. The fans don't decide the manager. Although we're probably the only club in world football who would be better off if the owner made all of his decisions based off Twitter polls of fans than off his own "expertise".

The fanbase is the last thing that needs criticising about Everton.