talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Weren't Chelsea a shambles defensively with him at the helm?

Isn't being decent defensively a big part in avoiding surviving relegation?

6 hours ago, Stan said:

I seem to recall @Cicero mentioning this regularly. That and in-game management lacking, like making subs late or at the wrong time.

Yeah our defensive shape his first season was awful. Kepa highly responsible for a lot of goals as well. The second season was much improved and I believe we either kept a clean sheet or conceded just a goal every game from October until the standard Chelsea "Disaster December". 

I think Lampard’s could be a decent manager for Everton. Don’t think he’ll necessarily break doors down, but I think over the course of this season and next he could have them playing decent football that’s on the positive side of midtable which let’s be fair is something for Everton atm. Plus he’s pretty big on youth so it could mean he puts together a squad with a solid youth aspect to it.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

Lampard would be an absolute terrible appointment. I hope it happens. 

I dunno? At the very least he'll probably have the pulling power to attract some pretty good players which could bode well for them in the future!

I don't think Lampard is anything special as a manager but I think Everton could do worse.

Well well well.

I have a new found respect for Wayne Rooney, which is really annoying given he's done his best to be pretty dislikeable in the past.

For him to turn down the chance to go back and manage his boyhood club in the Premier League and see the job through at Derby given the position they are in, with his hands tied behind his back, well that deserves the utmost respect for me.

Could easily have jumped ship, and I'm sure he thought about it, but you can tell he's got the bit between his teeth with this whole Derby thing and wants to finish the job.

Kudos to him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

Forgive me if I take the hot takes of Liverpool fans and their "Benitez will be the best Everton manager in a generation" with a pinch of salt or three. xD

I don't think it's a hot take to look how he did in his last job, see his weaknesses, and think that might not be the best fit for a club that's got a squad best described as unbalanced.

Who knows how he'll do. Tbf Rafa was doing decently before your star striker was got a serious injury. I think most managers would struggle with that squad and not having DCL for as long as he's been out. Maybe he'll inject some much needed confidence into the side & perhaps the Digne sale was necessary just from an FFP perspective and he'll be able to bring a player or two in before the window shuts.

But in my opinion, I'm not sure this helps Everton in the immediate - he might be a good appointment long term tbf, we've not really seen how a manager does long-term at Everton since Moyes.

With his defensive record, you'd be hoping to at least see a more free scoring Everton because improving blueshite firepower up front is the only way I see results improving.

And while I love Rafa, he's not really a man-manager at all. No idea what Lampard's like with his players, but I think many Everton players probably need balance managing them mentally as well as getting his ideas for how they need to perform on the pitch rather than just expect them to be able to get on with their jobs on the pitch. And tbf, a lot of clubs need that - we certainly did imo.

But at the end of the day I think it's a big job for any manager - let alone one with limited experience and who's never been in this sort of position before. It's a different sort of pressure for him, so who knows how it'll go. It could be shit, it could be great, it could just be somewhere in between shit and great (probably the most likely option because that's between two extremes xD).

Certainly his appointment should do well to wash away some of the toxicity of Rafa's appointment. They've removed a man they hated, they've told the board to fuck off the Portuguese guy and actually been listened to.

And from many blueshite's perspective, it's someone we hate who also hates us... which is probably ideal for them as it gives them someone they can relate to in the position.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Well well well.

I have a new found respect for Wayne Rooney, which is really annoying given he's done his best to be pretty dislikeable in the past.

For him to turn down the chance to go back and manage his boyhood club in the Premier League and see the job through at Derby given the position they are in, with his hands tied behind his back, well that deserves the utmost respect for me.

Could easily have jumped ship, and I'm sure he thought about it, but you can tell he's got the bit between his teeth with this whole Derby thing and wants to finish the job.

Kudos to him.

I think from a personal perspective, showing Derby some loyalty here does a lot for his career. If he manages to keep Derby up with the position they are in, he's done wonders for his reputation. And other prospective employers will see that loyalty and think "this guy stuck by a club while they were in the absolute shit, he'll be committed with us."

I also think there's something to be said about being relatively grounded and maybe knowing you might not be ready for a job. If your boyhood club asks you to save them... and you fail because you aren't up to it... it's going to feel incredibly shit. And realistically, there's going to be a massive difference between what he's doing at Derby and trying to get Everton looking good again.

I'm sure he'd love to be the Everton manager, but he probably doesn't want to take that job and fail early on in his career. His reputation of being a dumb cunt might be overblown, but it's definitely a reputation that exists... failure too early in his career might ruin his image for prospective employers in the future. He's got a career to think about long term.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Lampard loved Barkley so I reckon a loan move happens before deadline. For the sake of his career he needs to accept a wage cut. 

On 27/01/2022 at 16:46, RondónEFC said:

This is why we need a 🤮 reaction to posts.

• Haha 1

• Administrator

Just seen Rooney refused the opportunity. Got some respect for that decision. Can't have been easy in his situation being at a cash-strapped Derby and with the chance to escape to a Premier League side. Not many would turn that down. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, shut up said:

Lampard is a good manager tbh. Chelsea were only 4/5 points off top 4 when he was sacked, i think 

I just hope he doesn't convince DCL to stay :ph34r:

Apparently the asking price for Calvert-Lewin is £60m, Arteta is a big admirer and Arsenal are willing to more or less meet that valuation. If that's all true I'd take it to be honest.

I think Frank Lampard is a good choice. If he is 100% confirmed. IMO, Everton need a manager who is fresh, enthusiastic, super keen to succeed & will instantly have the respect of players who watched him play when they were still kids.

If Lampard had been in charge at Chelsea this season I doubt he'd still be there right now. I don't see it as huge point against him that it went 'badly' there.

Interesting.

Great football pedigree, probably the greatest Chelsea midfielder and one of the best of his generation. High Mensa rating and has a lot of experience playing under some very successful managers.

At Chelsea think he wanted to play a back four yet our defensive midfield and centre backs were used to a back three and the board did not want to buy his preferred options.

At Everton I would expect him to buy a couple of players, probably from the Championship that he can motivate and to provide competition to the existing players.

I'll certain take more than a passing interest now. 

• Subscriber

Some random bullshit.

Frank Lampard has played under Everton's previous two managers.

He is older that Kendall, Moyes, Catterick, Martinez and Silva all were when appointed Everton manager.

Last night I was disappointed to learn that 'Lampard is a Tory' is actually based on something he said as a younger player not just one of those made up things because he's from Chelsea and he looks/sounds a bit posh. Hopefully being around the city of Liverpool sorts him out.

Im shocked Steve Bruce will miss out yet again,  and by miss out not even get mentioned.     The way the media chumps like Merson and co spoke about Bruce's sacking like he was a godsend,  you would think Bruce would have a job by now.

If Bruce holds out a little longer he may get the Sunderland job.