talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m pretty sure Rafa had more PPG than Fat Frank though

I think that was true for a couple of weeks by about 0.05ppg but not by the end. I might be wrong. I don't particularly care anymore. Rafa probably wouldn't have got us relegated either... maybe, it was more the fact that he was setting fire to any structure the club had actually managed to sustain through the Moshiri years that made it urgent business to get rid of him.

Anyway, the betting industry is bad, definitely. EGaming is a major industry on the Isle of Man and I have a couple of friends who work in the sector. One of them works for a company who provide one of those massive gym/leisure areas in the building with games consoles lying around they can use as much as they want and said "they give us those perks to try and stop us from thinking too much about how we're getting paid to design games that trick people with gambling addictions to give us more of their money". I don't blame the workers on the ground so much because you've got to earn a living, but man it's unsavoury when you lay it out like that.

I know most big money advertisers in football and other sports are generally less than reputable but sponsorship deals make up a smaller percentage of revenue than they used to thanks to broadcast deals. One of our recent deals was £12m for a year and I just thought, it simply isn't that much to a football club in the Premier League. Make a statement and put the club charity on the shirt. It'll never happen though even if the club hadn't fucked themselves into a dreadful financial position turning it into a simple case of selling to the highest bidder. We'd only go and spend that £12m on someone shite anyway.

That Rudd is still a wrong 'un though. Nothing stopping her and other journalists writing a thoughtful piece on the unhealthy relationship between gambling sponsorship and football but she's chosen to have a pop at an individual club instead because it'll probably get more clicks but then I suppose that's just her making a living too.

23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think that was true for a couple of weeks by about 0.05ppg but not by the end. I might be wrong. I don't particularly care anymore. Rafa probably wouldn't have got us relegated either... maybe, it was more the fact that he was setting fire to any structure the club had actually managed to sustain through the Moshiri years that made it urgent business to get rid of him.

Anyway, the betting industry is bad, definitely. EGaming is a major industry on the Isle of Man and I have a couple of friends who work in the sector. One of them works for a company who provide one of those massive gym/leisure areas in the building with games consoles lying around they can use as much as they want and said "they give us those perks to try and stop us from thinking too much about how we're getting paid to design games that trick people with gambling addictions to give us more of their money". I don't blame the workers on the ground so much because you've got to earn a living, but man it's unsavoury when you lay it out like that.

I know most big money advertisers in football and other sports are generally less than reputable but sponsorship deals make up a smaller percentage of revenue than they used to thanks to broadcast deals. One of our recent deals was £12m for a year and I just thought, it simply isn't that much to a football club in the Premier League. Make a statement and put the club charity on the shirt. It'll never happen though even if the club hadn't fucked themselves into a dreadful financial position turning it into a simple case of selling to the highest bidder. We'd only go and spend that £12m on someone shite anyway.

That Rudd is still a wrong 'un though. Nothing stopping her and other journalists writing a thoughtful piece on the unhealthy relationship between gambling sponsorship and football but she's chosen to have a pop at an individual club instead because it'll probably get more clicks but then I suppose that's just her making a living too.

Yeah idk anything about Rudd’s history but I don’t have much respect for most sports journalists because they do things like that - have a pop at certain clubs for clicks. It’s actually ironic a bit if you think about it - having a go at an industry exploiting addictive behaviors for money… when the news has sort of done the same thing for the internet, figuring out certain stories and headlines create addictive and emotive reactions so they get the most clicks for the most ad revenue…

I think if they’re gonna have gambling and/crypto sponsors, they might as well allow cigarette and vaping sponsors. And they obviously shouldn’t be doing that.

I agree that it would be better seeing clubs support local charities - but they never will. When Barca did that with UNICEF it seemed cool at first, but really what they were doing was normalising a shirt sponsor while they sold that space like all the clubs before them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

This is what gets lost in the edgy "Congrats to Frank Lampard for taking Everton from 16th to 16th this season" hot takes.

We might not have been in the relegation zone but the club was in a death spiral and the rut of confidence was worse than anything I've seen before at Everton. We would have finished 18th or 19th if we'd carried on that trajectory.

Not using it as an excuse to have another dig at Benitez but his man management style could not have been a worse fit for the players in our squad. Still an absolutely mental appointment by Moshiri and another reason why we have to hope this takeover talk goes somewhere.

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Happy 👋 day to Tosun, Sigurdsson and Delph.

What if Sigurdsson is cleared of all charges though, which may be the case July 16th, would be interesting if a side took a punt on him and he comes back to haunt. 

12 hours ago, DNA said:

What if Sigurdsson is cleared of all charges though, which may be the case July 16th, would be interesting if a side took a punt on him and he comes back to haunt. 

He'll be 33 this year. Irrespective of the case, I don't think he had a future at Everton anyway.

It's time to look at younger, hungrier players who can be the mainstays in the team the next 3 to 4 years.

• Subscriber

With the season starting in less than 4 weeks and the first team squad just jetting off to the US this week, the lack of signings, or at best the lateness of them, is becoming a cause for concern.

Assuming Lampard trusts Patterson as first choice right back for the season ahead, rumour is he wants two midfielders and a versatile attacker, which to be fair, is exactly what I'd say we need. An all action midfield player, a ball playing midfielder to boost our control of possession and a replacement for Richarlison.

Morgan Gibbs-White sounds like it could be on. Armando Broja has been linked but others are interested. Not heard anything about Dennis for a few days. Still wishing we'd get a bit more creative and try scouting outside of the Premier League...

• Subscriber

Just watching a bit of our friendly with Arsenal. Been out boozing so not in an optimal state of analysis but this is really poor from us. Arsenal bagging a couple in the last 15 minutes. Only a friendly of course but far too easy for them to keep possession and pass through us. Looks like they've been at pre season for a couple of weeks and we've just started.

• Subscriber

We lost 4-0 to Minnesota out in the US overnight xD. That in itself doesn't really matter, it's still just a friendly. I've seen us have great pre-seasons and start the season like shit and I've seen us have pre-seasons where we've barely scored a goal and go on to qualify for Europe.

It is tipping some of the negativity over the edge though, and understandably. We need to get a couple of signings in the door. We haven't replaced Richarlison and our midfield still isn't up to standard. Right now, if we can't sort out the transfers we need, I'm very much in a place that if someone offered me a boring 14th place or something I'd take it just to avoid the stress of another relegation scrap.

I'm also finding it really hard to get arsed about this pre-season or the season ahead. We have absolutely no chance of even flirting with Europe as it stands which has never been the case for me as an Everton fan since I was old enough to follow football properly. Moshiri's statement asked the fans to judge when the transfer window closes in September but he's been at the club for 7 years and taken us entirely backwards. He doesn't deserve patience and nor do the rest of the board.

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

We lost 4-0 to Minnesota out in the US overnight xD. That in itself doesn't really matter, it's still just a friendly. I've seen us have great pre-seasons and start the season like shit and I've seen us have pre-seasons where we've barely scored a goal and go on to qualify for Europe.

It is tipping some of the negativity over the edge though, and understandably. We need to get a couple of signings in the door. We haven't replaced Richarlison and our midfield still isn't up to standard. Right now, if we can't sort out the transfers we need, I'm very much in a place that if someone offered me a boring 14th place or something I'd take it just to avoid the stress of another relegation scrap.

I'm also finding it really hard to get arsed about this pre-season or the season ahead. We have absolutely no chance of even flirting with Europe as it stands which has never been the case for me as an Everton fan since I was old enough to follow football properly. Moshiri's statement asked the fans to judge when the transfer window closes in September but he's been at the club for 7 years and taken us entirely backwards. He doesn't deserve patience and nor do the rest of the board.

I haven't even seen any of the reliable Merseyside football journos link you with anyone other than Tarkowski (who you've already signed) - seems a bit strange because obviously replacing the Richarlison is probably the most important thing for Everton this summer & yeah that midfield could do with a bit of reinforcement as well.

Moshiri's statement just invites more pressure on him, tbh. First floating the idea of being willing to sell the club, when in reality... I don't think he really was looking to sell, just looking to get a bit of pressure off his back before saying "nah, I'm keeping the club" - then not really being all that active after selling one of the few players who actually look like they gave a fuck about playing for Everton. Like you said, it's not just one bad summer for him - it's been years of mismanagement all under his watch. He's going to be under pressure, rightly,  until he can show anyone that he's capable of getting things right.

Losing Richarlison to Spurs is a huge loss as he was their best player. Everton really need to bring in some decent players to strengthen their team, otherwise they could be great danger of being relegated this upcoming season.

49 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think he's rubbish. A lot of my bluenose friends think he's generally bad, but when he's got the right CB partner he looks a lot better. Idk if @RandoEFC agrees with that or not.

Tarkowski is a much better defender than Keane. I've never rated Keane that highly as a defender.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Is Michael Keane good?

Also, is Minnesota United's badge one of the best in football?

Keane is a bizarre player because he's good sometimes and shite sometimes but not in one of those ways where a player is generally good but has a game or two in every ten where he has a nightmare. He'll have 2 months where he keeps his nose clean then 3 months where he's awful every week and so on and so on.

I'm pretty sure Tarkowski is better than Keane just because he's actually consistent. I'd also rate Mina, Godfrey and usually Holgate above Keane as well so ideally we should be getting him sold but he'll be one of those players who we've inexplicably extended his contract to 2026 on 80k a week after he put together a good run of 6-8 games which obviously means we can't get rid of him because that's how this owner operates.

The Minnesota badge is certainly unique but personally not to my taste.

@Dr. Gonzo I was more gutted by the breakdown of the takeover talks than Richarlison leaving. Obviously the latter is worse but the false hope of the former compared to the resignation of selling one of our best players has just left me feeling pretty disinterested in this season because as long as Moshiri and Kenwright are around there's not going to be a big picture or pathway to get behind.

We have been linked with plenty of players though, just not got far enough to make Paul Joyce's radar and others like him. We were in for Emanuel Dennis but talks broke down. Currently working on a deal for Cornet but we won't even pay his £17m release clause in one go apparently so it looks like even selling Richarlison hasn't even given us room to manoeuvre FFP wise. Also looking at a midfielder from somewhere like Wolfsburg called something like Franckx who sounds good. It's probably a bigger priority than replacing Richarlison to be honest because a Gray-DCL-Gordon attack has enough about it not to be horrendous whereas a midfield containing Allan, Davies and/or Gomes on a weekly basis will see us bang in the mix at the bottom again this season. The right back situation is also fully dependent on Patterson hitting the ground running this season after missing last year's run in due to injury, otherwise we're asking Coleman to play regularly again and I just can't with that for another season.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Blackpool 2-4 Everton. A reasonably good outing from what I saw. Conceded a sloppy set piece goal which needs to not become a habit after it fucked us last season. Some good attacking play with the wing backs heavily involved. Two assists for right back Patterson and a goal and assist for left back Mykolenko. Alli with a confidence boosting brace. Tarkowski also a standout performer in defence. Much needed improvement on the performances out in the US.

• Upvote 1