talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ballon d'Or 2018 Winner: Luka Modrić

football forum

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messi and Ronaldo are victims of their own success really. However, the award was initially intended for the most influential player throughout the course of the year. Doesn't always mean the 'best footballer'. However, the terminology of this award has been shifted/changed for marketing purposes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Ballon d'Or 2018: male and female winners to be announced on Monday

30 November 2018 | European Football

The men's Ballon d'Or winner will be announced on Monday - and an inaugural female victor will be named too.

There are 30 candidates on the shortlist for the male award, including 11 Premier League players, Lionel Messi and current holder Cristiano Ronaldo.

England's Lucy Bronze and Fran Kirby are among the 15-woman shortlist.

France Football has awarded the prestigious prize to the best male player every year since 1956, adding a women's award this year.

Barcelona captain Messi and Juventus forward Ronaldo - formerly of Manchester United and Real Madrid - have won the past 10 Ballons d'Or between them. Kaka, in 2007, was the winner that preceded them.

Real Madrid and Croatia midfielder Luka Modric is the odds-on favourite with bookmakers to add the Ballon d'Or to the Fifa Best Men's Player award he picked up in September.

For the first time, there is also a youth award, the Kopa Trophy, with Liverpool and England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold on the 10-man shortlist.

The ceremony will start at 20:00 GMT and will be hosted by David Ginola in Paris.

Before we reveal the full 30-man shortlist, can you name the seven players to finish highest - excluding Messi and Ronaldo - every year for the past decade?

Nine finished third behind the pair, with the 2010 answer finishing second and Ronaldo down in sixth that year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46394513

Modric definitely didn't deserve to win this as I don't think he was even that good in 2018. This whole thing seems to be based on 2 or 3 good games at the World Cup. It is just an award though, so who really cares?

The bigger story is that the host (I think) apparently asked the winner of the Women's Ballon d'Or if she can twerk... Hope he enjoys the rest of the night because they'll be after him tomorrow. xD

• Administrator
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Modric definitely didn't deserve to win this as I don't think he was even that good in 2018. This whole thing seems to be based on 2 or 3 good games at the World Cup. It is just an award though, so who really cares?

The bigger story is that the host (I think) apparently asked the winner of the Women's Ballon d'Or if she can twerk... Hope he enjoys the rest of night because they'll be after him tomorrow. xD

Yeah saw a clip of that. Utterly ridiculous xD

Love that she straight up said 'no!' and just turned around and walked off. 

Uncalled for though. He's gonna get slaughtered. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

The World Cup and Champions League ruins this award. A consistent season and carrying your team becomes irrelevant. Messi 5th is ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, JOSHBRFC said:

The World Cup and Champions League ruins this award. A consistent season and carrying your team becomes irrelevant. Messi 5th is ridiculous.

In fairness, the World Cup and Champions League are both tournaments of high prestige. If you don't do well in those, then what's the point?

The league is important but the real test is against top opposition in the UCL, or when everyone is watching at the World Cup.

6 hours ago, Blue said:

In fairness, the World Cup and Champions League are both tournaments of high prestige. If you don't do well in those, then what's the point?

The league is important but the real test is against top opposition in the UCL, or when everyone is watching at the World Cup.

Totally agree with this. I'll go further. 

If a player played only 6 games all year being the world cup,  and was the best player in every one of them and his team won the trophy... for me give him the ballon dor award because everything messi did all season in la liga mattered a lot less than winning that tournament...

I think the award is definitely about inspiration which is why standing up to be counted in the world cup or getting a lot of football fans wet between the legs like mbappe did counts a lot in the voters minds.

Not gonna lie, but I'm not that against Messi being 5th. I just haven't been that impressed. He's easily the most complete football on the planet but he's very hit and miss at least compared to the old days. He goes from having a stormer that basically guarantees his team a win, to just a normal performance that isn't necessarily bad, but doesn't lead his team to a win.

That said, he should at least be higher as Griezmann who for me really wasn't all that good. The Europa league isn't a Ballon D'Or competition and he really disappointed me at the World Cup. Kante, Mbappe, Varane and Pavard were better for me in that tournament. Not sure about La Liga, but if we're talking on those terms then Messi was better I would guess.

Mbappe, Ronaldo and Modric would be my top 3. Sure Mbappe hasn't been all that impressive in the UCL, but there is no one else I would put there. He was good enough for me. Salah would have been my third choice if he continued his marvellous form but he seems to have dropped since his UCL final injury.

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

Not gonna lie, but I'm not that against Messi being 5th. I just haven't been that impressed. He's easily the most complete football on the planet but he's very hit and miss at least compared to the old days. He goes from having a stormer that basically guarantees his team a win, to just a normal performance that isn't necessarily bad, but doesn't lead his team to a win.

That said, he should at least be higher as Griezmann who for me really wasn't all that good. The Europa league isn't a Ballon D'Or competition and he really disappointed me at the World Cup. Kante, Mbappe, Varane and Pavard were better for me in that tournament. Not sure about La Liga, but if we're talking on those terms then Messi was better I would guess.

Mbappe, Ronaldo and Modric would be my top 3. Sure Mbappe hasn't been all that impressive in the UCL, but there is no one else I would put there. He was good enough for me. Salah would have been my third choice if he continued his marvellous form but he seems to have dropped since his UCL final injury.

The problem where Messi is concerned is that he can only be compared against himself because as you said and everyone well knows, he is Infact the best player on the planet.

So when I say that Messi can only be compared with Messi, when Leo has what is recognised as a normal game, he's having a normal game being compared with Leo...  His normality is still a big cut above anything else out there when they're normal.

That's the difference.

Just now, SirBalon said:

The problem where Messi is concerned is that he can only be compared against himself because as you said and everyone well knows, he is Infact the best player on the planet.

So when I say that Messi can only be compared with Messi, when Leo has what is recognised as a normal game, he's having a normal game being compared with Leo...  His normality is still a big cut above anything else out there when they're normal.

That's the difference.

I agree. As I mentioned above though, if you don't stand out in the UCL and the World Cup then you aren't winning Ballon D'Or.

I'm not sure if I think 5th is harsh. The problem for me is being below Griezmann who definitely didn't warrant 3rd place.

Where Neymar is concerned... He was warned that he would be moving to an invisible league where the Ballon d'Or is concerned... It's sad, but it's simply just a fact!

His domestic performances and flashes in last season's Champions League were much of the same as that which he produced at Barça where he ended up on an individual sense where this award is concerned in the top 3.  Now he's regressed to 12th.

So much for Le Project and doing something for himself.  As for his World Cup display... Much is spoken about Messi for Argentina who has payed in 2 Copa América Finals and 1 World Cup Final while at 26 and 30 by the time the next World Cup comes along Neymar hasn't done anything. This past World Cup one can only attribute to him that he was a sprinkler system for every stadium he played in with his tears of impotence and falseness.

On 20/11/2018 at 15:06, Cicero said:

Messi and Ronaldo are victims of their own success really. However, the award was initially intended for the most influential player throughout the course of the year. Doesn't always mean the 'best footballer'. However, the terminology of this award has been shifted/changed for marketing purposes. 

Not really, or the Real Ronaldo wouldn't have won it in 97, C.Ronaldo wouldn't have won 3 of the ones he has won and Messi wouldn't have won 1 of the ones he has won.

There really is no criteria for this award. A player will win it for one reason one year and a different player will win it for entirely a different reason the next.

Modric deserved t his one though if you ask me, although 2nd and 3rd were laughable options really. With this said, nobody remembers 2nd or 3rd, so it's not really relevant.

Archived