talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

• Administrator

As long as they keep semi-automated offsides and goalline technology then I'll be happy. 

Most people know I've been a big proponent of VAR but how it's been in the last 12-18 months there's just not been enough improvement, consistency or common sense when it's used. Too many mistakes occurring now and too many hollow apologies. 

2 minutes ago, 6666 said:

It also increases the amount of wrong decisions and the amount of cheating from players. Imagine these referees without the option to look at things again. The answer to referees being shit isn't to trust them more.

If it were down to me I'd sack the lot of them rather than scrap VAR. At the end of the day, I think most of the problems with PMGOL are institutional - VAR isn't the problem, the referees are the problem and the system where referees go through is failing them.

PMGOL's never going to do that though, it's an old boys club.

Personally I would rather someone gets away with cheating than a referee looks at any number of the incompetent decisions we have seen this year and decide they are the opposite of what they see on screen. At least with cheating it's part of the game, it's part of getting one over on your opponent, a clattering foul, a dive, whatever, I would much rather that than watch referees go to a screen, see the answer is A and come away and award B. Not only are they getting decisions wrong that they have no excuse for getting wrong, but they are also ruining the match day experience. The flow of the game, the celebrations.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

Personally I would rather someone gets away with cheating than a referee looks at any number of the incompetent decisions we have seen this year and decide they are the opposite of what they see on screen. At least with cheating it's part of the game, it's part of getting one over on your opponent, a clattering foul, a dive, whatever, I would much rather that than watch referees go to a screen, see the answer is A and come away and award B. Not only are they getting decisions wrong that they have no excuse for getting wrong, but they are also ruining the match day experience. The flow of the game, the celebrations.

Goals being disallowed isn't a new concept.

And VAR era incorrect decisions are nothing compared to how things were before. 

A penalty being given for a foul outside the box, the wrong player being booked, a dive with no contact, an unseen handball. It'll at least be fun to see how many times these forgotten things turn back up and it'll be a nice experiment to see how long everyone stays happy without VAR.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, 6666 said:

A penalty being given for a foul outside the box, the wrong player being booked, a dive with no contact, an unseen handball. It'll at least be fun to see how many times these forgotten things turn back up and it'll be a nice experiment to see how long everyone stays happy without VAR.

The biggest thing is not being able to celebrate a goal fully or properly because you know there'll be a pause. 

And one way to appease the fans would be to have replays or videos shown at stadiums so fans know what exactly the decision-making process is. Everything currently is geared towards fans out of the stadium as opposed to inside it. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

The biggest thing is not being able to celebrate a goal fully or properly because you know there'll be a pause. 

And one way to appease the fans would be to have replays or videos shown at stadiums so fans know what exactly the decision-making process is. Everything currently is geared towards fans out of the stadium as opposed to inside it. 

That would be a much better step to take in my opinion.

I can't see the proposal vote getting 14 votes to be honest.

Here's a reminder of what honourary mason member Anthony Taylor gave as a penalty without the assistance of VAR this season.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Subscriber

It really should be a benefit for officials to have more technology to help them make the correct decisions but this lot are so awful that I don't think they'll ever get it right. I'd rather see them sack it off completely. I don't think it'll happen sadly.

10 hours ago, 6666 said:

But you can’t have the technology that allows you to categorically see what is wrong with a call on the pitch and then consistently have refs who fail to use it correctly. It is a mind blowing level of failure. At least in real time decisions can be difficult to see and that is why a lot of decisions are called wrong, yes there will be a lot of negligence, but at this point the refs do not know how to use VAR. That is bad, that is worse than getting a call wrong in real time, that they consistently do not know how to use the technology. And who suffers the most? Fans at the game, because the passion is sucked out of it so we can watch negligence on a microscopic scale.

I think if we can get the semi-automated VAR offside calls through then use that, I think its been shown that the refs manually using VAR don’t have the correct frames to make correct decisions, decisions being made after a ball is hit and not as the ball is hit. That level of failure to be precise so we can sit there for 5 minutes waiting for a call just cannot happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

PL Clubs have voted today to keep VAR in the league.

Wolves the only club to vote against having it.

I don't want any manager at all bemoaning VAR next season on the back of that. Apart from Wolves/their manager.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

PL Clubs have voted today to keep VAR in the league.

Wolves the only club to vote against having it.

I don't want any manager at all bemoaning VAR next season on the back of that. Apart from Wolves/their manager.

VAR existing isn't something they can complain about but hopefully you don't mean that they can't disagree with decisions made by VAR because not the same thing. It's the same as complaining about an on-field referee's decisions while still knowing you need a referee.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

VAR existing isn't something they can complain about but hopefully you don't mean that they can't disagree with decisions made by VAR because not the same thing. It's the same as complaining about an on-field referee's decisions while still knowing you need a referee.

Yeah, I can appreciate that sentiment. But I wonder if the sensible thing would have been to vote it out and then wait til they bring in something better or more workable/acceptable. 

Right now I can't see how they continue with it without knowing what kind of changes they bring in. And it'd be unfair to bring anything in mid-season like they've done before. 

5 hours ago, Rick said:

Depressing outcome. Maybe the next vote Wolves should put forward is to replace all of the incompetent refs in this country. That would pass 20-0

I think it'd be 18-2, honestly. Maybe more than 2 if there's other clubs owned by people that also own other football leagues who have put an investment in paying the current refs for "side gigs."