talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Real talk. Are Bayern Munich cheaters?

Bayern Munich advanced to the final of the DFB cup last season after being awarded a late penalty for absolutely nothing with the match at 2-2. The man who commuted the 'foul' was so happy for the penalty to be awarded because he knew VAR would check it and overturn it that he stopped his teammates protesting. VAR did not review it. (apparently) The kick was awarded abd Bayern advanced. 

These stories seem to happen every few weeks with bayern. Now today we have this debacle. 

ECw6YS8X4AEBxlI?format=jpg&name=large

ECw6YsLXkAMxRup?format=jpg&name=large

We often whine and complain about favouritism but do we think it's really something deeper?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Bayern Munich advanced to the final of the DFB cup last season after being awarded a late penalty for absolutely nothing with the match at 2-2. The man who commuted the 'foul' was so happy for the penalty to be awarded because he knew VAR would check it and overturn it that he stopped his teammates protesting. VAR did not review it. (apparently) The kick was awarded abd Bayern advanced. 

These stories seem to happen every few weeks with bayern. Now today we have this debacle. 

ECw6YS8X4AEBxlI?format=jpg&name=large

ECw6YsLXkAMxRup?format=jpg&name=large

We often whine and complain about favouritism but do we think it's really something deeper?

Yes, from rigging World Cup draws to match fixing football is worse than Cricket.

• Subscriber

This is why VAR just need to be enforced as a secondary check when the ball hits any player in the box and the referee should be forced to use that review as well. In both those instances according to the letter of the law its a handball and therefore a penalty. 

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@Devil-Dick Willie if you're asking if Bayern are buying their titles like Juventus did in Italy at the end of the 9os and to the begin of this millennium, my answer is no, probably not.

I guess that is what I'm asking. They have an obvious influence over the DFB, but how deep that extends into the referees....

• Subscriber

I don't think Bayern are cheaters in the sense that they are buying results or even influencing people in charge to be favourable to them. I mean, it's never been a secret that referees often make decisions that favour "big clubs" at a subconscious level, especially in a match against significantly lower profile clubs and that's what the so-called "Bayern-Bonus" was always about for me. However, I must admit that with the introduction of VAR and the fact that despite it the given bonus still seems to exist, it does make me wonder if the officials are indeed corrupt instead of just being incompetent. Or both.

Hi gang - back from across the water where I watched without comment how the season has started.  We have the usual remarks and accustaions but the only thing I seem to have noted from the first weeks are that we are suffering from having to deal with human beings - sadly, some (or all of us ) get things wong at times and if it goes against our own thoughts we look for negative reasons - racism - can't see that in our Officials - stupid remarks which need addressing (Tonnies eg) and incompetent errors (VAR this weekend),, but if we continue to accuse and persecute like I see at some kids' weekend matches from parents against refs, the guys and now gals in charge will go home and we will be left to let the biased gang on the side take control.  Discuss, comment and dissect, but accuse of some form of deliberate bias cos it went against us - sonds like a discussion every weekend in Glasgow pubs with green and blue having a go at each other just cos they can - having just come back from the Us, the people who spoke to me (I did not start the conversations) are sick of that there at the moment and surely we don't want to end up like that!  It's a game - enjoy the result or cry after 90 awful minutes, but without the folk in the middle who will start the contest?  Re-write the lines from 'Another Brick on the Wall' - "Hey supporters, leave our Refs alone - all in all....."  Now I have to go to Manchester and hold Leroy's hand for a few minutes - or maybe weeks, or maybe months.

Nice to be home:dash3:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

Hi gang - back from across the water where I watched without comment how the season has started.  We have the usual remarks and accustaions but the only thing I seem to have noted from the first weeks are that we are suffering from having to deal with human beings - sadly, some (or all of us ) get things wong at times and if it goes against our own thoughts we look for negative reasons - racism - can't see that in our Officials - stupid remarks which need addressing (Tonnies eg) and incompetent errors (VAR this weekend),, but if we continue to accuse and persecute like I see at some kids' weekend matches from parents against refs, the guys and now gals in charge will go home and we will be left to let the biased gang on the side take control.  Discuss, comment and dissect, but accuse of some form of deliberate bias cos it went against us - sonds like a discussion every weekend in Glasgow pubs with green and blue having a go at each other just cos they can - having just come back from the Us, the people who spoke to me (I did not start the conversations) are sick of that there at the moment and surely we don't want to end up like that!  It's a game - enjoy the result or cry after 90 awful minutes, but without the folk in the middle who will start the contest?  Re-write the lines from 'Another Brick on the Wall' - "Hey supporters, leave our Refs alone - all in all....."  Now I have to go to Manchester and hold Leroy's hand for a few minutes - or maybe weeks, or maybe months.

Nice to be home:dash3:

What's acceptable in children and amateur football should not be acceptable in professional football and can't just be brushed up under the rug with the excuse of "human beings getting things wrong at times" - especially now that millions have been spent to implement technical solutions to solve the problems arising from limitations and biases of human beings. I'm sorry but if three officials on the pitch AND three or four officials at the VAR room are not able to notice the obvious despite having all the replays, camera angles and computer calibrated lines and what not at their disposal and keep on making mistakes like that then their competence - or even their impartiality - should really be questioned at some point. I mean it's a job they are getting paid for; in any other workplace mistakes inevitably lead to consequences after a while as there's such thing as accountability for one's action. What happens in professional football? An apology at best; a slap on the wrist or most commonly nothing at all. Everyone forgets it after a while and nothing changes; and the same mistakes happen again and again. 

• Subscriber
On 24/08/2019 at 20:15, Mel81x said:

This is why VAR just need to be enforced as a secondary check when the ball hits any player in the box and the referee should be forced to use that review as well. In both those instances according to the letter of the law its a handball and therefore a penalty. 

I remember the pause for the second play (free kick with Perisic in the wall) because the ball went out of bounds for a corner, was generally shocked that a penalty wasnt given. I dont remember If the Pavard play was reviewed or not I think so? but thats whats more puzzling if they're reviewing those plays I dont understand how those werent called. 

I think nudge's interpretation is most accurate with the favouring but post VAR there just isnt an excuse anymore It should take that right out of their hands. 

Sorry nudge - I agree entirely with what you have said and perhaps I did not make clear the thought I had that one person should never take the flack for the combination of errors that happened last week-end - the mistake by a Professional ref is now checked by VAR Officials and if they fail to do it properly I find it hard to accept total and bad-mouth blame on the one person who failed to spot a hand ball or a foul or an offside with all the other things he has to watch in the instant of play.  They - and indeed us - are learning this system together and there will be problems - hopefully only at first, but to pile the blame on one individual cannot be correct - maybe even not morally acceptable.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I remember the pause for the second play (free kick with Perisic in the wall) because the ball went out of bounds for a corner, was generally shocked that a penalty wasnt given. I dont remember If the Pavard play was reviewed or not I think so? but thats whats more puzzling if they're reviewing those plays I dont understand how those werent called. 

I think nudge's interpretation is most accurate with the favouring but post VAR there just isnt an excuse anymore It should take that right out of their hands. 

Maybe its the usage of the system that needs to change. Right now, the man on the pitch still calls the shot and blows the whistle. Take that out of their hands and I guarantee we're not seeing as much ambiguity anymore. Maybe we'll see a new trend emerge where refs have to be more vigilant than they already are but this whole 'discussion' of events to come to a conclusion is causing more problems than solving them. There are laws to govern the game and they should be followed, the technology is an aid to help that and it does its job fairly well. For years, fans watching on TVs have screamed foul when they see a replay and now the VR team can see it but its merely a suggestion to a guy who has half or less of an insight into the situation? That's what has to change.

Archived