talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forums

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Like you said, this isn't a rave, a party, a concert, a sporting event, or any other social gathering. It was a funeral and I couldn't imagine losing someone very close to me during this pandemic and telling people that they can't come and pay their respects. 

It must be devastating. I'm glad I haven't had to go through it.

But it was worse here in April/May when lockdown was at it's highest. It wasn't even 30 people. It was (I think) up to 4 people allowed to attend, socially distanced. I couldn't bear to think what that'd be like. Then you had politicians breaching lockdown rules left, right and centre with barely any consequence. It made a mockery of it all and just added to the pain in some way for those people who couldn't attend funerals. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

This is positive though. Still TBC and still pleny of work to be done by sounds of it but a very promising start for finding a successful vaccine to combat COVID.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839

A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and trains the immune system.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and white blood cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.

How does the vaccine work?

The vaccine - called ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 - is being developed at unprecedented speed.

It is made from a genetically engineered virus that causes the common cold in chimpanzees.

It has been heavily modified, first so it cannot cause infections in people and also to make it "look" more like coronavirus.

Scientists did this by transferring the genetic instructions for the coronavirus's "spike protein" - the crucial tool it uses to invade our cells - to the vaccine they were developing.

This means the vaccine resembles the coronavirus and the immune system can learn how to attack it.

What are antibodies and T-cells?

Much of the focus on coronavirus so far has been about antibodies, but these are only one part of our immune defence.

Antibodies are small proteins made by the immune system that stick onto the surface of viruses.

Neutralising antibodies can disable the coronavirus.

T-cells, a type of white blood cell, help coordinate the immune system and are able to spot which of the body's cells have been infected and destroy them.

Nearly all effective vaccines induce both an antibody and a T-cell response.

Levels of T cells peaked 14 days after vaccination and antibody levels peaked after 28 days. The study has not run for long enough to understand what long-term immunity may look like.

Is it safe?

Yes, but there are side-effects.

There were no dangerous side-effects from taking the vaccine, however, 70% of people on the trial developed either fever or headache.

The researchers say this could be managed with paracetamol.

Prof Sarah Gilbert, form the University of Oxford, UK, says: "There is still much work to be done before we can confirm if our vaccine will help manage the COVID-19 pandemic, but these early results hold promise."

15 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Corona has really made me indifferent to politics, i already despised it for the obvious reasons but still considered it relevant but almost every fucking government rich or poor has been so incompetent in handling this crisis. 

That’s because so many people don’t give a shit about politics so you get in people that are only really in it to enrich themselves. People who don’t give a shit about politics are easy to manipulate and that’s how you end up with governments that are incompetent in every regard except for being corrupt.

• Upvote 1

This country really does take the piss doesn't it?

"Pay-rises for people in the public sector" they say and then you find out that this doesn't include nursers, carers or supermarket workers(or anyone in the food sector in general), etc. The people who really kept the country going through shite times. Just a kick in the balls that.

Police have been in the media for weeks for kneeling on people's heads, tazering innocent men at garages who are with their families, stopping people in nice cars because they are black, etc and they get a pay rise? Wow, what a country.

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

This country really does take the piss doesn't it?

"Pay-rises for people in the public sector" they say and then you find out that this doesn't include nursers, carers or supermarket workers(or anyone in the food sector in general), etc. The people who really kept the country going through shite times. Just a kick in the balls that.

Police have been in the media for weeks for kneeling on people's heads, tazering innocent men at garages who are with their families, stopping people in nice cars because they are black, etc and they get a pay rise? Wow, what a country.

That's quite a narrow way to look at it, to be honest. 

There's probably hundreds, or probably thousands of police officers who approached danger and stopped it in a time where public were breaking rules and gathering in crowds etc. You say been in the media for weeks for kneeling on people's heads and tasering men at garages. They were isolated incidents and don't (I hope) represent the whole of the police force they work for. 

Police officers deserve a pay rise. You can't not give it to them just because of the actions of one or two. Also, that police officer who knelt on the guys head (who was carrying a knife) was promptly dealt with so it doesn't affect him, does it? 

That's like saying doctors shouldn't get a pay rise because of those that were responsible for the maternity scandal on Shropshire. Doesn't fit, does it? 

The police do ridiculous amounts of extra work that doesn't get reported on. Think of all the domestic violence cases they tend to. The people who get stabbed and how they go searching and arresting these criminals. Everyone clamours for them to get paid more when they're the first people on the scene at terror attacks. Their penchant for running to danger, like fire officers, ambulance paramedics, instead of running away from it is commendable. 

Also, nurses are exempt from this payrise announced because they agreed to one previously in 2018 for a set amount of years. I get the sentiment though given the risks they've put themselves on to in the current situation. 

Supermarkets are in the private sector so wouldn't be included. They would get separate pay rises based on their company policies. They're not run by the government. 

This isn't to say that I don't think they kept the country going. They of course did their part. But so did many others. 

2 hours ago, Eco said:

This made me chuckle, and then cry. 

Photo explaining social distancing differences between USA and Canada. 

fb2c01eb7a622a7d2c540f78c79c51b0

Canada is like that European brother that somehow accidentally got left in North America. 

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So a middle aged man in Krefeld, Germany who was "cured" from Covid 19 died of Organ failure a few days after he was declared cured. 

Sadly, there have been quite a few similar cases in numerous countries... :( 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Tommy said:

So a middle aged man in Krefeld, Germany who was "cured" from Covid 19 died of Organ failure a few days after he was declared cured. 

The same thing happened to my neighbor. Big fat guy who just got home from several weeks on a ventilator, but was deemed “cured.” Heart attack is what killed him, they say.

• Administrator

Not just Leicester in local lockdowns now.

Greater Manchester, Blackburn, Burnley & Bradford all in lockdown now too. 

The announcement being made at 9.30pm last night coming in to effect at midnight just a few hours later. And the announcement was done on Twitter, not in the way of any press conference or official means.

You can't meet another household in their home, however pubs and restaurants remain open. 

Hancock contradicted his own and government's advice already this morning.

There has been an uptick in cases in Europe but most importantly hospitals are not seeing a corresponding uptick in patients. There is a lag but given this has been the case for a week I'd suggest either the people contracting the disease are younger/healthier or the disease is simply milder, like all corona viruses to flourish it must not incapacitate or kill the host. 

This local lockdown in parts of the North is a farce, pubs/hotels are still open but you can't pop round to see your family?