talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

Well I meant "safely".

I know for a fact that the law in Peru only allows her to go outside if vaccinated.

Let's hope what you say is true. I'm guessing it stops transmission too, as I've been reading? She lives with my uncle who is very close to me, but is also at risk.

Not sure about transmission but the main thing (for us in the UK anyway) was to stop severe illness or hospitalisations so that our health service doesn't get overwhelmed. 

Along with lockdown it seems to have worked. Deaths, cases and hospitalisations have all plummeted. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Not sure about transmission but the main thing (for us in the UK anyway) was to stop severe illness or hospitalisations so that our health service doesn't get overwhelmed. 

Along with lockdown it seems to have worked. Deaths, cases and hospitalisations have all plummeted. 

I was gonna say you got 7k cases yesterday, then I checked a graph and you had 58k a few months ago xD. Fair play. I'm dearly hoping this is the beginning of the end of this whole thing.

Peru is gonna be fucked for a bit longer, as I said every time I go on FB there is someone lamenting the death of a loved one, but here in Canada we are at the start of a third wave that is apparently going to be less deadly thanks to vaccinations in the elderly. At least here we'll be good after the summer I reckon and hope.

1 minute ago, nudge said:

New data suggests high effectiveness in preventing transmissions, too. Real-world data from Israel says 94% for asymptomatic and 97% for symptomatic transmissions, I think. 

Perfect, my dad would tell her to not go out yet, but she won't listen. So as long as she's safe we're good I think.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mpache said:

Perfect, my dad would tell her to not go out yet, but she won't listen. So as long as she's safe we're good I think.

Just keep in mind that it's not instant protection, it takes some time to build full immunity after vaccination. Approx. two weeks after the second dose. 

Just now, nudge said:

Just keep in mind that it's not instant protection, it takes some time to build full immunity after vaccination. Approx. two weeks after the second dose. 

Of course, I'm gonna assume she knows but we'll call anyways and remind her.

@nudge

Any study on how well the vaccine has affected the population?

And I mean vaccine related studies, not just dropped cases which could also be down to lockdowns.

There's a lot of tabloids putting scary headlines to gather clicks. There was a Sydney man who got the virus vaccinated after one dose, and a few fully vaccinated long term homes in BC with outbreaks, though it does say the disease is milder and less contagious. Sorry if it's a stupid question, just trying to fully understand how the vaccine works. If it fully prevents you from getting it, or if you get it and don't die from it.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Mpache said:

@nudge

Any study on how well the vaccine has affected the population?

And I mean vaccine related studies, not just dropped cases which could also be down to lockdowns.

There's a lot of tabloids putting scary headlines to gather clicks. There was a Sydney man who got the virus vaccinated after one dose, and a few fully vaccinated long term homes in BC with outbreaks, though it does say the disease is milder and less contagious. Sorry if it's a stupid question, just trying to fully understand how the vaccine works. If it fully prevents you from getting it, or if you get it and don't die from it.

It's a combination of both - it seems to effectively decrease the risk of both infection and severe disease.

Studies of effectiveness using real data:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765

https://github.com/ChronicDiseaseEpi/hcw/blob/master/vaccine_manuscript.pdf

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00448-7/fulltext

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's a combination of both - it seems to effectively decrease the risk of both infection and severe disease.

Studies of effectiveness using real data:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765

https://github.com/ChronicDiseaseEpi/hcw/blob/master/vaccine_manuscript.pdf

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00448-7/fulltext

Excellent, I'll give it a read. Appreciate the insight :) 

In hindsight, I don’t understand why the EU threw such a fit about AstraZeneca not delivering quickly enough, when very few Member States seem to be in a particular rush to vaccinate their populations, and half of them don’t even seem to want the AstraZeneca vaccine. 

It’s unbelievably callous, when so many countries across the world are desperate to get vaccines and get them in peoples’ arms.

And not only are they hoarding doses needlessly, they’re bolstering anti-vac ideology across the world. When you allow figures like Macron to come out saying the AstraZeneca vaccine is ineffective, when the German business media make blatantly incorrect reports, and multiple countries make unfounded inferences about its side-effects, you sabotage efforts across the world, potentially costing hundreds of thousands of excess deaths. 

Edited by Inverted

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Inverted said:

In hindsight, I don’t understand why the EU threw such a fit about AstraZeneca not delivering quickly enough, when very few Member States seem to be in a particular rush to vaccinate their populations, and half of them don’t even seem to want the AstraZeneca vaccine. 

It’s unbelievably callous, when so many countries across the world are desperate to get vaccines and get them in peoples’ arms.

And not only are they hoarding doses needlessly, they’re bolstering anti-vac ideology across the world. When you allow figures like Macron to come out saying the AstraZeneca vaccine is ineffective, when the German business media make blatantly incorrect reports, and multiple countries make unfounded inferences about its side-effects, you sabotage efforts across the world, potentially costing hundreds of thousands of excess deaths. 

Well, you have to understand though that those potential side effects that are being reported in numerous countries are extremely unusual in general population and therefore need to be properly investigated, as if it's indeed related to the vaccine in any way and if it keeps on happening, then you'll end up with more healthy people dying or in serious, life threatening condition which is unacceptable and could be avoided. 

Also, unfounded inferences? I don't know, nothing has been proven or denied yet. It could be a set of weird coincidences, some unrelated event that caused excess activation of coagulation system, some issue with the procedure of delivering the vaccine, a contaminated batch or equipment, some other issue in AstraZeneca's EU production line, some specific genetic marker that triggers the reaction, an issue with the vaccine itself, or something entirely different. But it's definitely worrying that there have been at least 40 documented cases in multiple countries within a short timeframe with the same severe symptoms that normally aren't observed in relatively young and healthy people, and so far the only thing linking all those cases is the AstraZeneca vaccine, so for me, stopping the use of it for two weeks until it is properly investigated sounds like a very reasonable thing to do. In fact, that's a pretty standard procedure to take precautionary measures when such severe events occure, regardless if it's a testing phase or a real-life scenario.

Straight out rejecting the idea that there might be a potential link of the vaccine and severe side effects is just as bad as being anti-vax, to be honest. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Good thread here explaining the recent AZ hype/news... 

It's not the regular thromboembolism events (i.e. single clot) that is the main cause of concern here though, it's the multiple clotting in unusual places in combination with low platelet count, which together led to brain haemorrhaging and is a very rare condition in general population, and also the fact that it suddenly occured in young(ish), otherwise healthy people in at least 3 different countries in a very short time frame (2-3 weeks).

• Upvote 1

I think the incidence for this particular form of thrombosis is about 5 in a million, so I don't know if the incidence amongst all vaccinated people in Europe is dramatically higher?

And, even if we accepted that the vaccine definitely caused this clotting in these cases, I find it very hard to accept that preventing these few cases of clotting is worth dramatically increasing the chance of a third wave in many countries. 

Edited by Inverted

1 minute ago, Inverted said:

I think the incidence for this particular form of thrombosis is about 5 in a million, so I don't know if the incidence amongst all vaccinated people in Europe is dramatically higher?

And, even if we accepted that the vaccine definitely caused this clotting in these cases, I find it very hard to accept that preventing these few cases of clotting is worth dramatically increasing the chance of a third wave in many countries. 

Yes it is worth it. I'm playing advocatus diaboli  here, nobody has proven the deads died because of Covid instead of just with Covid, whilst these cases are in fact dangerous potentially mortal conditions. As I said that's not necessarily my opinion, but questions why you risk the lives of young otherwise healthy persons to give over 100 year old persons the chance to live possibly only 1 day longer might arise, if you don't take precautions against these cases in order to prevent a possible third wave.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Inverted said:

And, even if we accepted that the vaccine definitely caused this clotting in these cases, I find it very hard to accept that preventing these few cases of throbbing is worth dramatically increasing the chance of a third wave in many countries. 

If it is indeed disseminated intravascular coagulation, as suspected, then the incidence in general population outside of hospitals is almost 0. It's a condition that is generally caused by major trauma, sepsis, cancer or extreme pregnancy complications, that's why it caused such concern when it suddenly happened in young and healthy people without any apparent reason, and is also the reason why it is being investigated. It is important to find out why it is happening and what triggered it, regardless if it vaccine-related or not.

I honestly don't think that suspending the use of one vaccine for two weeks while investigation is ongoing will have a massive impact, especially considering that a) other vaccines are still in use b) partial lockdown & social distancing measures are still in place c) AstraZeneca hasn't delivered that many doses to the EU anyway. Also, the so-called third wave is already there in some countries anyway.
One could argue that they could just stop using the two "suspicious" batches and keep on using the other ones, though. 

Spookily, without fail I've woken up between 6-30 and 7am in the morning as opposed to 8-9 since getting the vaccine. I'm not sure whether that is a symptom of a blood clot or that coronavirus is a hoax and the government have injected me with some chemicals to improve productivity. :ph34r:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

Spookily, without fail I've woken up between 6-30 and 7am in the morning as opposed to 8-9 since getting the vaccine. I'm not sure whether that is a symptom of a blood clot or that coronavirus is a hoax and the government have injected me with some chemicals to improve productivity. :ph34r:

The Honey Monster needs to great the breakfast sorted.