talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

1 minute ago, Stan said:

My mum tested positive for COVID on Thursday. 

Thankfully my dad, missus and I have all tested negative. 

She's double jabbed and I for one am glad for it. Without that I don't think she'd be here today. Or at least seriously suffering. 

Hope she ok mate and makes a full recovery, stay positive 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Stan said:

She's double jabbed and I for one am glad for it. Without that I don't think she'd be here today. Or at least seriously suffering. 

I hope she’s better ASAP mate.

My pal’s dad was double jabbed and got it (he had it before he got vaccinated too) and for someone who was double jabbed he ended up being a “long hauler” in that he felt constant symptoms since before he tested positive for about 3.5 weeks (a little less, but roughly 3.5 weeks). He says he feels as good as he did before getting sick with it the second time.

So for me I think that’s a lot to be hopeful with about your mum. I hope her symptoms are as mild as can be and she’s feeling back to her best as soon as she can.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Stan said:

All the best for your mum, mate. Hope she recovers quickly. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Stan said:

Glad she had the jabs, buddy, I hope she gets a 100% ok news, I bet she is glad she has family around her to make her feel better. 

The older you are the wiser you get, as you know me and the wife had the 2 jabs and we are in our 70's and we are both ok. :ay:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Dad's now tested positive. Feel an air of inevitability that it'll come my way soon! 

Just before Diwali as well, planned to meet family on Thursday and Friday! 

Shit. Hope your dad gets well soon. How's your mum holding up? Any symptoms? 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Shit. Hope your dad gets well soon. How's your mum holding up? Any symptoms? 

Cheers mate. 

She's doing okay, thanks for asking. Struggling with the quarantining as anyone would but she'll get there! Symptoms-wise not too bad. Lost sense of smell and taste but that's about it. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59163899

First pill to treat COVID approved in UK.

The first pill designed to treat symptomatic Covid has been approved by the UK medicines regulator.

The tablet - molnupiravir - will be given twice a day to vulnerable patients recently diagnosed with the disease.

In clinical trials the pill, originally developed to treat flu, cut the risk of hospitalisation or death by about half.

Health secretary Sajid Javid said the treatment as a "gamechanger" for the most frail and immunosuppressed.

In a statement he said: "Today is a historic day for our country, as the UK is now the first country in the world to approve an antiviral that can be taken at home for Covid."

Molnupiravir, developed by the US drug company Merck (known as MSD in the UK), is the first dedicated oral antiviral medication for Covid.

The pill is designed to introduce errors into the genetic code of the virus, preventing it from spreading in the body.

It works by targeting an enzyme the virus uses to make copies of itself.

Merck said that should make it equally effective against new variants of the virus as it evolves in the future.

In clinical trials on 775 patients in the study found:

• 7.3% of those given molnupiravir were hospitalised
  • that compares with 14.1% of patients who were given a placebo or dummy pill
  • there were no deaths in the molnupiravir group, but eight patients who were given a placebo in the trial later died of Covid

The data was published in a press release and has not yet been peer-reviewed.

Trial results suggest molnupiravir needs to be taken early after symptoms develop to have an effect. An earlier study in patients who had already been hospitalised with severe Covid was halted after disappointing results.

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber
On 04/11/2021 at 13:09, Stan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59163899

First pill to treat COVID approved in UK.

What's particularly encouraging is that Merck had entered into non-exclusive voluntary licensing agreements for molnupiravir with five Indian generics manufacturers, meaning that it should be widely accessible and affordable for developing countries, too. If it works as intended, then it could truly be a real game changer.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, nudge said:

What's particularly encouraging is that Merck had
entered into non-exclusive voluntary licensing agreements for molnupiravir with five Indian
generics manufacturers, meaning that it should be widely accessible and affordable for developing countries, too. If it works as intended, then it could truly be a real game changer.

And just on a very basic level, anyone avoiding the COVID vaccine(s) because of being afraid of needles doesn't have an excuse any more...

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

And just on a very basic level, anyone avoiding the COVID vaccine(s) because of being afraid of needles doesn't have an excuse any more...

Different purposes, tbh. Vaccine is supposed to be preventative, thereas the pill is for treatment once you get sick and are in a risk group due to age or medical conditions. If the pill works as intended, people can simply take it at home when diagnosed and avoid overloading healthcare system. A huge implication in ending the pandemic. Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 1

Here' s a collection of new stories from the US regions about vaccine controversy:

Maine - closure of some ICU services as workers refuse mandatory vaccines.

https://newsincontext.wordpress.com/2021/10/17/maine-hospital-planning-to-shut-down-large-portion-of-icu-if-unvaxxed-workers-do-not-comply/

NCY firefighters stand down over vaccines

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-11-04-nyc-begs-volunteer-firefighters-covid-jab-mandate.html#

12 Doctors (US) speak out about vaccine dangers

https://www.naturalnews.com/2021-11-04-doctors-seriously-injured-covid-injections-speak-out.html

Ontario and Quebec won't mandate jabs for health care workers, worried about shortages

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/great-news-folks-ontario-and-quebec-healthcare-jab-mandates-crushed/

LA Sheriff will not comly with mandatory vaccines
http://www.stationgossip.com/2021/11/los-angeles-county-sheriff-wont-enforce.html

Chicago judge says cops that won't take vaccine cannt be fired.
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/11/judge-says-chicago-cant-fire-cops-who-defy-vaccine-mandate-for-now/

Doctors blow the whistle on vaccine injuries despite job risk
https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2021/11/01/doctors-blow-the-whistle-on-vaccine-deaths-and-injuries/

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Further positive news about a tablet to prevent risk of hospitalisation/death in vulnerable adults:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59178291

An experimental pill to treat Covid developed by the US company Pfizer cuts the risk of hospitalisation or death by 89% in vulnerable adults, clinical trial results suggest.

The drug - Paxlovid - is intended for use soon after symptoms develop in people at high risk of severe disease.

It comes a day after the UK medicines regulator approved a similar treatment from Merck Sharp and Dohme (MSD).

Pfizer says it stopped trials early as the initial results were so positive.

The UK has already ordered 250,000 courses of the new Pfizer treatment along with another 480,000 courses of MSD's molnupiravir pill.

The Pfizer drug, known as a protease inhibitor, is designed to block an enzyme the virus needs in order to multiply. When taken alongside a low dose of another antiviral pill called ritonavir, it stays in the body for longer

The combination treatment works slightly differently to the Merck pill which introduces errors into the genetic code of the virus.

Pfizer said it plans to submit interim trial results for its pill to US medicines regulator the FDA as part of the emergency use application it started last month.

The company's chairman and chief executive officer Albert Bourla said the pill had "the potential to save patients' lives, reduce the severity of Covid-19 infections, and eliminate up to nine out of 10 hospitalisations".

Vaccines against Covid-19 are seen as the best way of controlling the pandemic but there is also demand for treatments that can be taken at home, particularly for vulnerable people who become infected.

Interim data from trials of the treatment in 1,219 high-risk patients who had recently been infected with Covid found that 0.8% of those given Paxlovid were hospitalised compared with 7% of patients who were given a placebo or dummy pill.

They were treated within three days of Covid symptoms starting.

Seven patients given the placebo died compared to none in the group given the pill.

When treated within five days of symptoms appearing, 1% given Paxlovid ended up in hospital and none died. This compared to 6.7% of the placebo group being hospitalised and 10 of them dying.

Patients in the trial, which has not yet been published or verified, were elderly or had an underlying health condition which put them at higher risk of serious illness from Covid. They all had mild to moderate symptoms of coronavirus.

Dr Stephen Griffin, associate professor in the School of Medicine at the University of Leeds, said: "The success of these antivirals potentially marks a new era in our ability to prevent the severe consequences of SARS-CoV2 [coronavirus] infection, and is also a vital element for the care of clinically vulnerable people who may be unable to either receive or respond to vaccines."

Pfizer is also studying the treatment's impact on people at low risk of Covid illness and on those who have already been exposed to the virus by someone in their household.

Weirdly, in the US it's also looking like the states that have the highest number of vaccine skeptics and the most resistance to mandates are suffering a far higher rate of COVID deaths.

I wonder if there's any correlation...

It's also been sad to see that people are dying over what looks to be a mostly partisan divide. Which begs the question... why is public health being turned into a political issue? Did this happen with polio or the measures taken to contain the Spanish flu? It seems strange to me that in some places politicians are sort of taking the stance that's likely to kill some of the people that vote for them.

On 08/11/2021 at 19:21, Gunnersauraus said:

@Waylander are you an anti vaxer or are you vacinated?

Aguero is double jabbed and currently enjoying his new heart problems like so many others, for a virus with a 99.99% survival rate and natural immunity being 15 times better than the vax, why would you get it?? :S  ..it doesn't stop the spread what so ever, makes no sense at all how they are trying to force people to get vaccinated especially when 90% of the people in hospital with covid are double jabbed, a healthy person has a better chance of fighting this naturally with your own anti bodies and immune system like god intended

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1