The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Fourth Round Matches - 24-27th January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Stan said:

Really? 

You wear red-tinted glasses if this is the case that you can't see it.

Let me ask you this - if it was Man Utd that had been taken to a replay, can you really see the kids being put out AND Klopp deciding to have a day off xD? In fact, not even just a side like Man Utd with the rivalry you have. Any decent Premier League side would not get this treatment from Klopp/Liverpool.

The Shrewsbury manager seems fine with it? 

Nice to see Nketiah has learnt under the tuition of Bielsa. That's what that kid does, score goals.

Arsenal have a great talent there for years to come. Lacazette's days look numbered with Eddie and Martinelli coming through.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Is Klopp actually “getting pissy”? Or is he prioritising retaining the Champions League and winning the clubs’ first league title in 30 years?

Yes.

Declaring that you're not going to be manager for one game as some sort of 'protest' against something they were told could happen by the FA before the start of the season constitutes as 'getting pissy'. 

Fine to prioritise the other competitions but let's face it, only the CL needs to be prioritised. The league is done, they've won that at a canter. 

4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Is Klopp actually “getting pissy”? Or is he prioritising retaining the Champions League and winning the clubs’ first league title in 30 years?

Nobody is really that bothered about the team selection. It’s the “I’m not gonna be there” part that I think is uncalled for. 

I’m not overly arsed about it. It’s done now. We are gonna look a bit silly for a few day’s but it’ll come and go. Agree with not risking our first team for it, everything else I’ve said enough. 

• Subscriber

I dont see why anyone really cares apart from Liverpool fans and Shrewsbury fans maybe but if we're going to play the game... 

I get Klopp not wanting to play any senior players but it is still a senior fixture, so I think really he should be on the sideline. The Aston Villa instance was obviously different because he couldn't have been there if he'd wanted to.

Then again, did anyone give a shit when Fat Sam sent Craig Shakespeare out to manage an Everton B team in a Europa League game in Cyprus which was a dead rubber? I bet nobody else even remembers that. It's the best comparison I can think of and the only conclusion I can draw is that Jurgen Klopp is basically the same person as Sam Allardyce. Seriously though, I don't agree with Klopp sending the reserves manager but I also don't see why anyone cares.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Liverpool and Bournemouth need investigating, how a deal of £20m was concluded for Solanke is mind-boggling. 

I was asking myself earlier, 'what does he actually do?'

Doesn't shoot, doesn't score, not great aerially for a tall lad, doesn't really put his body about considering his size. Also doesn't seem to link that well with midfield or other strikers. How they got £20m is mad.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I was asking myself earlier, 'what does he actually do?'

Doesn't shoot, doesn't score, not great aerially for a tall lad, doesn't really put his body about considering his size. Also doesn't seem to link that well with midfield or other strikers. How they got £20m is mad.

He does nothing, literally did nothing at Pool to suggest he would be anything decent. No idea why they shelled out all that money for him. 

Made that tough in the end, we was easily in control of that and then we typically concede a shit goal. Disappointed with that but a good display by the young lads. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Yes.

Declaring that you're not going to be manager for one game as some sort of 'protest' against something they were told could happen by the FA before the start of the season constitutes as 'getting pissy'. 

Fine to prioritise the other competitions but let's face it, only the CL needs to be prioritised. The league is done, they've won that at a canter. 

That sort of thinking is how you go from being 3-0 up at halftime in a CL final, to losing to a massive underdog. Or conceding 4 goals after taking a 3-0 lead at home in the first leg of a CL semi-final. Or in our case, how you let a massive chasm in terms of points between first and second evaporate. And the CL is about momentum as much as anything, if we weren't as good as we were around the end of last season in the league - I doubt we'd have the belief to take the game to Barca and overcome a 4-3 deficit.

We've very clearly got a goal: win the league, and do it ASAP. That means we've got to focus on winning as many games as possible until that title is actually decided and we know that the last match at Anfield involves Jordan Henderson lifting the trophy above his head. We also very clearly want to defend our CL title.

Klopp's been pushing for a break here in England for a long time, since his first time experiencing the festive fixture pileup. And he's not the first manager to think that our players should have a break. Now that we've actually got a break, having a match during that week off does defeat the entire purpose. And regardless of whether clubs were told it could happen, I'm sure Klopp made up his mind before the match that if it went to a replay the first team wouldn't show up. And I don't blame him. The FA might not like it, but the winter break was done so sloppily by the league and FA that a manager making this kind of decision sends a pretty big message about how he thinks the break's been implemented.

At the end of the day, I think the ultimate solution is pretty far from ideal and I'm not sure how I feel about it. But I think the fixture pileup for footballers playing at the top level is unsustainable, the pressures the players and the managers are under leads to things like Rashford having a fracture in his spine and being told to play through the pain and getting more injured. Or the recent injuries to Kane, Vardy, Mane, etc... Rather than devalue our domestic cups further than they are present day, by scrapping replays (which are beneficial to smaller clubs, with the gate sharing) or taking sides in Europe out of the League Cup... I think it might be worth dropping down to 18 sides in the prem.

I think the big risk there though is if you've got that TV money being divided by 2 less clubs, that then furthers the wealth gap between the sides that have been in the prem for a while and the sides coming up from the Championship. And given that the Championship looks like a collection of clubs with really fragile financial situations from clubs hoping to get the big money in the top flight... further wealth disparity could put the future of more clubs in jeopardy.

I also don't see what the big deal about him not turning up to manage the kids is. The U-23 side is going to be given a shot and I don't see why the manager they work with day in and day out wouldn't be the man to lead them out, rather than a guy who's used to working with players like Firmino, Mane, and Salah and who's expectations of what players should do on the pitch might be waaaaay too unrealistic for what youth prospects can actually deliver with a full XI of youth prospects. They'll be getting a chance to further their development... why not have the man that's been hired to guide them on their development, our U-23 manager, be the man that keeps doing that? Because Klopp's going to probably be working with the first team squad, as he was hired to do.

I just hope we don't do that warm weather training bollocks during the break - because every time the squad comes back from those they play like they've never seen a football before in their life.

• Subscriber

The gripe I've got is that this schedule has been around for years - flawed it may be, why is it all of a sudden a problem?

This isn't aimed at just Klopp, there are others, but I'm a bit uneasy with the schedule adapting to the managers rather than the managers adapting to the schedule - granted that farce with Liverpool in the World Club Cup was an exception.

Like I said many a time though, the winter break was just another box ticking exercise. Smiley was right. Reduce the league to 18 teams if you're truly bothered about lowering fatigue. This winter break is just virtue signalling.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

The gripe I've got is that this schedule has been around for years - flawed it may be, why is it all of a sudden a problem?

This isn't aimed at just Klopp, there are others, but I'm a bit uneasy with the schedule adapting to the managers rather than the managers adapting to the schedule - granted that farce with Liverpool in the World Club Cup was an exception.

Like I said many a time though, the winter break was just another box ticking exercise. Smiley was right. Reduce the league to 18 teams if you're truly bothered about lowering fatigue. This winter break is just virtue signalling.

The gripes aren’t new? I remember Houllier, Wenger, Rafa, Mourinho and others make arguments that a break was necessary.

Anyways, Klopp’s response to the fume about him playing the kids & him not turning up for the replay:

1qsemjrsgad41.jpg

8 hours ago, Stan said:

Yes.

I can’t say that I’ve seen it that way at all. 

8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I dont see why anyone really cares apart from Liverpool fans and Shrewsbury fans maybe but if we're going to play the game... 

I get Klopp not wanting to play any senior players but it is still a senior fixture, so I think really he should be on the sideline. The Aston Villa instance was obviously different because he couldn't have been there if he'd wanted to.

Then again, did anyone give a shit when Fat Sam sent Craig Shakespeare out to manage an Everton B team in a Europa League game in Cyprus which was a dead rubber? I bet nobody else even remembers that. It's the best comparison I can think of and the only conclusion I can draw is that Jurgen Klopp is basically the same person as Sam Allardyce. Seriously though, I don't agree with Klopp sending the reserves manager but I also don't see why anyone cares.

Klopp is a nasty foreigner who's ruined the FA Cup isn't he

The more I think about it, the lesser my feelings get. Going over what a lot of you lads have said in here has given me the chance to take my blinkers off a bit. 

I’m not saying I 100% agree with him not being at Anfield, but I accept his reasons for not doing so. Do think that this issue is ours to deal with and the likes of some random bastard from Accrington gobbing off is quite hilarious. 

Also, that picture @Dr. Gonzo posted is hilarious 

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Yeah like mighty Shrewsbury Town will win at Anfield :D. They did the best they could, but at Anfield they are losing even if Klopp does field an under 18 team.

The kids getting passed Shrewsbury in the replay is highly dependant on the likes of Curtis Jones and Neco Williams being involved. Whether they're classed as part of the senior squad because they've been on the bench in a few League and European games I'm not sure. Without those they have no chance

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

The kids getting passed Shrewsbury in the replay is highly dependant on the likes of Curtis Jones and Neco Williams being involved. Whether they're classed as part of the senior squad because they've been on the bench in a few League and European games I'm not sure. Without those they have no chance

Well if he fields a team that played against Villa in the League Cup it will be very difficult. Just don't see it happening or do i? haha

4 hours ago, True Blue said:

Well if he fields a team that played against Villa in the League Cup it will be very difficult. Just don't see it happening or do i? haha

Well if we take his word for it, it will be similar. Possibly with the inclusion of the players I mentioned

• The topic was unpinned

Archived