talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

Just now, Grizzly21 said:

My dad is a Leeds fan and my uncle is a Liverpool fan, neither of them were big fans of Ferdinand. They say they just didn't like him as a defender. Of course, overrated doesn't imply "bad", but it's just their personal opinion of Ferdinand as a whole. Weren't a fan of their style of defending. They both watch more Premier League football than me currently, and have been huge English football fans since they moved to South Africa back in the 70's, so I trust them but I myself don't have a genuine say on why I think he was overrated.

I think the problem lies with the teams they support as to their judgment.......

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I think the problem lies with the teams they support as to their judgment.......

Well, I'll give you that my uncle has big problems with certain players and he sticks with the opinion. He's never wanted to give Higuain any credit for example xD

My dad on the other hand does give credit when it's due, but he's just never liked Ferdinand. He's not vendetta filled or anything, he was just never a fan of his style of play.

Edited by Guest

On 14/09/2019 at 17:56, Grizzly21 said:

My dad is a Leeds fan and my uncle is a Liverpool fan, neither of them were big fans of Ferdinand. They say they just didn't like him as a defender. Of course, overrated doesn't imply "bad", but it's just their personal opinion of Ferdinand as a whole. Weren't a fan of their style of defending. They both watch more Premier League football than me currently, and have been huge English football fans since they moved to South Africa back in the 70's, so I trust them but I myself don't have a genuine say on why I think he was overrated.

Ferdinand was superb. A calm, cool head who never looked troubled at his best. Could play a bit too. Partnered with a hard as nails centre back like vidic (or dare I say it, terry for England) it was the perfect centre back pairing. He did have the odd mistake in him but he should be remembered as great defender. 

As for him personally. His cynical exploitation of personal grief is sickening and he comes across as an absolute cretin. 

• Upvote 3

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.ab0a63292238c8041a37067a1cf4dbfa.png

Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof has signed a new contract through to the summer of 2024, with the option of a further year.

The Sweden international, 25, has made 74 appearances for the club since joining from Benfica for £31m in June 2017.

"Since the day I arrived at United it has felt like home," said Lindelof.

"I've grown significantly both as a player and as a person in the last two years."

Lindelof has started every game for United so far this season alongside £80m summer signing Harry Maguire.

He is the second Manchester United player to commit his future to the club this week after goalkeeper David de Gea signed a new deal on Monday.

"I know that everyone at the club shares this vision and will give everything to get Manchester United back to where it belongs," added Lindelof, who began his career at Swedish club Vasteras before moving to Benfica in 2011.

"I'm still young and know I can improve further but with the help of the boss and his coaching staff, I believe that only good things are ahead for this great club."

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: "Victor has established himself here and has become a very important part of our team. He brings calmness on the pitch and I can see that he is determined to help this club and to be successful here.

"I'm extremely happy that he has committed his future to Manchester United. We're all looking forward to working together to deliver the success and get United back to where we know the club belongs."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49745989

On 14/09/2019 at 15:59, Grizzly21 said:

Well, I'll give you that my uncle has big problems with certain players and he sticks with the opinion. He's never wanted to give Higuain any credit for example xD

My dad on the other hand does give credit when it's due, but he's just never liked Ferdinand. He's not vendetta filled or anything, he was just never a fan of his style of play.

He never watched him play for Leeds then?

15 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Greenwood scored against Astana. The fact Man Utd were only able to beat them by a goal is more of a negative for Man Utd than a positive.

Saka scored a goal and got 2 assists against a decent Bundesliga side. Greenwood isn't worthy of shining Saka's boots. :coffee:

On 16/09/2019 at 10:44, The Artful Dodger said:

Ferdinand was superb. A calm, cool head who never looked troubled at his best. Could play a bit too. Partnered with a hard as nails centre back like vidic (or dare I say it, terry for England) it was the perfect centre back pairing. He did have the odd mistake in him but he should be remembered as great defender. 

As for him personally. His cynical exploitation of personal grief is sickening and he comes across as an absolute cretin. 

Exploitation or cathartic release? Very judgemental when you don't know the man personally.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

Exploitation or cathartic release? Very judgemental when you don't know the man personally.

It's crass and poor taste to exploit tragedy like he did. I know it's trendy and acceptable to brag about your grief nowadays but i see nothing more than a cynical PR exercise. 

Edited by The Artful Dodger

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

It's crass and poor taste to exploit tragedy like he did. Wanker and a hypocrite. 

Maybe for you but it may have been something to help him get over it. Everybody mourns differently. Geez not many men can open up on how difficult it is being a widower and a single-parent, let alone let people and the public in. If it helps anyone, I'm sure it's job is accomplished. Looking through life with a cynical lens doesn't make your correct or smart. 

Who are you to question the sincerity and mourning of another person?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe for you but it may have been something to help him get over it. Everybody mourns differently. Geez not many men can open up on how difficult it is being a widower and a single-parent, let alone let people and the public in. If it helps anyone, I'm sure it's job is accomplished. Looking through life with a cynical lens doesn't make your correct or smart. 

Who are you to question the sincerity and mourning of another person?

Ferdinand was a known cheat. Sorry I don't respect anyone who does that and then come out with this cynical PR stunt. Some people feel far more pain than he ever will and would be mortified at thought of making a show of it. Fuck him, total cunt. 

Ps didn't he have a new bird waiting in the wings that he announced shortly after? Cynicism is absolutely healthy in the world we live in I'm afraid. 

Edited by The Artful Dodger
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Ferdinand was a known cheat. Sorry I don't respect anyone who does that and then come out with this cynical PR stunt. Some people feel far more pain than he ever will and would be mortified at thought of making a show of it. Fuck him, total cunt. 

It's not an emotional pain competition. Cheater or not, it's much easier to judge someone than to really understand them. A pain shares is a pained halved, and as far as I know putting a story in the spotlight can help others. You can look at it through the idea of 'exploitation' if you really must but I'd rather think of the people it could have help through empathy and shared experiences. For some, even knowing that the millionaire footballer with everything material in this world can suffer through similar emotions is enough.