• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Man City Receive Two Year Champions League Ban

Recommended Posts

So that's what they decided to do then, I was reading an article earlier today where they said a decision was imminent... City will continue to fight it tooth and nail no doubt... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manchester City say they are "disappointed but not surprised" by the "prejudicial" decision and will appeal.

They added in a statement: "The club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

"In December 2018, the Uefa chief investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun.

"The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked Uefa process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver. The club has formally complained to the Uefa disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.

"Simply put, this is a case initiated by Uefa, prosecuted by Uefa and judged by Uefa. With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves until after any appeal, but if it were to be upheld, would that mean 5th place get a Champions League spot, assuming Manchester City finish top 4?

As I say, wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves with this. I'd hope if it is upheld this sets a precedent and all clubs from here on in are treated the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TAD is spot on, could easily see City winning the appeal. Doubt UEFA will have the balls to uphold it especially if it starts affecting other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

TAD is spot on, could easily see City winning the appeal. Doubt UEFA will have the balls to uphold it especially if it starts affecting other teams. 

With evidence I find it unlikely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this makes it slightly more likely that we'll qualify for the Europa League again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

"Simply put, this is a case initiated by Uefa, prosecuted by Uefa and judged by Uefa. With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

Who would have thought that UEFA would initiate and investigate possible breaches into UEFA rules and then have UEFA prosecute and judge whether or not UEFA rules were broken!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Who would have thought that UEFA would initiate and investigate possible breaches into UEFA rules and then have UEFA prosecute and judge whether or not UEFA rules were broken!

Yea, crazy stuff..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If leaked emails and voicemails are the evidence UEFA has, I think they should have a pretty ironclad case at the CAS appeal. The idea that UEFA can't initiate, investigate, and prosecute it's own rule violations is absurd - the issue will be weather UEFA has the evidence to demonstrate that Man City were going around trying to hide their FFP violations. And apparently these evidence include emails and voicemails that demonstrate that City was misreporting the "sponsorships" from their parent company in order to inflate their numbers to get passed FFP. If CAS overturns this (not lessens - I could see maybe evidence showing that City was committing wrongdoing but 2 years is too harsh, but fully overturns this), then I think CAS will look very corrupt considering the reported evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

City have been inflating their numbers for years. It’s alway a sellout at the Etihad apparently, even though we all see those swathes of empty blue seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the league takes a look into this shite as well too.

Can they deduct points? Can they deduct points from... last season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the FA will definitely look into it evidence is there to see 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

City have been inflating their numbers for years. It’s alway a sellout at the Etihad apparently, even though we all see those swathes of empty blue seats.

That's quite common though, Arsenal always lie about their attendances. In fairness, I think that's more out of embarrassment that they can't sell out their ground that often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I think the FA will definitely look into it evidence is there to see 

Can they though? Unless City have to submit figures to them, I’m not sure how they can. I think Companies House may take an interest in this, as declaring dodgy accounts is punishable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

That's quite common though, Arsenal always lie about their attendances. In fairness, I think that's more out of embarrassment that they can't sell out their ground that often.

Isn’t it something to do with the amount of tickets officially sold? So it’s not turnstile numbers persay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Isn’t it something to do with the amount of tickets officially sold? So it’s not turnstile numbers persay?

Yeah, you have a load of corporate tickets which are sold for a season etc and they often don't turn up at all. They are counting them. Arsenal are bad culprits for it, a lot of their fans are gimps from Hampstead who only go to football because it's a nice social event, so if it clashes with a cheese and wine festival they don't turn up. Hence the vast amount of empty seats at any given Arsenal game, except from the big ones.

I have more respect for Manchester City, their fanbse is still solidly Manchester based. It will take a while to grown.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Guardiola will quit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Can they though? Unless City have to submit figures to them, I’m not sure how they can. I think Companies House may take an interest in this, as declaring dodgy accounts is punishable. 

"High-level sources say that will force the Premier League to act due to their own licensing, which pertains to Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations.

The issue comes because any club has to supply true information to get a Premier League licence, and that information will have had to have matched that supplied to Uefa.

It is understood Premier League committees had already discussed potential punishments on the provision that Uefa punished City, and a points deduction is now seen as highly likely."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-banned-champions-league-premier-points-uefa-fair-play-a9336946.html?fbclid=IwAR1I9To5fj928xMK3TBygqPJnQMo6J51MAr0b901rVQOxP_1Llj8sx5REHU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

I think the FA will definitely look into it evidence is there to see 

That's the main problem, they don't have any evidence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If leaked emails and voicemails are the evidence UEFA has, I think they should have a pretty ironclad case at the CAS appeal. The idea that UEFA can't initiate, investigate, and prosecute it's own rule violations is absurd - the issue will be weather UEFA has the evidence to demonstrate that Man City were going around trying to hide their FFP violations. And apparently these evidence include emails and voicemails that demonstrate that City was misreporting the "sponsorships" from their parent company in order to inflate their numbers to get passed FFP. If CAS overturns this (not lessens - I could see maybe evidence showing that City was committing wrongdoing but 2 years is too harsh, but fully overturns this), then I think CAS will look very corrupt considering the reported evidence.

They don't have any real evidence, this will be laughed out of court, it's a few bitter old men at UEFA who will lose there jobs over this 

"In December 2018, the UEFA Chief Investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun." :o

Bent fuckers!!  ..think UEFA are still bitter about losing to us in court last time but they don't learn, this is on the same level as FC Porto making an official complaint because our fans sang Hulk is not incredible :rofl:  UEFA have some "alleged" hacked emails :| that will not stand up in court

Edited by Happy Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand how there can be any grey area here that allows an appeal. The numbers are there in black and white, they either did it or they didn't. Unless the numbers have been fiddled in which case we're having a completely different conversation. This whole charade of banning clubs or inflicting transfer bans and then the clubs getting away with it anyway is baffling and surely corrupt. 

FFP hasn't even been around that long and theres already enough of a stereotype of it happening that everyone just assumes it'll get turned over on appeal.

If I was as poor at disciplining teenagers as the footballing authorities are at disciplining clubs who break black and white rules about finances and transfers I'd be out of a job xD.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking. Hilarious. They can say goodbye to Pep. New manager is gonna be Craig Bellamy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll probably hold back the appeal result until after the league season has finished and give their verdict based on whoever finishes 5th - if it's Manchester United then they'll lose it, if it's Sheffield United or Wolves they'll win it.

I'm obviously cynical but it really wouldn't shock me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement